My thoughts on the Frost Bomb nerf.

90 Human Mage
Everybody agrees that Mages needed a nerf, even me, as a mage.

Now, it's "When Fire Blast modified by Glyph of Fire Blast is used to detonate a Frost Bomb, the resulting Frost Bomb now deals 50% less damage."

-The problem is the fact that if we trigger it with Fire Blast, the damage will now be really low, really really low.

-And if we don't trigger it with Fire Blast, it will surely be dispelled by ; priest, paladin, shaman, monk. (In an arena/rbg situation of course)

-And Frost Bomb dosen't have any mechanics like Unstable Affliction that would deal a undesirable effect on the player that dispells.

What I think is that Frost Bomb shouldn't be nerf like it is right now. Because of the 3 points above.

I think that instead of the Fire Blast glyph nerf, Blizzard should has nerf the damage of Frost Bomb by ~35%.

So, the dispells wouldn't be a problem, and people would not be "80% to 0" in a Deep Freeze.

What do you guys think about that ?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

Now, it's "When Fire Blast modified by Glyph of Fire Blast is used to detonate a Frost Bomb, the resulting Frost Bomb now deals 50% less damage."

-The problem is the fact that if we trigger it with Fire Blast, the damage will now be really low, really really low.

-And if we don't trigger it with Fire Blast, it will surely be dispelled by ; priest, paladin, shaman, monk. (In an arena/rbg situation of course)

-And Frost Bomb dosen't have any mechanics like Unstable Affliction that would deal a undesirable effect on the player that dispells.

What I think is that Frost Bomb shouldn't be nerf like it is right now. Because of the 3 points above.

I think that instead of the Fire Blast glyph nerf, Blizzard should has nerf the damage of Frost Bomb by ~35%.

So, the dispells wouldn't be a problem, and people would not be "80% to 0" in a Deep Freeze.

I think the change is fine. You may not have dispel protection for it but you aren't designed to have dispel protection on your freezes since they are lethal. You also are designed to be able to really screw over other teams while dispel is on cool down and I don't think a lot of mages are used to that. With time, people will understand the benefit of being able to get in some serious damage every time dispel is on CD and actually score kills with a little set up. It's kind of like soul reaper now in that, you have to plan ahead and if you do it properly it can lead to some serious burst but outside of it your damage should be efficient combined with your cc to put out enough pressure.
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
12/12/2012 09:27 AMPosted by Haryx
The problem is the fact that if we trigger it with Fire Blast, the damage will now be really low, really really low.

perfect.....TO THE GROUND!!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk

its would remain a 60 to zero in a deep freeze and like the above poster said its a fair trade to share DMG for dispel protection. it will raise the skill cap a little and lets admit it, Mage are far to be the highest skillcap class.
Reply Quote
if you think about it mages in general are bad against players with dispel..

oh frost bomb, dispel

oh deepfreeze,dispel

oh combustion, dispel

oh iceblock, dispel

if the damage on frost bomb was nerfed by 35% it would be useless for pvp/pve.

my frost bomb hits from 20-30k when the target is not frozen.
Edited by Raw on 12/12/2012 9:40 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
12/12/2012 09:33 AMPosted by Playpal
I think the change is fine.

Except Frost Bomb still has the increased duration. We recommended Blizz reduce the damage when detonated with Fire Blast instead of the increased duration and Blizz decided to do both.

12/12/2012 09:33 AMPosted by Playpal
With time, people will understand the benefit of being able to get in some serious damage every time dispel is on CD and actually score kills with a little set up.

There enough time to fit one Frost Bomb in that small window of time without completely locking down the dispeller. With Fire being nearly unusable in PvP, we no longer can take advantage of Dragon's Breath. All we have now are freezes, all of which can be dispelled or easily broken. The fact that Blizz is continuing this slew of nerfs against Mages is !@#$ing ridiculous.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
You FORCE the healer to dispel something and it's now on cooldown for your next crowd control.

THATS NOT IMPORTANT AT ALL~
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Vox
It actually surprises me that people are fine with this change. Do you not realize good mages will be able to line up burst the same way they do now? I think a 33% nerf to frost bomb damage regardless of how it detonated would have been a better solution.
Edited by Magejerk on 12/12/2012 9:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
1 Undead Warrior

The base explosion/detonation should've been nerfed. it hits way harder than chaosbolt for a relative short cast time and cooldown.
Edited by Dwadawdaw on 12/12/2012 9:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
12/12/2012 09:50 AMPosted by Dwadawdaw
it hits harder than chaosbolt.

This is surely an exaggeration.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I think blizzard last resort for the most part is actually changing the spell because it will effect PVE and they have to do more calculations to balance PVE damage so the next best thing is to nerf glyphs. ( its just easier )
Edited by Pinkums on 12/12/2012 9:52 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
12/12/2012 09:38 AMPosted by Raw
if the damage on frost bomb was nerfed by 35% it would be useless for pvp/pve.

Frost bomb is not used to raid. Nice try sir.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
12/12/2012 09:44 AMPosted by Koviko
I think the change is fine.

Except Frost Bomb still has the increased duration. We recommended Blizz reduce the damage when detonated with Fire Blast instead of the increased duration and Blizz decided to do both.

With time, people will understand the benefit of being able to get in some serious damage every time dispel is on CD and actually score kills with a little set up.

There enough time to fit one Frost Bomb in that small window of time without completely locking down the dispeller. With Fire being nearly unusable in PvP, we no longer can take advantage of Dragon's Breath. All we have now are freezes, all of which can be dispelled or easily broken. The fact that Blizz is continuing this slew of nerfs against Mages is !@#$ing ridiculous.

You don't understand. Dispelling frost bomb is extremely important and your toolkit still allows you to get frostbombs successfully when you set it up. You will be fine and need to adjust to what is actually a completely fair nerf. Setting up frostbomb going off from full duration is now an important part and with a partner easily feasible, you just need to coordinate.

All you have now are PoM ring, counter spell, DF for personal set ups, yes. But you're completely forgetting that this game is not designed around 1v1 nor even 2v2. You need to learn to play with partners and you'll still shine like the mage you are.
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Hunter
poly healer. Boom don't have to worry about dispels
Reply Quote
12/12/2012 09:53 AMPosted by Harland
[quote="73921342848"]if the damage on frost bomb was nerfed by 35% it would be useless for pvp/pve.

[quote]Frost bomb is not used to raid. Nice try sir.[/quote

yes it is..idiot.
Edited by Raw on 12/12/2012 9:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior

perfect.....TO THE GROUND!!

HAHAHA!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I think the best way to nerf frostbomb would be to have the fireblast glyph only detonate it as aoe, then have it continue ticking and eventually explode. In addition, it should do half of it's damage as soon as the cast goes off, and half of the damage when the countdown ticks down and bomb explodes.

The total damage done will be the same, but it will just go off at different times for less damage in a single shatter burst.
Edited by Vaelseir on 12/12/2012 10:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
12/12/2012 09:55 AMPosted by Playpal
Setting up frostbomb going off from full duration is now an important part and with a partner easily feasible, you just need to coordinate.

Mages can only put out one Frost bomb at a time. If there's more than one dispeller, then it's entirely possible that no Frost Bombs will go off. Frost Bomb is our hardest hitting move. Without it, we can't put much pressure on the other team. Without pressure, they have no reason to not burst me until I die. And with the Ice Barrier nerf, I die much easier.

Blizz is doing everything that they can to make Mage harder and harder to play without giving us anything to work with. It's just constant nerfs every single !@#$ing week.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
12/12/2012 10:02 AMPosted by Koviko
Setting up frostbomb going off from full duration is now an important part and with a partner easily feasible, you just need to coordinate.

Mages can only put out one Frost bomb at a time. If there's more than one dispeller, then it's entirely possible that no Frost Bombs will go off. Frost Bomb is our hardest hitting move. Without it, we can't put much pressure on the other team. Without pressure, they have no reason to not burst me until I die. And with the Ice Barrier nerf, I die much easier.

Blizz is doing everything that they can to make Mage harder and harder to play without giving us anything to work with. It's just constant nerfs every single !@#$ing week.

You mean blizz is making mages balanced like how they should have been?

Because if you think anything different you're grossly incorrect.

Constant nerfs every single week? Are you serious?

Mage tears, so delicious.
Reply Quote
GOD FORBID MAGES ACTUALLY HAVE TO SET UP KILLS NOW AND NOT JUST ROLL FACE ON KEYBOARD RIGHT!?

DEFINITELY UNNECESSARY CHANGE.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]