Hunter-specific question about pets

20 Undead Hunter
Hey guys, I just started playing and rolled a hunter. I played through Tirisfal Glades and hit level 10, where I can get a pet. I'm not a fan of my spider and the noise it constantly makes, so I'm looking for a pet to tame. I've looked at Petopia.com, but couldn't find much about stats. So, my question:

What's the deal with stats for Hunter pets? Does each species have 'base stats' (e.g. bear has greater health than moths) or are stats the same for every pet across the board? Likewise, are things like attack speed and damage the same for every pet?

Thanks in advance. :)
Reply Quote
20 Worgen Warrior
Diffrent pets have diffrent attributes infact some are made sololy for tanking or dps (example: cats are mainly damage role in which case you may be tanking if its a good idea or you can tame a bear which has not as much attack strength but has alot more armor which is ideal for tanking and survivability and also there are hybrid pets which have a combination of defense and damage BUT they wont get as much as armor or damage as fully devoted damage or tank pets) i THINK diffrent pets have diffrent attack speeds, if you want to check press C to open your character info and look at the bottom of it you should see a little tab that says PET click it and it shows the info of your pet such as defense damage and attack speed plus its walking speed if im not mistaken

Hope this helped you :)
Reply Quote
81 Gnome Warlock
Stats are essentially the same for each pet family across the board. Where each family differs are in their special attack. For example, spiders have a snare, which is a good utility ability, whereas turtles have an ability that makes them take less damage.

If you looked at Petopia, you may have seen that there are three "specializations" for your pet. This is what gives them things like extra health, extra attack power, etc. For example, if you want your pet to have more health, go Tenacity. If you want it to do more damage, choose Ferocity.

It USED to be, years ago, that certain pets had better stats, but then most hunters tamed that pet, rather than choosing one based on looks.

There are also certain pet families that give a passive buff to others if you are in a group. Again, Petopia is the best place to read up on which family gives what buff (normally damage pets, since tank pets are for solo play).

Hope this helps!
Reply Quote
If you looked at Petopia, you may have seen that there are three "specializations" for your pet. This is what gives them things like extra health, extra attack power, etc. For example, if you want your pet to have more health, go Tenacity. If you want it to do more damage, choose Ferocity.

Just want to reiterate this -- pets are no longer ONLY one of those three, you can now switch your pets from one to the other as needed, which also affects their talents, which affects their stats. Tenacity spec automatically provides a boost to armor, while Ferocity will boost damage.

I recommend just taming the local wildlife and seeing if you prefer one. Offhand though, crocolisks, cats, and some corehounds can be noisy too, hyenas and raptors make some strange noises, and wolves and bears are a bit more quiet. I'm not sure how bats are, but find that sometimes flying pets just get in the way.
Reply Quote
76 Orc Hunter
The Ferocity spec does better dps and is the preferred tree for running leveling dungeons.

Tenacity spec is for tanking and is good for soloing multiple mobs. It generates threat which is counter productive in dungeons where your player tank is the one who should be generating threat.

Cunning spec is often used for PvP. Usually with a pet that has a family skill that snares/traps an opponent.

At level 20, pets get their family buffs.
For 5-man leveling dungeons and general questing, I prefer a Ferocity pet with the +5 crit buff like a wolf.
For soloing large groups or elites 2+levels higher than me I prefer a Tenacity pet with Shell Shield like a turtle or a beetle.
For PvP I like a Cunning pet with a trap/pin skill like a turtle/crab.

End game raids, I bring a Ferocity speced pet that provides a family buff that's not provided by another player class. A spirit beast is usually my default raiding pet if I'm a BM hunter.
Edited by Nok on 12/13/2012 8:40 AM PST
Reply Quote
20 Undead Hunter
All right :D Good to know there's not as much pressure. Thanks for the help guys.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Diffrent pets have diffrent attributes infact some are made sololy for tanking or dps (example: cats are mainly damage role in which case you may be tanking if its a good idea or you can tame a bear which has not as much attack strength but has alot more armor which is ideal for tanking and survivability and also there are hybrid pets which have a combination of defense and damage BUT they wont get as much as armor or damage as fully devoted damage or tank pets) i THINK diffrent pets have diffrent attack speeds, if you want to check press C to open your character info and look at the bottom of it you should see a little tab that says PET click it and it shows the info of your pet such as defense damage and attack speed plus its walking speed if im not mistaken

Hope this helped you :)

You're completely wrong. In mists of pandaria you choose which spec your pet uses, so all pets can be tanks or DPS. They only get certain pet specific abilities.
Edited by Monmonn on 12/13/2012 1:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
20 Worgen Warrior
Oh ok lol so i am wrong my bad i have a level 10 hunter and never knew about spec for pets haha.
Reply Quote
12/13/2012 12:58 PMPosted by Thanoros
All right :D Good to know there's not as much pressure. Thanks for the help guys.

I want to encourage you and all new hunters to go out and tame a bunch of different pets. People often get locked in with cats/wolves and never try out different pet families. Hunters have a *ton* of different pets to use. If you come across a pet you like the look of, tame it! That's one of the most entertaining things to do while leveling a hunter and it's an aspect of the game no other class gets to experience.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]