Make arena a spectator sport

90 Blood Elf Rogue
Too many times I find myself between the trade chat in Orgrimmar or watching PvP videos on youtube. The wow pvp scene on youtube is already quite large, so why not bring a bit of the community back into the game by making arena matches available for spectators to watch.

I imagine this would offer a lot of people a more hands on learning experience when it comes to studying your class or just the general aspects of pvp. There could be a chat room for all the banter to be spelled out (obviously kept from the arena players view as this would result in unfair and annoying play). A few games do this already, most famously is probably fps shooters like COD or BF but I'd really love to see this be put into action in an MMO, especially considering WoW has some of the most competitive PvP action online.

Watching your mates, or maybe even some 2200+ rating matches would be a lot of fun, the only technical issue I could see with this is if too many people were watching a game there may be small issues with lag so I imagine this would have to be a finer detail that would be figured out down the road.

So all in all, just looking for some feedback. What are your thoughts?
Edited by Elvriqe on 12/13/2012 3:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
This was discussed in the recent interview. I'm for it, but they said "We don't want 3v3 to turn into 4v4 because one guy is always spectating and giving advice for your team."

This, I felt, was rather silly. It's an important part of MMA and boxing, having a corner. It's a big part of League of Legends and organized sports, having a coach. A short delay would be all that's needed.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
It could be solved by blocking the comunications on the arena and by showing a different battlegroup fight. Dunno if it is possible, but...
Edited by Artheran on 12/12/2012 11:33 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
It already is because you spend all your time in a cc chain. Amirite?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
Arth, there's still Skype.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
Do it like how League of Legends does it, have a time delay for spectators.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Just watch a stream. I really hate to be a buzz kill, but one of the reasons this shouldn't be implemented is because it would harm streaming. Do your favorite player and favor and watch him/her! It gives you entertainment, and it gives them money.
Edited by Conspiracy on 12/12/2012 1:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
12/12/2012 01:35 PMPosted by Conspiracy
Just watch a stream. I really hate to be a buzz kill, but one of the reasons this shouldn't be implemented is because it would harm streaming. Do your favorite player and favor and watch him/her! It gives you entertainment, and it gives them money.

Thissssssssssssss.

I used to not like streams as much but they've been really entertaining lately, and not only that, but they're pretty informative. Streamers seem more than happy to answer questions in chat etc.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
Yeah, and sometimes they get guest speakers. I forget who I was watching the other day, but Mia Rose was making fun of him and it was extremely entertaining.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
This was discussed in the recent interview. I'm for it, but they said "We don't want 3v3 to turn into 4v4 because one guy is always spectating and giving advice for your team."

This, I felt, was rather silly. It's an important part of MMA and boxing, having a corner. It's a big part of League of Legends and organized sports, having a coach. A short delay would be all that's needed

disable chat when watching, easy enough

I think there's a software called skype... some people use it.

Anyway, the best way to deal with that would be to add a 5-10 second delay to the spectator. Kinda like what RBG streamers do in Twitch to avoid strategy sniping.
Reply Quote
Just add a 30 second delay in the spectators POV, just like counterstrike HLTV, which was 180 secs
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
12/12/2012 05:04 PMPosted by Bigwade
Just add a 30 second delay in the spectators POV, just like counterstrike HLTV, which was 180 secs

1. I agree with you Bigwade, yes Skype would be an issue but adding a 10-30 second delay would be more than enough to counter this I think.

2. And personally I don't think this would draw away from those wow players out there that make their money through streaming. Streaming offers a much more detailed "arenajunkies" aspect to arena, people watch it to get better and for some entertainment. The idea of making arenas a spectator sport would be to get all the people, myself included, who are a bit bored in Org an opportunity to watch some skilled action on the battlefield.
Reply Quote
Biggest issue here is, blizzard has no idea what games are going to be fair.
watching enh feral pal into any team with a mage is the most disgusting thing you can ever watch atm, they would need some way to filter what games arn't a joke, and are worth watching, hopefully to encourage better play and reduce the !@#$%ing on these forums.
(In theory the longest arena cd is... 6 min, i think) so a 6 min delay would cover everything. LoL set up 3 min delay (ward duration) so that you couldn't ghost

It also encourages it as you could potential watch someone cast it, (vhell/azeal, or whoever you prefer) that understand the game, likely better then almost anyone watching.
Edited by Reqy on 12/13/2012 1:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
12/12/2012 11:36 AMPosted by Trenk

Yeah but if they're going to bring skype into it, you may as well say that they're sitting next to them giving them advice, or watching from a stream (though it would be delayed a tad).

That's still a bad response though. I wouldn't mind sitting waiting for raid to start or when I'm generally just on WoW killing time to watch random arena matches.

If nothing else then make it swap the viewer in between random matches. This way you can't just have someone "giving them advice" as a spectator and we can still watch matches. Wins all around.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7273268694?page=4

Addressing some issues holding back WoW from becoming an E-sport.

As for the spectator argument that it would be like a 4v4: what's to stop an IRL friend from just sitting behind someone and doing the same thing. These things can already happen, why not give access to everyone.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
12/12/2012 11:36 AMPosted by Trenk

And that's why I suggested the players to watch different battlegroup fights. Also it could be made like the random queue system... Which makes harder to match the same players over and over.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Spectator sport? I think it works better as a comedy.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
12/13/2012 03:07 AMPosted by Rihard
Spectator sport? I think it works better as a comedy.

Either way you still get a laugh.

12/13/2012 02:03 AMPosted by Kallìk

Yeah but if they're going to bring skype into it, you may as well say that they're sitting next to them giving them advice, or watching from a stream (though it would be delayed a tad).

That's still a bad response though. I wouldn't mind sitting waiting for raid to start or when I'm generally just on WoW killing time to watch random arena matches.

If nothing else then make it swap the viewer in between random matches. This way you can't just have someone "giving them advice" as a spectator and we can still watch matches. Wins all around.

And yes this is precisely what I'm trying to target with this idea. Those long 20+ minute ques in LFR or even some dungeons you end up running around a city or trolling the auction house just because there's nothing else to do. Watching a few arenas while you wait would be a great way to pass the time.. sit back, relax and enjoy the competition.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]