If Xbox Live Does Not Become Free

90 Night Elf Rogue
Would Microsoft be crazy if they didn't make Xbox Live free around when the 720 and PS4 come out? If they do not make Xbox Live free, do you think a load of people will switch to Playstation? Would it be a mistake?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
PS online service is already free but there are still a lot more people on XBox Live.

Doubt they will change anything.
Reply Quote
87 Night Elf Death Knight
PS online service is already free but there are still a lot more people on XBox Live.

Doubt they will change anything.

they might, if valve's steambox takes off and they get halfway decent support from game developers. sony's support for their free online service sucks, if valve plays their cards right, they could crush the console market.

edit: here's a link: http://www.denofgeek.com/games/23786/steam-console-confirmed

steam console confirmed.
Edited by Eithris on 12/12/2012 2:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
10 Tauren Warrior
edit: here's a link: http://www.denofgeek.com/games/23786/steam-console-confirmed

steam console confirmed.

That has some potential.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I doubt it will go free, but it doesn't really matter its not like your paying a whole bunch for it. It's only like 5 dollars a month.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I highly doubt Microsoft will drop a stream of revenue out of the goodness of their hearts. What will most likely happen is they'll simply raise the value proposition of the service. So Xbox Live might include a music streaming service for Windows Phones, Windows PCs and Tablets or a Netflix-like service for streaming free video content.

You already see it happening with Microsoft rebranding their media services Xbox, so I'm sure down the line Xbox Live will tie into more than just video games and select services.
Edited by Koopo on 12/13/2012 12:51 AM PST
Reply Quote
87 Night Elf Death Knight
I highly doubt Microsoft will drop a stream of revenue out of the goodness of their hearts. What will most likely happen is they'll simply raise the value proposition of the service. So Xbox Live might include a music streaming service for Windows Phones, Windows PCs and Tablets or a Netflix-like service for streaming free video content.

You already see it happening with Microsoft rebranding their media services Xbox, so I'm sure down the line Xbox Live will tie into more than just video games and select services.

i don't care what they include with it. i'm already paying for broadband at home, and on my phone. i'm not going to pay microsoft a penny more just so they can funnel ads right to my screen.

they should have gone the traditional route with xbox live and have it free with ads, paid without.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
12/13/2012 09:27 AMPosted by Eithris
i'm not going to pay microsoft a penny more just so they can funnel ads right to my screen.

Thats not what xbox live gold does.

Xbox live golds gives you the ability to play online.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
i'm not going to pay microsoft a penny more just so they can funnel ads right to my screen.

Thats not what xbox live gold does.

Xbox live golds gives you the ability to play online.

That's not what Xbox Live Gold is supposed to do, but it does. I prefer the PS3 method where you can play online for free, have no outside ads, and you can choose to join Playstation Plus where they give you discounts and free games. I own both systems but I'll never sign up for something that shouldn't cost money to begin with. I don't see Nintendo requiring you to pay them to play online either.
Edited by Mordrid on 12/13/2012 11:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
That's your choice though. If enough people don't subscribe to Xbox Live then Microsoft would reconsider their business tactics. But like what Kalganized said, so many people use the service Microsoft has no intentions of saying no to money. Personally I'm happy with Steam/Battle.net and Playstation's services that are free. To each their own.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
12/13/2012 11:24 AMPosted by Mordrid
I own both systems but I'll never sign up for something that shouldn't cost money to begin with.

You aren't the one who gets to decide what a company should or shouldn't do. Its up to the company and xbox live seems to be a fine service from my experience. I really don't understand what this complaint about "ads" are coming from. I can't think of a single ad that ever popped up when I was playing games. I have yet to see a single difference from a silver to a gold membership other than the ability to play online games.

If you have something that shows a difference have at and prove it, afterall you made the claim you back it up.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
12/13/2012 01:39 PMPosted by Hiroran
I own both systems but I'll never sign up for something that shouldn't cost money to begin with.

You aren't the one who gets to decide what a company should or shouldn't do. Its up to the company and xbox live seems to be a fine service from my experience. I really don't understand what this complaint about "ads" are coming from. I can't think of a single ad that ever popped up when I was playing games. I have yet to see a single difference from a silver to a gold membership other than the ability to play online games.

If you have something that shows a difference have at and prove it, afterall you made the claim you back it up.

Take it easy and don't get so defensive there slick. Playing a game online shouldn't require an extra charge, sort of like how every other console, PC, and cell phone works. The ads are on the dashboard for silver and gold members. If you're a gold member, you're paying them money to show you ads (on top of the beneficial stuff from gold). I realize I can't decide what Microsoft should or shouldn't do, but I do decide whether or not they're deserving of my money. Unfortunately they do make a killing from gold, but why is beyond me.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Unfortunately they do make a killing from gold, but why is beyond me.

Because at this point in this generation, most people already have their consoles and games, and nobody's going to switch over to the PS3 just to save $5/month.

It may be a no-brainer for the people who have the means and motivation to buy every console on the market, but for people who only buy one console a generation, they're kinda stuck with Gold as their only option.

Microsoft's latest promotion ($100 at time of purchase for the console as long as you pay $15/month for Gold for two years) sold a ton of consoles over Black Friday weekend. If they adopt that pricing scheme at the next console's launch, the installment payment option to offset a large purchase will lure a lot of people in.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
There are reasons why it might be worth it. Xbox has exclusives like Halo that people really love, The Xbox Live service gets far more upgrades and interface overhauls than the Playstation counterpart. I believe Xbox Live has cross friend chat between two different games which is a really stellar feature that is sorely needed on the Playstation platform. Kinect stuff is really neat for a lot of people and especially young children.

I mean it's $5 a month. I waste that much money renting a mumble server to talk to friends playing WoW. ^_^.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
The ads are on the dashboard for silver and gold members. If you're a gold member, you're paying them money to show you ads

You literally just proved yourself wrong...

The ads are there on silver memberships as you just said. Silver membership is free. Therefore you are not paying them money to show you ads...

This is not being "defensive", its proving you wrong.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
The ads are on the dashboard for silver and gold members. If you're a gold member, you're paying them money to show you ads

You literally just proved yourself wrong...

The ads are there on silver memberships as you just said. Silver membership is free. Therefore you are not paying them money to show you ads...

This is not being "defensive", its proving you wrong.

Good lord it's like I'm replying to a child. See the bolded/underlined part.
Edited by Mordrid on 12/14/2012 6:57 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
What NEW ADS are added when you get a gold membership as opposed to a silver membership?

As you have not specified anything other than "it happens".

If there are no new adds when you have a gold membership, then in no way are you paying for those adds.

Just to reitirate...

You said that silver AND gold memberships have ads

12/13/2012 02:52 PMPosted by Mordrid
The ads are on the dashboard for silver and gold members.

If no new ads are being displayed when you upgrade to a gold membership, then that means you are not paying for the ads.
Edited by Hiroran on 12/14/2012 7:27 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]