Looking for some insight.

90 Dwarf Monk
Note: I will be going to sleep after posting this so I will be able to answer questions/expound further in the morning.

So I'm 4/6 MSV(Nothing too impressive). Tonight we had a PUG healer from one of the further along guilds on our server. After raid he said I was kind of squishy. I'm curious as to why that might be.

A few notes:
-I never allow shuffle to fall.
-I PB yellow.
-I make sure to utilize my GoTO orbs.

So the only conclusion I can draw is my reforging. So I ask you O Great Monk Forums, any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Monk
*The last fight we did with him in group was Gara'jal so it may have been voodoo dmg causing me to drop more?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
That's a whole lotta agility...

If what you've said is true, what's your Elusive Brew uptime like? What about Guard usage? You aren't going for haste at all from what I see... or crit... or... anything really.

7.50% hit and 7.50% (or 15% if you want an unparryable KS) is what you need to reforge to, you may be able to shift some stuff around to bring your hit down, but it's worth looking into.

But yeah, EB uptime and Guard usage seem to be the biggest flags that pop up to me.

Healing Elixirs is an alright talent, but for Gara'jal you may want to look into Dampen Harm for the home stretch.

Lemmie know and I'll check back here later today!
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Monk
Thanks for the response Zegreiart! The questions i have, i'll try and ask in order of the points you made.

Are you saying that agi should take a backseat to a secondary stat? I was told agi > all.

My EB doesn't usually take too long to stack, and I use guard on CD(and since 5.1 Im still not entirely sure if TP still affects it?). I was pushing as much as possible for crit, but with a few upgrades I had to shift my reforges around a bit to maintain hit and exper caps.(I am aware of the 15% exper, but I decided to stay at 7.5)

Usually with our dps it works out that I'm not usually on garajal during his frenzy, but I will still try dampen harm just to help alleviate some of the dmg to voodoo dolls.

I have raid again on Thursday, and will try and get some more info, as far as some more specificity on EB uptime and such.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
HC
12/12/2012 11:14 AMPosted by Sameeno
Are you saying that agi should take a backseat to a secondary stat? I was told agi > all.

The reason why secondaries are better for gemming in most cases is because theres twice as much secondary stat vs primary stat per gem. If you're statting for mitigation and not shielding/damage, then you definitely want more secondaries.

After looking at your character sheet, i'd say get more haste wherever you can.

Red Agi/Haste
Yellow Haste
Purple expertise Haste

It will allow you to PB more, increase chi gen, deal more damage for raid shielding and more flexibility in play.

Dont dismiss DPS trinkets on fights where you dont get trucked. For MSV, the only fights i'd recommend tanking trinkets on are Stone Guard and WIll of the emperor (on-use for will. Basically your current setup)

Make sure to use your 75 talents and zen med to their full potential. I'm guessing you guys are working on elegon, so for the breaths, stagger use of diffuse magic and zen med (while he is casting so he doesn't break it with a melee swing) for breaths. You basically wont take damage.

As for ads on that fight, get a tricks or md to get the pillar phase ads on you, and kite to the middle with Dizzying Haze while DPS blows them up. (have other tank hold boss first)

---

12/12/2012 11:14 AMPosted by Sameeno
Usually with our dps it works out that I'm not usually on garajal during his frenzy, but I will still try dampen harm just to help alleviate some of the dmg to voodoo dolls.

For gara'jal, generally shoot to stack shuffle as much as you can before you take the boss, then use chi wave to help heal voo doo dolls while rotating dodge trinks and cd's.

Secret tip: you can taunt to gain 50% of the other tanks vengeance without actually taking the boss, so after the other tank has threat taunt on CD while you're not tanking for the most damage while Shuffle stacking (with buff). This increases raid shielding which makes your healers lives alot easier.

Also take xuen unless you absolutely need RJW. Xuen does SOOO much damage when you have vengeance.

A large part of monk tanking is creatively using your cooldowns. Dont be afraid to use Fort Brew when you need it. Its a HUGE CD and can mitigate a nice chunk of damage.
Edited by Advanced on 12/12/2012 11:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Monk
It never occurred to me to taunt on garajal for the vengeance boost. I knew he was focused on whomever was Voodoo'd but i figured it wouldnt affect it since i never got targeted. Thanks!

I wasn't using Xuen because I was misinformed about his taunting, So i just switched to RJW and didnt think about it. I will be switching back to Xuen. =D

Once again, thanks for all of the helpful tips. My guildies haven't had too much negative to say about my surv, but when someone with an objective view mentions something, I try and figure out a way to fix it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]