Best On Demand Burst Damage

50 Undead Priest
Which class(es) do the most on demand burst damage?

I'm not talking about getting some random proc and rolling with it, I mean a class that can either instantly, or set up, a big chunk of damage and unleash it when the time is right.
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Rogue
Mages. After them... warriors.

Warriors are like mages but they can only be one every 3 minutes or so.
Edited by Iampshade on 12/13/2012 11:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Frost Mages and BM hunters..

Bestial Wrath has the second lowest burst CD in game... (next to deep freeze shatter)
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Elemental shaman.

**** YEAH! 3 minute hero!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
mage-bm-war-lock
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior

5 minutes unless they're wearing a bunch of PVE gear.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
Destro warlock, and don't let anyone tell you differently.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
12/13/2012 12:15 PMPosted by Harlach

On demand = once every 7-8 GCDs, taking crit into account?
Reply Quote
13 Undead Warlock

LoL... mages!?! Man, did you not read the nerf to fb by HALF...
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
12/13/2012 01:09 PMPosted by Leciel

On demand = once every 7-8 GCDs, taking crit into account?

From the OP "or set up, a big chunk of damage and unleash it when the time is right."

You wouldn't call four chaos bolts the biggest burst in the game right now?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
If you let four freakin' Chaos Bolts go out without even trying to interrupt/stop one, you deserve to lose.

Edit: I guess in regards to the OP, yes, four chain casted bolts would be one of the biggest burst "set ups," but I'd like to know a situation where a warlock gets to free cast for 9-12 seconds.
Edited by Jadefang on 12/13/2012 1:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
If you let four freakin' Chaos Bolts go out without even trying to interrupt/stop one, you deserve to lose.

Edit: I guess in regards to the OP, yes, four chain casted bolts would be one of the biggest burst "set ups," but I'd like to know a situation where a warlock gets to free cast for 9-12 seconds.

PVE? Why do you guys always assume its about PVP? This is the damage dealing forum, there really should be a pvp-pve split of the role forums so we wouldn't have so many threads with exact opposite opinions due to gameplay differences.
Edited by Harlach on 12/13/2012 1:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
Because I rarely ever see anyone mention burst and PvE in the same sentence, ever. But I've been wrong before so it wouldn't be the first time.

Don't need to be so sensitive about it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Grimoire of sacrifice gives Chaos Bolt a DOT for 25% of it's damage over 4 seconds now, and it doesn't roll like fire's mastery does. For PvE, you also don't want to use chaos bolt with backdraft up - they are better used for Incinerate.

So unless i'm missing something, in PvE, i've been doing Dark Soul -> Immolate -> Conflagrate -> Incinerate -> Chaos bolt -> Incinerate -> Chaos Bolt -> Conflagrate ...

The whole process takes up near 20 seconds in order to not let backdraft either fall off or get wasted, sit on two charges of conflagrate, or clip the chaos bolt DOT.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Grimoire of sacrifice gives Chaos Bolt a DOT for 25% of it's damage over 4 seconds now, and it doesn't roll like fire's mastery does. For PvE, you also don't want to use chaos bolt with backdraft up - they are better used for Incinerate.

So unless i'm missing something, in PvE, i've been doing Dark Soul -> Immolate -> Conflagrate -> Incinerate -> Chaos bolt -> Incinerate -> Chaos Bolt -> Conflagrate ...

The whole process takes up near 20 seconds in order to not let backdraft either fall off or get wasted, sit on two charges of conflagrate, or clip the chaos bolt DOT.

Within the context of PvE: This is correct. Except that after this chain, be careful because you have 4 backdraft charges remaining.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Elemental shaman.

**** YEAH! 3 minute hero!

I hope you are kidding.. elemental shaman is DEAD last in burst damage.. hell a PROT spec paladin has more burst damage...

It's not that bad, but it is easily avoidable. Ascendance from either dps spec shaman is nice burst if not intentionally countered.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Once we get 4pc Ret can do great burst every 2min.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Mages

The funny part is that our class is designed to do big number damage, but no one seems to understand that.

If you're looking for burst, I suggest you go elsewhere. The hybrid classes are very, very upset that they can't throw 150k criticals in bubble so you're best choosing a class that isn't vilified by the community for operating the way it's designed.

Warlock and SPriests are great because they aren't hated by the community for their big numbers, so they fly under the radar.

If you're looking for a class that you can "set up" damage and then unload, Rogues are supposed to be exactly what you're asking for, but Blizzard refuses to fix them.

Feral Druid might interesting to you, too. It's difficult to play well, but very rewarding if you're good.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]