10M Garalon

90 Blood Elf Priest
Hi all,

My raid has hit a block on Garalon. We're 3-healing and including tanks in kiting rotation to try to maximize DPS on the boss. Heals don't seem up to snuff and I'm looking for feedback - how well my cohealers are doing since I'm rusty with druids and never clicked with shaman healing, as well as my own performance. I know my shaman can give me more, but the druid is rarely an offhealer that has really focused on boomkin gear and reforging. We're frequently dying to silly mistakes (Rogue using Killing Spree right after a crush, people outranging healers, etc.) but every little bit counts.

I normally run disc, but tried Holy early in the evening. I went back to discipline in the hopes of helping with a little DPS.

What do you think?

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/p9iljtldod9uo36k/

Thanks!
Edited by Nyrok on 12/10/2012 10:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
Two of your healers definitely have the needed HPS to handle the damage. Your third healer could improve a bit.

I heal as disc, and for this fight, I found that it's useful to rearrange the groups to make PoH hit as many targets as possible -- group players together in the same party that you expect to be near each other.

We have our third healer participate in the pheromone swapping, and she also heals the pheromone targets and the tanks. It seems to work fine.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6794980143
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Hi Nyrok!

I started out as Holy for the fight, too. I was convinced I could not do the fight as Disc because of the spread.

It would be useful to know exactly who is kiting the pheromone with the tanks.

I would recommend making sure that you have at least one group with all of the melee not soaking the pheromone, plus whoever you have at range. Try to group the ranged as close to the Melee as you can manage so you can minimize the amount of movement they have to make. I would also say that beyond dotting up the leg that's normally in the pheromones 100% of the time, you should tell the ranged to say off the legs and let the Rogue and other melee go at the legs themselves. This will help boost the overall DPS you manage to put on the boss.

If you can get your ranged mostly grouped up in the middle-ish of the platform, the Shaman should have no problems a) putting down Healing Rain (which he needs to be doing) and b) using Chain Heal (which would likely be more efficient than what he IS doing).

Until your ranged learn to stay close to the melee pack (and thus the healers) and your Rogue takes things like Killing Spree off his bar, you're probably going to continue to have issues.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
I looked at your longest attempt where you hit enrage:

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/p9iljtldod9uo36k/sum/healingDone/?s=6950&e=7376

you had plenty of healing there, and apart from that earlier pheremone death which was probably(?) healing fail (one healer needs to be assigned to make sure they get out to the front/inside of the boss and top up the pheremone kiter from time to time) and then what looks like it might be a pheremone swap screwup(?) at the end, you appear to have a slight dps issue there mostly.

here's the dps for our kill this week on 10N for comparison:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/i1j2uj06ftfszyzc/sum/damageDone/?s=10151&e=10496

and the healing: 2 healing on my monk and with a pally, including an awesome derp from me chi-torpedoing under the boss by mistake and causing an extra crush:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/i1j2uj06ftfszyzc/sum/healingDone/?s=10151&e=10496

you guys have more hps cumulatively than we did by about 40k-50k

you really don't look far from a kill at all, you probably just need to tidy up your kiting and healing of the kiter a little and the dps just need to raise it a little. you could probably 2-heal it once the rest is cleaned up because the raid damage will suit the combined output of you and your shaman (you two guys did more hps than me and my pally)

our first kill was very much like that log of yours above - we were 3-healing cos at the time it seemed way too hard to keep up with the damage 2-healing it which turned out to be cos the kiting was a bit messy. we actually killed it 5 seconds into the enrage, the boss had done it's upheaval animation for the massive crush raid-wipe attack, and it died in the air a split second before actually executing it
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
HC
Your rdruid should be using WG more. Like... A lot more. Make sure he knows that by healing someone that's sort of far away, their WG will use that target to determine the range. So it'll heal people even farther from him, without having to be there.
There's also no swiftmend/efflo healing?

Seems like your raid isn't stacking either, along with taking massive damage from something they shouldn't (possibly causing crushes when they shouldn't). Getting hit by Furious Swipes maybe. But your rsham should be making use of Healing Rain. I don't even see him using it on the attempts I'm looking at.
Look at this:
http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-gf312g5htkimg30z/details/0/?s=5245&e=5614

Healing Rain @ 41.8% of his healing done................ (f u sensations)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Try two healing the fight, get one healer to purely focus raid wide, and the other healer to focus tanks and pheromone carriers; makes the fight really simple
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Your rdruid should be using WG more. Like... A lot more. Make sure he knows that by healing someone that's sort of far away, their WG will use that target to determine the range. So it'll heal people even farther from him, without having to be there.

Just by perusing the log, I think their Resto Druid is kiting the pheromone with the tanks. Which means that if the Ranged are spread out all over the place, it's going to be difficult for him to get Efflos and WGs off that do...well, much of anything.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
HC

Just by perusing the log, I think their Resto Druid is kiting the pheromone with the tanks. Which means that if the Ranged are spread out all over the place, it's going to be difficult for him to get Efflos and WGs off that do...well, much of anything.

I do it just fine.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/11/2012 12:04 AMPosted by Fleurs
I do it just fine.

Your DPS also stand in the blue circle. :-P

I have a feeling his ranged are like my ranged - I don't have enough Lifegrips to "encourage" them to be close to me.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
This is one of the few fights where resto druids pull ahead of other healers. right before every crush, make sure the bulk of your dps is stacked tight... and have the druid pop swiftment on the lowest hp person within your stacking crowd. Also, as said above... WG more!.... this should be the druids number 1 or number 2 ability. My group 3 heals this as well, but two of our healers are kiters. So i end up healing the bulk majority of the damage. I see you guys don't have a pally... A little trick we use, our pally BoPs me right before a crush, and I preload a tranq before, and through the crush. Another strat i've seen some groups use; have your tanks switch to dps spec... if they're plate gear is decent enough they should be fine soaking. Also, tell your rogue to stop sucking... he should be number 1 on dps (unless you have him soaking, which is a bad idea).

You have 3 melee dps... Assign one of the 3 a lead, put a marker on him... and make sure the other two are standing on top of him at all times.... Our group, we also have the ranged trying to stack in the blue circle as much as possible. Remember, each leg you kill is 3% of his health... kill the legs by standing in the blue circle you get a dps buff for the duration you stay inside that blue circle. So have your dps practice trying to keep the uptime of the buff up.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/lit5m9ti942vdpvn/sum/healingDone/?s=2104&e=2491
Edited by Tripcy on 12/11/2012 1:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
This is one of the few fights where resto druids pull ahead of other healers. right before every crush, make sure the bulk of your dps is stacked tight... and have the druid pop swiftment on the lowest hp person within your stacking crowd. Also, as said above... WG more!.... this should be the druids number 1 or number 2 ability. My group 3 heals this as well, but two of our healers are kiters. So i end up healing the bulk majority of the damage. I see you guys don't have a pally... A little trick we use, our pally BoPs me right before a crush, and I preload a tranq before, and through the crush. Another strat i've seen some groups use; have your tanks switch to dps spec... if they're plate gear is decent enough they should be fine soaking. Also, tell your rogue to stop sucking... he should be number 1 on dps (unless you have him soaking, which is a bad idea).

You have 3 melee dps... Assign one of the 3 a lead, put a marker on him... and make sure the other two are standing on top of him at all times.... Our group, we also have the ranged trying to stack in the blue circle as much as possible. Remember, each leg you kill is 3% of his health... kill the legs by standing in the blue circle you get a dps buff for the duration you stay inside that blue circle. So have your dps practice trying to keep the uptime of the buff up.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/lit5m9ti942vdpvn/sum/healingDone/?s=2104&e=2491

The person earlier who had low WG usage was a kiter. If you havn't kited before, I will tell you now you will only hit WG on yourself and the 2 "tanks" any time you're actively kiting. For this reason, I wouldn't be too worried about a lower than normal WG usage. During kiting, there's far better options.

From my experience so far (also hit a block on garalon) it's all about the dps. Our healing is more than sufficient. We hit enrage all but 2-3 times last night. And that was with me having picked up HotW and pumping out 90k dps for the first 45seconds...
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
OP, your healing looks fine tbh. Your shaman would be helped by ppl stacking for healing rain, but they don't/can't/won't do that in my raid and without that, those numbers are fine. His buff uptimes are terrible though.

I don't think your problems are healing output specific, and it is likely more about strategy / execution.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
12/11/2012 01:06 AMPosted by Tripcy
This is one of the few fights where resto druids pull ahead of other healers.

One can't make blanket statements based upon one log (yours). If anything it could means your other healers aren't doing better when they certainly could be. But there are lots of conditions that arise that effect HPS.

Me not beating my OP buddy

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/a1dg68pr6h3wcauo/sum/healingDone/?s=14209&e=14603

Me beating my OP buddy

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-vpwxhx7sgiy8z7zd/sum/healingDone/?s=11485&e=11900#Moophious

And while not everyone is equal if you can two heal it you should be.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
You should have everyone stand in the middle of the room less the tanks and kiter and healer when range becomes an issue.. That way everyone is standing in pretty green/blue/yellow stuff. On normal you can get away with just killing the two inner legs and ignoring the other side completely, if both legs are dead focus body until one leg respawns.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
it won't make your job easier, but having healers kite as much as possible really helps if you are struggling with enrage. Anytime that you can put a healer on kiting it means your dps has more time to do their job and get the kill.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Positioning on this fight (still) kind of sets my teeth on edge, but after trying many things, we finally settled on one tank, three healers (healer, tank, healer, healer for kiting order) which let us have one healer kiter always on tank(s) (our OT goes dps and stays second soaker), and one with ranged, and one in between. Melee on leg duty and ranged on boss, generally, which let everyone ease up on all the crazy running around and improved dps. You guys got in several solid attempts, two right at enrage, so you're obviously really close. I think you have everything you need (some extra disc dps never hurts).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Thank you all for your responses.

I think our kiting rotation was healer>tank>tank>Ranged switching at about 20 stacks. I'd agree that stacking (even loosely) is an issue for my group, and I'll pass on the suggestions. I felt in our last attempts that group health pools would drop pretty hard if I stopped to smite, so I didn't. The rogue was a PUG, and I'm hoping we have our full group this week. Kiting makes me nervous because of Disc's poor mobility/outranging the group.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Thank you all for your responses.

I think our kiting rotation was healer>tank>tank>Ranged switching at about 20 stacks. I'd agree that stacking (even loosely) is an issue for my group, and I'll pass on the suggestions. I felt in our last attempts that group health pools would drop pretty hard if I stopped to smite, so I didn't. The rogue was a PUG, and I'm hoping we have our full group this week. Kiting makes me nervous because of Disc's poor mobility/outranging the group.

Disc is very strong in this fight. If you can get your Ranged to behave and follow you correctly, you can basically Spirit Shell every other Crush.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
My guild actually just finished killing this bugger a few hours ago (2 tanks, 3 heals, 10 man normal). With three healers we actually had 2 of our healers in the kite rotation (myself and the shammy). If your shammy can keep the raid alive, and dps is your problem, I'd actually suggest rotating all three healers out for the pherimones. You may also have problems using a tank as a kiter because he has to stay close to the boss, not drop the orbs on his fellow tank, and still try to keep them semi on the outside of the room. Not to mention that it makes it very dangerous for the swap off.

Even when kiting, as a healer, you can usually reach 2-3 people(admittedly, sometimes that's including yourself). But the trade off of low targets is that you recoup mana (less things to heal) while your fellow healers pick up the slack. When you swap off, it's your turn to go full out. So if you can use 3 healers and say, a ranged DPS(lock/spriest would be best), then you should be able to get some solid uptime on the boss while still maintaining a good rotation of burst and calm from a healing standpoint.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]