How can you "disable" PVP in a PVP realm.

67 Human Death Knight
I'm in a PVP realm but when I still have my PVP disabled the opposing faction attacks me. Is there a way I can avoid all of that?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Nope. That's what PVP servers are. They are always pvp enabled. You need to play on a PVE server if you don't like this type of gameplay.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
They shouldn't be able to attack you when you aren't flagged (I'm guessing that's what you mean by PvP disabled) but the areas where that occurs are mostly limited to just low level characters in starting zones.

The point of a PvP server is that you can be attacked at any time by players of the opposing faction, allowing a way to disable that would defeat the purpose of the server.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
The difference between PVP realms and normal realms is that your PVP flag is automatically enabled whenever you're in contested areas, that's the only difference between the two server types. If you don't want to be flagged for PVP anytime you're outside of a few safe areas, then you should play on a normal server, what you're doing is picking a PVP server but hoping it works like a normal one.
Reply Quote
Being in a contested zone, basically anything not one of your capital cities, starting zones for your races, or a Sanctuary city, automatically flags you for PvP on a PvP realm. You can't turn it off unless you go to a PvE realm instead.
Reply Quote
33 Night Elf Druid
12/13/2012 03:21 PMPosted by Hylt
Being in a contested zone, basically anything not one of your capital cities, starting zones for your races, or a Sanctuary city, automatically flags you for PvP on a PvP realm.

But you can still get attacked if you're in your capital city. I got killed in Darnassus unexpectedly a couple days ago because the guards were too weak to kill a lvl 70 Tauren.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
12/13/2012 04:45 PMPosted by Vajrayana
I got killed in Darnassus unexpectedly a couple days ago because the guards were too weak to kill a lvl 70 Tauren.

The guards in Darnassus are level 90 Elites, they can one-shot a level 70. Either you are mistaken about the level of the player that killed you and survived the guards, OR you're spinning tales.

You can only get killed in your faction's safe zones if you left a PvP area or engaged in PvP activities less than 5 minutes ago. So returning to the city after participating in a battleground or going to the city shortly after leaving an area that auto-flags you for PvP will make you attackable for 5 minutes by any enemy players who wish to cause trouble at your location.
Reply Quote
33 Night Elf Druid
12/13/2012 04:59 PMPosted by Avanna
I got killed in Darnassus unexpectedly a couple days ago because the guards were too weak to kill a lvl 70 Tauren.

The guards in Darnassus are level 90 Elites, they can one-shot a level 70. Either you are mistaken about the level of the player that killed you and survived the guards, OR you're spinning tales.

Why would I want to make up stories and brag about me getting killed?

Yes I was certain that the Tauren was level 70, there's no mistaken about remembering the first person that killed me in the PVP server. However, I just went back to where I died and I mistook the level 90 Guards for the level 60 Nelf computers standing at the entrance between the Terrace and the Temple Garden . I remember the level 60s attacking and barely phasing the Tauren and since none of the Nelf Guards are actually called "Guards", I guess I mistook them for another NPC that was attacking the Tauren.

I've never PVP'd against another faction before and the only thing I did that day was dungeon and quest. I guess questing and coming back to the main city makes you vulnerable.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Avanna stated either you made it up or you were mistaken. You were mistaken. It's important to make specific distinctions about what happens in game so new players aren't confused.

If you read what she said, 5 minutes after being in PVP area keeps you flagged for PVP. All contested questing areas on PVP servers are pvp areas.
Edited by Monmonn on 12/13/2012 6:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
33 Night Elf Druid
Avanna stated either you made it up or you were mistaken. You were mistaken. It's important to make specific distinctions about what happens in game so new players aren't confused.

If you read what she said, 5 minutes after being in PVP area keeps you flagged for PVP. All contested questing areas on PVP servers are pvp areas.

And I already admit that I was mistaken. However, I was not mistaken about the level of the Tauren as that was what exactly Avanna assumed.

So Darkmoon Faire is a contested area? Otherwise, I don't know what other areas could be a contested area. Would a dungeon instance be considered a contested pvp area?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
So Darkmoon Faire is a contested area? Otherwise, I don't know what other areas could be a contested area. Would a dungeon instance be considered a contested pvp area?

Every questing zone that has a level range starting at 20 or above is considered "contested" on a PvP server. Just wandering into those areas for 5 seconds will flag you for PvP for 5 minutes after you leave them.

So for the human traditional leveling track: Everything from Duskwood on up.
For the night elf/Draenai/worgen traditional leveling track: Everything from Ashenvale on up
For the Dwarfs: Everything from wetlands on up.

Being in any of those zones or higher will flag you for PvP on a PvP server.

As for the Darkmoon Faire, the fairgrounds & the path leading down to it is a Sanctuary. The arena ring and the rest of the island around the faire is considered "contested", if you wander more than a few feet outside of the faire, you will be flagged for PvP if you're on a PvP server.

If you don't want to have to deal with such issues, roll on a PvE server instead. On a PvE server, you can't be attacked by enemy players unless you attack someone first (player or NPC with a PvP flag) or wander into their cities/quest hubs.
Edited by Avanna on 12/13/2012 6:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
33 Night Elf Druid
Ah makes sense, thanks. As soon as I got to level 21, I just began dungeoning to 31 so I never experienced anything past Darkshore nor travelled to any other level +20 areas. I guess I'll be careful when exploring the Faire and then teleporting back to Darnassus.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
When you are in friendly territory (lvl 1-20 areas or most major alliance cities) there are a couple options to avoid the 5 min timer: take a flight path or enter a dungeon. I'd recommend setting your hearth to Stormwind or Dalaran since they have dungeons inside those cities (Stormwind Stockade in Stormwind and Violet Hold in Dalaran). That's about all you can do to disable your PvP flag on a PvP server.

It's possible to level through dungeons, it's how I leveled my alts. You can try avoiding every contested zone in the game, but you wind up missing out on a lot of things (farming, buying valor gear or pvp gear, crafting, etc.). I don't think it's worth it personally.

When you do get ganked, you can try calling guildies or freinds to help and have them attack the gankers. If that doesn't work then try advertising in general chat. If you don't find that fun, then your best option is to find a PvE server and either reroll or transfer there.
Edited by Pizzathehutt on 12/13/2012 11:25 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]