Everquest Next Ever going to happen?

90 Orc Shaman
I have been a huge supporter of Everquest since it was my first mmo, esp for the console, but how long does it take to get it right? There have been rumors of Eq Next since 2004, some say for ps3, and while others disagree about console mmorpg, it is possiable to build a great game that anyone can play from the couch. Recent rumors about Eq Next is that they compeltely scrapped everything they was working on and going to start over fresh. I mean how much longer will the wait be? As of now all of Sony's games have out of date graphics except for Plantet Side 2 which mind you althrough I am not personally into shooters the same game engine is supposed to be used for EQ Next- and if you ask anyone the grpahics on planet side 2 are ******* awesome...... any ideas or news?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
If they scrapped everything they had, then they were working on a WoW Clone. The rash of fast-decline MMOs in the last two years should prompt anyone hoping to turn a profit on their in-development MMO to scrap the WoW clone they were working on and look outside the box.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
As for this "WoW clone". Remember, WoW was a "EQ Clone" when it was being developed.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
12/13/2012 01:42 AMPosted by Mursh
As for this "WoW clone". Remember, WoW was a "EQ Clone" when it was being developed.

While true, WoW was not nearly as much an EQ clone at launch as RIFT and SWTOR were WoW clones at their launches. And the rapid decline in interest in those games is going to force people back to the drawing board. Period.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
I do not really think it is the gameplay itself declining mmorpg's, but the fact that alot mmorpgs are out dated graphics and influilded gameplay. The one good thing I can say about WoW is it is just a smooth gameplay compared to others, but at the same time developers need realize a few things that are a must or rules for examples:
1. Glicthes and bugs need be worked out before launches, they kill games for instant, Warhammer died because of the bugs, and no one wants to play a game where people can cheat or misuse the game- unless your just a young child or the person has no gaming skill at all to compete that they have resourt to cheating...

2. End game content must be there for players or people will lose interest fast, alot information points to Swtor- althrough smooth gamplay nice graphics, numeroues people told me there was nothing to do once hit level cap.

3. The game need to be fresh, it does not mean it can not copy other games, but the fact is the armor and content has be something people have never experianced or seen before....

The list could go on but thats main key factors.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Yes Everquest Next is going to happen. In 2004 they were probably talking about what is now Everquest II, which is a different project.

Everquest Next information thus far:

http://eq2wire.com/2012/10/18/soe-live-2012-welcome-reception-live-refresh-for-updates/

“I have to be honest with you. We have completely blown up the design of EverQuest Next. For the last year and a half we have been working on something we are not ready to show. Why did we blow up the design? The design was evolutionary. It was EverQuest III. It was something that was slightly better that what had come before it. IT was slightly better. What we are building is something that we will be very proud to call EverQuest. It will be the largest sandbox style MMO ever designed. The same exciting content delivered in a new way. Something you’ve never seen before. The MMO world has never seen before. We didn’t want more Kill 10 Rats quests. We didn’t want more of the same. If you look at the MMOs out there, they’re delivering the same content over and over again. So are we. We need to change that. When we released EverQuest, we changed the world. We want to do that again with a different type of game.

What I will commit to is, at the next Fan Faire, not only will you get to see it but you will get to touch it. Most of the EQNext devs are in this room. If you get them drunk enough they might tell you. They’re led by Dave Georgeson. Terry Michaels. Vets from EQ and EQ2. We are remaking Norrath unlike anything you’ve ever seen, but you’ll recognize it. I’m sorry we don’t have anything to show for it, but I wanted to be honest with you and tell you a little bit about it. Keep the faith.”

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/14/everquest-next-is-pretty-crazy-says-soe-president-were-not-trying-to-make-wow2/

“Everybody has been making the same game since Everquest, really,” says Smedley. “If you look back, Ultima Online was out before us and really, all the current crop of MMOs are a lot like Everquest – they’re in that style. They’re great because the quality level has really improved, but nobody has really changed the game. the previous designs we had for the next Everquest were cookie-cutter, they were ‘me too’. We had some great, innovative things in there and they’d have been great games in themselves, but they wouldn’t have been enough to keep an audience. We’ve had people playing Everquest for 13 years and we kept that in our mind as the main goal when making Everquest Next.”

“I was really nervous about [showing SOE staff the game],” says Smedley. “We showed it to them on Monday, and I couldn’t sleep on Sunday night because I was scared. We’ve thrown out two previous designs of the game to go with something pretty crazy and… well, it’s awesome. When the team saw it I could barely breathe when they were watching it. But when I’d finished they were clapping and cheering – and these guys are gamers, so they’re not afraid to call bull!@#$ when they see us make a mistake. It’s happened before. We’ve made mistakes, and the guys internally will call us on it every time. But they loved this, and we really felt vindicated that the way we’re going with Everquest Next is the right way. I feel good about it. We’re not trying to make WOW2 or Everquest 2.5 – we’re making something that we think will define the next generation of MMOs.”
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
12/13/2012 01:42 AMPosted by Mursh

This is actually rather false.

The developers of Wow looked at EQ, then decided to make an mmorpg based upon everything that was WRONG with it.

They out ever"quest"ed everquest.

This is why Wow became such a success, dwarfing the numbers of the previous champion Western Premium Subscription Fee MMorpg(Everquest.)

Rather than doing like everyone else did and trying to copy it, but make it "better" in some way, they simply made the game they wanted to play in a similar fantasy MMORPG vein.

So it seemed like a lot of fun, with lots of quests, when compared to EQ. Ironically, once you reached max level and raided it more or less BECAME EQ. That was why I hated Vanilla.

As flawed as Everquest was, then later Wow, its evidently incredibly hard to make an MMORPG even as good as they were/are. As that guy said, Everquest has been going on for a very long time and still exists; Meanwhile, mmorpgs that were supposed to be it are long dead, with even ones that were supposed to beat Wow being dead by now.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]