After some constructive criticism

90 Blood Elf Paladin
So I found a log from last week when I was healing with another guild in MSV, I'm hopeless at interpreting logs and meters and such so I'm hoping you guys (and gals) might take a look and give me some pointers.
I feel like I did fairly well though it seems like I overhealed far more than I was aware of, which surprises me because mana really wasn't an issue.

Here's a link to the logs; http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-dar5ozgolyaes3h2/details/11/

I'm open to all tips or pointers you might have (provided they're helpful ;) because I really haven't been a healer all that long, started towards the end of Cata.
Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!

-Pala
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I wouldn't worry too much about overhealing as a Paladin, and I wouldn't worry at all about overhealing on spells that generate Mastery shields, especially if said heal was on a tank. Not at all, know what I mean?

38% isn't really that bad, though it can be eye-opening. The biggest opportunities for improvement come from your cast-time heals, namely Holy Light, Divine Light, and (to a lesser extent), Flash of Light. Holy Shock is going to have some overheal simply because you need to be using it. I'm not referring to your overheal percentages using said spells, I'm just saying that in general, that's where improvements can be made, and the rest will just happen unless you don't heal at all.

Beacon overheals are almost always really high - it's just the way it is, so don't worry about that one so much, either.

I didn't go poring through the rest of the logs, but someone else might, and point out some areas for improvement besides overhealing.

In a nutshell, don't worry about overhealing too much, but it's not a bad idea to keep in mind that overhealing = wasted mana, wasted GCD's, and wasted cast times, even for a Paladin.

Riôt
Reply Quote
8 Dwarf Priest
one of the biggest tricks to healing is in understanding each encounter and knowing when and where the burst damage will happen, when and where your healing is most needed. as a paladin, you have 2 fantastic, low cooldown abilities you can use for a big boost to help recover from burst damage.

Holy Avenger: use the hell out of this. it is one of the best healing talents in the game. holy shock > 3 HP > light of dawn > holy radiance > 3 HP > light of dawn > repeat, until the duration runs out. depending on healing requirements you may need to holy radiance again for another 3 HP light of dawn before holy shock comes off cd.

Light's Hammer: if used well this can put out raw healing comparable to your typical Tranquility or Divine Hymn. the downside? well its a non-moving location on the ground, so players have to stand in it, and the healing is spread out over 16 seconds. its not very bursty and so you hardly ever see its theoretical max healing, but with the 1 minute cooldown it is incredibly useful. use it often, try to get the most out of it.

i would personally plan your entire healing strategy around maximizing the use of these 2 abilities, when they are most appropriate. to start with anyway.

other than that, you appear to be using plenty of holy shocks which is important to stay on top of to keep your healing output high so that is a good habit.

you may want to consider downgrading from divine light to holy light for awhile if you experience any mana issues or overhealing issues. i didn't really examine what you were doing too closely, i just looked at your spell breakdown. you appear to basically be using the correct spells in the correct priority, so without knowing more i'm just tossing off some generic advice.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Awesome replies from both of you thankyou, it's good to know I'm on the right track. I'll keep an eye on my spell usage and be sure to make liberal usage of Holy Avenger.
Thanks!

-Pala
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
You spell usage looks OK. Pretty much everything that Riot and Kolas said is correct. If anything, the main reason you're over healing is because you guys are 3 healing half of the fights in MV (All of them are 2 healable, quite easily).

So in short, don't really worry about it. You're doing fine.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]