Experience after each pet

90 Pandaren Monk
Nyx
One of my favorite things about the game Battle Pets was inspired by (Pokemon) was that you gained experience not after the battle was complete, but after each pokemon you defeat. This may seem like a small thing, but it gave you a sense of progress when stuck on a trainer. It made it so that even if you lose against this powerful trainer that is giving you a rough time, if you happen to take down at least one of their pets, you get a bit of XP. Keep this up and not only will you have their moveset and tendencies figured out, but your pet's levels progressed enough to be able to beat that trainer.

The current system in the game requires that you go elsewhere to level up to be able to progress against these trainers that are giving you a hard time. While this isn't totally bad, I feel that the system Pokemon used would be a better fit for Battle Pets, and WoW in general. We don't get loot in raids only if we beat the whole thing, we get it after each boss, and that helps us progress and get further in the raid. If you lose in a BG, you at least get a bit of honor.

TL:DR If we got experience after each pet instead of after defeating all 3, we could progress against tougher trainers by working on that trainer.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
People would use the same trainer to grind pet levels in a single sitting... Kill 2, forfeit, heal if needed, repeat.

Not sure if this would be the worst thing in the world, but it's an example of an unintended consequence of the change you are proposing. A good change shouldn't have unintended consequences IMO.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
12/13/2012 02:18 AMPosted by Suntzü
People would use the same trainer to grind pet levels in a single sitting... Kill 2, forfeit, heal if needed, repeat.

If this is a concern, then Blizzard could make it so that the bulk of the EXP came from the last pet. Shanseala's suggestion is so that if you do happen to kill a pet, but not all of them, you still benefit from your attempt. Personally, I don't know if I'd want this - I usually use 2 level 25s then a lowbie for tamers, so that the lowbie gets all of the EXP.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Nyx
Yeah, the bulk of the XP should come from beating the third pet, so that it's still better to beat all three, and I see where the concern can come from. Which might be why it is this way right now.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter

Not sure if this would be the worst thing in the world, but it's an example of an unintended consequence of the change you are proposing. A good change shouldn't have unintended consequences IMO.

Actually I've got one worse for you.

Accept quest. Defeat trainer. Abandon quest. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Actually there are a lot of improvements over [copyright infringement], one of which being that you don't get essentially penalised for using an off-type move because you don't get the same-type x1.5 bonus. That opens a world of possibilities, allows types to be condensed and dual-types unnecessary (meh, it's still a little weird that everything except Water in the element group was lumped into Elemental) and allows you to be more free when picking your moves. To tell you the truth, I count having to defeat a top trainer to get experience as a benefit; makes it less game-breaking. Healing moves are more viable, counting among other improvements, and very best of all, cooldowns instead of PP (I mean really, limiting a move to 5-use because it's overpowered does nothing to mitigate that since it can still one-shot five times; cooldowns actually accomplish the balance task). Plus, no having to respec/relearn; you can just reslot your move choices for each battle.

Cons? Well this is really a pro with a brown lining, but since moves have been balanced to usually do some damage even if they're buffs or debuffs, you only get three slots. You only need three slots. It's still rather constraining. And the worst con is... No TMs. A lot of battle pets have wonderful potential with that perfect move in the right slot but are relegated to the garbage pile instead because they simply don't have it. It's that clear-cut a line. One good example is comparing apples (chickens) to oranges (crane chicks). Same essential strategy and move set, but the Jadeskin makes the Crane unstoppable and the lack of it makes Chickens worthless. Apples and oranges.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]