So humans are cursed Vrykul?

90 Troll Hunter
I just completed the quest "Family Tree" with Lorewalker Cho. I was on my Undead Priest. In the spirit haze there are 5 or 6 humans, but behind them are 2 Vrykul. A male and a female.

After some digging online, I found a post that claimed that humans were created as a severe side effect of the Vrykul curse. This is the first time I've heard of the "Vrykul curse". Can anyone enlighten me a bit further on this topic?

It doesn't really make sense from the way I'm looking at it now. /confused
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Sadly as the lore stands yes we are cursed Vrykul and I want it retconned to hell.

The Curse of Flesh
Edited by Valius on 12/10/2012 7:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
The vrykuls are indeed the progenitors of humanity, as proven in Wrath. It didn't nearly have the impact it should've had on human society. You learn it in a quest in Howling fjord, and if you don't read quest text, you'll never notice.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
This was explained in WOTLK.

Basically Vrykul were originally made as shocktroopers for the titans in Northrend. The Old Gods afflicted them with the Curse of Flesh wish turned them into mortal beings like it did the dwarves. Yatta yatta yatta, stuff happens.

Well, it turns out the Vrykul's curse mutated. Their children began being born small and much weaker than they were supposed to be. Generally these inferior children were destroyed however a few Vrykul did not want to kill their children, but they couldn't hide the children because they would be killed if they were found out. So the Vrykul with deformed children sailed away to what is now the Eastern Kingdoms and yatta yatta yatta they eventually become the humans we know today.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
The origins of humanity are uncovered through a series of visions, early in Alliance-side Howling Fjord questing. These pages have the relevant dialogue.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Quest:Into_the_World_of_Spirits
http://www.wowpedia.org/Quest:The_Echo_of_Ymiron
http://www.wowpedia.org/Quest:Anguish_of_Nifflevar
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
After the titans left the planet the Old Gods started corrupting the robots they left behind to manage it with the "Curse of the Flesh". This basically turned the robots into us.

In the Vykrul this presented as ALL their kids suddenly were human babies. Horrified, they went to sleep till the Titans returned to save them. Arthas woke them up instead since the Titans never returned.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
The revelation never really affects anything, sadly. You'd think they'd make a bigger deal out of this but after finishing the last flashback quest it's never brought up again.

Well okay it's brought up once more, when the draenei shaman reappears in Cata-Westfall and makes some vague allusions to it.

But it's never mentioned in Northrend again.
Reply Quote
Wasn't the original, predominant theory that humans and gnomes were an offshoot of the dwarves?

I liked that better.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
See, I liked the vrykul lineage thing. If humans had come from dwarves, then that just means we came from Earthen and the curse of flesh anyway. That's better, somehow? I don't see it.

The vrykul connection gives WoW humans a link to the past (pre or post Titans) like the elves, trolls, tauren, etc all have. It also fits into the Titan lineage, where all the Titans coincidentally look like huge, metallic humans, with distinctly human features.

I just wish something - anything - had been done with it.
Hell, if the problem the vrykul had was that humans were born too small and weak, all the !@# kicking they received in Northrend should have done something to prove to them that their descendants can be magical murder machines, too, just like grandpa! We could've seen some of them in Stormwind showing off the runic magic that Dalaran had never seen before, or just tromping around as NPCs, complaining about being unable to fit in the doorways.

Also, I want their models and skeletons for my human toons.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
Its easy for hordies to miss this fact since it never comes up at all in horde questing and unless you read online lore sources or play on the allaince side you never discover it. In short yes.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
It's not really important, since we've long since transcended our origins.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
See, I liked the vrykul lineage thing. If humans had come from dwarves, then that just means we came from Earthen and the curse of flesh anyway. That's better, somehow? I don't see it.

The vrykul connection gives WoW humans a link to the past (pre or post Titans) like the elves, trolls, tauren, etc all have. It also fits into the Titan lineage, where all the Titans coincidentally look like huge, metallic humans, with distinctly human features.

I just wish something - anything - had been done with it.
Hell, if the problem the vrykul had was that humans were born too small and weak, all the !@# kicking they received in Northrend should have done something to prove to them that their descendants can be magical murder machines, too, just like grandpa! We could've seen some of them in Stormwind showing off the runic magic that Dalaran had never seen before, or just tromping around as NPCs, complaining about being unable to fit in the doorways.

Also, I want their models and skeletons for my human toons.

The lineage doesn't bother me. It's the OLD GOD homogenization crap that bugs me.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I actually kind of liked the Azotha theory. Not only did it innately tie Humanity to Azeroth as a native race, but it gave the impression that whatever humanity has ever done in it's history has been won with hard work, grit, and tenacity rather than some unseen metal sky gods hitting us with their mechanical spice weasels and shouting "BAM"
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
12/10/2012 09:37 PMPosted by Arieus
I actually kind of liked the Azotha theory. Not only did it innately tie Humanity to Azeroth as a native race, but it gave the impression that whatever humanity has ever done in it's history has been won with hard work, grit, and tenacity rather than some unseen metal sky gods hitting us with their mechanical spice weasels and shouting "BAM"

Eh, they're not exactly mutually exclusive. It's not like the humans retained their titan benefits after all, Vrykul implied their kids could -walk- after being born. Humans certainly can't do that.

I get where you're coming from though, sort of how I hope the Earthmother isn't some random bull ancient or eonar or something.

And Elune shouldn't be a naaru.
Reply Quote
88 Undead Warlock
12/10/2012 07:42 PMPosted by Valius
Sadly as the lore stands yes we are cursed Vrykul and I want it retconned to hell.

Why?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Eh, they're not exactly mutually exclusive. It's not like the humans retained their titan benefits after all, Vrykul implied their kids could -walk- after being born. Humans certainly can't do that.

I get where you're coming from though, sort of how I hope the Earthmother isn't some random bull ancient or eonar or something.

And Elune shouldn't be a naaru.

Personally, when it comes to Higher powers like Elune, The Light, the Elements, or the Earthmother, very little information should be disclosed about how they work or are used.

I am essentially a Green Lantern now.
Reply Quote
2 Gnome Warrior
12/10/2012 07:48 PMPosted by Mordstreich
Basically Vrykul were originally made as shocktroopers for the titans in Northrend. The Old Gods afflicted them with the Curse of Flesh wish turned them into mortal beings like it did the dwarves. Yatta yatta yatta, stuff happens.

I don't recall Vrykul being made by the Titans, is that true or just speculation?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
12/10/2012 09:46 PMPosted by Haaely

I don't recall Vrykul being made by the Titans, is that true or just speculation?

Its speculated that they are Titan creations due to the Iron Vrykul, which are Loken's creations. The Iron army is largely composed of the Iron Version of the Titan's creations (Stone Giants=Iron Giants, Earthen=Iron Dwarves, Stone Golems=Iron Golems, etc).

Also, their past worship of the Pantheon seems to indicate that they are linked to the Titans, as well as their Frost Vrykul brothers.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior

Why?

Cause I really think the homogenization of Old Gods being involved with everything is just stupid and weakens the lore. I want it retconned..NOW. That's a Ret-Con I'll follow. The Azotha being just a descendant to Humanity or heck Vrykul>Azotha>Humans but no Old God crap.

Personally, when it comes to Higher powers like Elune, The Light, the Elements, or the Earthmother, very little information should be disclosed about how they work or are used.

I am essentially a Green Lantern now.

Yeah....the fact they put it faith based...killed Paladins.
Edited by Lorthuron on 12/10/2012 9:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
They're described as a seed race guys that doesn't leave much room to argue.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]