Will of emperor, help with tank healing.

90 Troll Priest
Last night we returned to work on will of emperor, which is the current progression boss for us. We have a druid healer healing a bear tank, and I am a disc healer healing a monk tank.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-x9070fqxi2wn1nul/ world of logs if that helps for the attempts.

Currently every wipe we had last night, was because I slipped up or something and my tank dies. Currently it may be that I'm simply not healing my tank as soon as the combo ends, but its up in the air if the tanks is easy to heal or hellishly difficult for some reason (I'm assuming dodge/parry/etc. are playing a role in this).
My current tactic is
Charge up archangel when tanks are dancing. (which doing that also heals the raid)
Power word shield and pop archangel when bosses resume attacking.
Inner focus and greater heal when able.
Penance whenever damage isn't overwhelming.
Greater heal/flash heal when damage is heavy.

During titan gas. (Tanks also pop CDs during this phase as well)
Pop power infusion.
Focus on topping the tanks then pop spirit shell and spam prayer of healing.
Pop barrier if we need a CD.
Pop pain suppression if my tank is going to take too much damage.

I may of missed a couple details, I'll be sure to add if I remember them.
Thanks if you can help out with this.
Edited by Trollinhobo on 12/12/2012 9:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/12/2012 09:41 AMPosted by Trollinhobo
Focus on topping the tanks then pop spirit shell and spam prayer of healing

If your druid healer can keep the raid up more easily even without it, I'd pop spirit shell as a tank cd. SS+gheal= amazing tank healing
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
12/12/2012 09:47 AMPosted by Keirisonis
Focus on topping the tanks then pop spirit shell and spam prayer of healing

If your druid healer can keep the raid up more easily even without it, I'd pop spirit shell as a tank cd. SS+gheal= amazing tank healing

That sounds like a good idea as well.
I would have to make sure raid damage isn't too much, but using spirit shell on CD would probably make that tank damage phase a lot easier.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
1st try : Tank got hit 5 times
2nd try : 1 time
3rd try : 6 times
4th try : 2 times
Your tank got hit 14 times in the dance, it's unacceptable. It should be 0.

It ain't an healing issue, it's a tank issue.
Edited by Darnda on 12/12/2012 10:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
As long as there aren't too many adds out during Titan Gas (mostly you don't want Strengths up stunning anyone during), a CD such as Tranquility/Divine Hymn/Healing Tide should suffice to keep the raid up through gas while you focus on the tanks.

Communicate with your co-healers and let them know your actions, tell them you'll be prioritizing tanks during Gas.

Your tank got hit 13 times in the dance, it's unacceptable. It should be 0.

Oh my. I didn't even look at the logs. Yes, that's pretty scary. Our tank had a bit of a learning curve with this as well, just tell him to try harder.
Edited by Qùess on 12/12/2012 10:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
One thing you can do is look at the parses for other disc priests on the same fight. I think you will notice far less GH usage by other disc priests. I'd revisit your inclination to choose GH over penance. Penance is more efficient and "front loads" some of the heal which could very well save a tank that would have died during a GH cast.

In general, if you find yourself using GH to "catch up" a lot, that's a bad scenario. Start looking at the damage on the tanks. There's room for everyone to improve.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
1st try : Tank got hit 5 times
2nd try : 1 time
3rd try : 6 times
4th try : 2 times
Your tank got hit 14 times in the dance, it's unacceptable. It should be 0.

I did not notice this, thank you for pointing it out.
I'm still learning the fight as well, but its good to know I'm not the only one still learning.

One thing you can do is look at the parses for other disc priests on the same fight. I think you will notice far less GH usage by other disc priests. I'd revisit your inclination to choose GH over penance. Penance is more efficient and "front loads" some of the heal which could very well save a tank that would have died during a GH cast.

In general, if you find yourself using GH to "catch up" a lot, that's a bad scenario. Start looking at the damage on the tanks. There's room for everyone to improve.

Also, Penance>GH, this ain't Cata.

Even if it was Cata, Penance>GH

This was extremely helpful, thanks a ton for this tip. Now I just need to get the 4pc set bonus .
Edited by Trollinhobo on 12/12/2012 10:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I’d personally would 3 heal it but I do see a few things that would help you. You shouldn’t have to move on that fight so I’d swap out the penance glyph with Prayer of Mending. With that being said, you would do well to use it more.

You have a pretty good base strategy on how to handle that fight, now all you have to do is sprinkle in some cooldowns. Use them early and often. Use spirit shell on him when you don’t have archangel/inner focus up and rotate them. At the start, when the tank is kiting the boss into position, pain suppress him and then use barrier for the next post combo melee attacks. Doing this will allow you to squeeze more of these cooldowns. Don’t forget void shift, its awsomesause. I personally love the void shift/desperate prayer combo.

Mana is going to be an issue so use mind bender on the pull and of course, on cooldown from there. Use Hymn of hope (remember to use it early) and potion of concentration during the “dances”. Use mindbender with Hymn because you will get more mana back that way. Stagger your shields between the two tanks to maximize rapture.

On a side note. Tell your tank and melee to be at max melee range, it makes it so much easier to dodge combos.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
HC
12/12/2012 10:28 AMPosted by Sparklefever
Will absolutely doesn't need to be 3 healed. It's less healing intensive than Elegon if the tanks aren't dumb. It'll end up being more healing intensive if you get adds piled up on you with the lack of a DPS.

So much this.

I've never really seen it 3 healed iirc?

----

Tell your tanks to use On-use dodge trinkets (none of that dodge/mastery proc on damage crap), for when tank damage is up. What i'll do is use my first on use before the first dance, the second on use after the first dance, then my 3m, then keep rotating. It really helps incoming tank damage, since dodging a melee is a nice feeling on that fight. (the bosses hit like trucks full of dynamite.)
Have tanks say, "tank damage down" when they are dancing, and get used to the timing. They should be pretty resilient until you get to them.

Oh, and tell them to figure out dancing quick. LFR if you have to.

Your monk's guard uptime is good, his shuffle uptime is horrible and it doesn't look like he's placing an ox statue, which is effectively slapping healers in the face :P

Rages should be CC'd, knocked back, and snuffed out, since outside of the dances and tank healing, they are really the only potential main source of damage on the fight.
Edited by Advanced on 12/12/2012 10:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Don't get your panties all in a bunch. We 3 heal it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
To be fair, as long as adds are handled it is easily 3 healed. The top guild on our server 3 healed it because they needed the extra oomph.

If you have the dps, go for it. If not, it's a bad idea.
Edited by Keirisonis on 12/12/2012 11:11 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
HC
12/12/2012 11:00 AMPosted by Gandhisfist
Don't get your panties all in a bunch. We 3 heal it.

/facepalm

Harass a poster by stating your own setbacks. GG WORLD GG

Nice try big boy.

To be fair, as long as adds are handled it is easily 3 healed. The top guild on our server 3 healed it because they needed the extra oomph.

If you have the dps, go for it. If not, it's a bad idea.

As long as the adds are handled its also easily 2 healed?
You dont need the extra oomph?

Why do people insist on gimping themselves?
Edited by Advanced on 12/12/2012 11:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Figure out if your tanks are dodging properly. If they're not find a way to get it fixed.

Don't focus on one tank, heal them both (if you can't manage this I'm going out on a limb and saying your tanks are doing something wrong). You can toss out some AoE heals when able, particularly during gas, but you should be fine prioritizing the tanks.

Try to have CD's up for when the dance is over. The bosses hit like trucks during this part :). AA, SS, IF, PI, PS, whatever. Don't hold these CD's for the gas. It's a bit different on normal but I would recommend using SS with GH more because a SS capped shield+PW:S on a tank is a huge buffer.

Based on your logs you don't appear to be using Penance enough. You can pretty much rotate it between the tanks on CD to keep Grace up on both of them. Try to keep bubbles up on both tanks as well. When doing this weave shields between other abilities to abuse BT. Greater Heal is fine just make sure you're prioritizing Penance and PW:S.

Use HF on CD to generate Evangelism stacks. Don't bother Smiting unless both tanks are at like... full health with shields up. I would avoid using Penance offensively as well, as maintaining Grace on tanks is probably going to be more beneficial.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
As long as the adds are handled its also easily 2 healed?
You dont need the extra oomph?

As in it's easier to keep people alive with a lot less stress with 3 healers. You don't end up with nearly as many "oh !@#$ i got stunned and the rage ate me" moments if you have 3 healers. Not everyone has raiders that play perfectly all the time. 3 healers allow you to cover the mistakes they're bound to make.

If adds are going down easily, but people are getting hit fairly hard due to failings in other departments, it makes sense to get another healer in there to smooth out the damage. The adds will still go down and 1 mistake won't spell a wipe.

Not to mention, many guilds run 3 healers when learning a fight and downgrade once it gets easier to handle. Can't learn mechanics if healers are oom and 4 dps are dead.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Lol advanced. My my, these shrill and emotionally charged responses are Quite entertaining but You're painfully reaching at this point and its probably best that you take your afternoon nap.
Edited by Gandhisfist on 12/12/2012 12:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I recommend 2 healing this like you are currently doing. This is 100% your tanks fault for the wipes. They should never get hit by the dance, and if they do, they need to say "oh I got one stack, whoops, gonna need a bit of extra help." If they start taking 2 or 3 every time, you may want to have someone else tank. I have noticed that it helps if your brewmaster stacks mastery for that fight as well to increase stagger effectiveness.

Healing becomes so easy at that point you can honestly 2 heal it with you ONLY healing through atonement and shields during all non-gas phases, and archangel, power infusion, spirit shells on the raid during gas(but only while the dance is happening on your current tank, otherwise keep him topped).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]