Playing a Mage is no longer fun

90 Worgen Mage
Blizzard I wanted to congratulate you for ruining the fun factor in playing a Mage. The nerf to fire which was the only enjoyable spec that Mages had in a raiding environment is gone. That little .05 CM nonsense you gave back to us did nothing.

To any other class that is gonna say dont QQ this isnt about DPS. I have several parses in top 50. I am not complaining about being able to get numbers. This is about enjoying my time playing the game.

Had I known this expansion I would be forced into Arcane I would have invested my time in another character. YES I was forced into Arcane because I raid progression.

WoTLK – Arcane

Cata – Arcane

MoP - Arcane

Playing a class where you spend your time painting the ground, managing mana, spamming 1 button is not fun.

SO that being said. For all you Mages out there having a hard time playing Arcane and have questions about rotation I decided to dig into my archives to find you all a fantastic guide to playing arcane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISsOjfHgtws

Please pay close attention to the methods used in this video if you want to get the numbers I am currently achieving.

Blizzard <---- For the money I spend to play this game you need to get your !@#$ together. If I owned/worked for Blizzard I would be outright embarrassed with myself and the company I work for. This is total amateur hour.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
That isn't even remotely close to how MoP Arcane plays.. Not. Even. Close.
Reply Quote
1 Draenei Hunter
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
WAAAAAAAAAAH
WAAH WAAH WAAAAAAAH
It was partially reverted. Sorry you don't get to be #1 for a quarter of the effort the rest of your raid puts out.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
Aitheist you could bind Arcane blast, Scorch, Arcane Blast, Scorch, (rinse repeat) Then place face on the keyboard and roll.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
YES I was forced into Arcane because I raid progression.
You made a choice. You have the choice to rerole if the grass looks so greener.

99% sure this is just a cry for attention. You get zero sympathy from me.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
lv90 talent RoP is very badly design...
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
12/12/2012 09:10 PMPosted by Pyrotux
Aitheist you could bind Arcane blast, Scorch, Arcane Blast, Scorch, (rinse repeat) Then place face on the keyboard and roll.

You had top 50s with scorch in your rotation?
Reply Quote
12/13/2012 04:36 AMPosted by Deathcoil

You had top 50s with scorch in your rotation?

Many Arcane Mages are using Scorch to do what's called a "scorch weave" during movement demanding battles, yes. Essentially it's the only spell an Arcane Mage can cast while on the move (Arcane gets exactly zero instant cast procs) and as long as the Arcane Mage casts an Arcane Explosion with 2 seconds left on his Arcane Charge stack, he resets the charges so he's doing full damage when he's able to start casting again.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
You give a mouse a cookie...
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Welcome to the Dark Brotherhood.
Reply Quote
69 Worgen Warrior
YES I was forced into Arcane because I raid progression.
You made a choice. You have the choice to rerole if the grass looks so greener.

99% sure this is just a cry for attention. You get zero sympathy from me.

99% of it is a cry because his class/spec got nerfed. Simple as that. People never admit that a nerf was appropriate. They simply whine about it over and over and claim that their class is at the bottom in the dps parses or completely boring and unfun to play. The mage class is not the only class that has done this...ALL classes that have been nerfed have done this. The difference is Blizzard's response....they reverted a good bit of the nerf (no the buff was not only a .05 to the crit on one spell) VERY quickly in response to the whining. Most classes have to wait a significantly longer period of time to get a response from Blizzard.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
12/13/2012 06:29 AMPosted by Oaklander
no the buff was not only a .05 to the crit on one spell)

Well technically it was. As its a passive spell that effectively increases the mages crit by 0.05% of what it used to be. Thats about a 1.5% crit increase for me if i am reforged to crit. It is a very small buff. The dot spread stuff only affects a few fights like maybe amber shaper and the guy before him.
Reply Quote
69 Worgen Warrior
Well they took it down from 1.5 to 1.25 so that original nerf was a .25 nerf to crit chance and then they restored it to 1.3 to they reverted 20% of the nerf AND buffed the AOE damage back up for cleave fights. I would assume that gear scaling will replace a good bit of that remaining .20 soon enough. The bottom line is...a .20 reduction in crit chance should NOT make a class THAT much less fun to play such that the OP would quit because of it.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
12/13/2012 07:12 AMPosted by Oaklander
Well they took it down from 1.5 to 1.25 so that original nerf was a .25 nerf to crit chance and then they restored it to 1.3 to they reverted 20% of the nerf AND buffed the AOE damage back up for cleave fights. I would assume that gear scaling will replace a good bit of that remaining .20 soon enough. The bottom line is...a .20 reduction in crit chance should NOT make a class THAT much less fun to play such that the OP would quit because of it.

I agree about it shouldn't make it that much less fun based solely on the crit.

But the tiny revert on the nerf really wasn't that much.

Edit: I still enjoy fire, but I also am enjoying arcane a bit and I like changing specs every few months, as i did that back in DS between the two. Keeps things more interesting. Also arcane is doing better so its a better idea for me to try it out now.
Edited by Hiroran on 12/13/2012 7:18 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Mages are sad this expansion :(
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
The issue that Blizzard tried to fix in a clumsy way was to bring down scaling of mage crit rate so that, as gear levels went up, mage crit rate would go up exponentially more.
This means that in t15/16 is would have silly...as it was in dragon soul.

The problem with doing it now, in the middle of this raids progression is that it had the effect
pushing mage crit rate and dps back to pre raid levels in higher ilevel gear.

With this being said, it is true that as you get to heroic gear and over the next tier 5.2, the crit rate for fire mages will return to pre nerf rates and it will do much better. It does not change the fact that the way it was done and the time is bad.

I find fire more fun because of the mobility and procs..it plays more fluid and you don't have to micromanage anything. Arcane is not nearly as fun as I watch my arcane power and mana bar most of the fight...kinda like a healer watching grid. Yes it does well, but I don't have any joy or enthusiasm for playing the spec. That is the bigger point all the trolls miss.

The minute gear and crit allow for viable fire dps in raids, I am switching back. Fire is fun and arcane is dull/boring.
Reply Quote
69 Worgen Warrior
Well, how long should they have left fire mages at a level 20% higher than the next highest dps class? The entire raid progression? ANd if so, how do you explain this to other dps classes that are excluded by the top end guilds in favor of strong dps from the fire spec? I dont like nerfs, but this one had to drop when it did or it would have hurt other dps specs tremendously through this raid tier. I understand that the timing sucks from a fire mage's perspective...frankly, there is never a GOOD time for being nerfed, lol...but this nerf had to fall when it did to balance a glaring dps outlier.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
12/13/2012 07:48 AMPosted by Oaklander
Well, how long should they have left fire mages at a level 20% higher than the next highest dps class? The entire raid progression

This was never true for at least all of this tier...

12/13/2012 07:48 AMPosted by Oaklander
there is never a GOOD time for being nerfed,

Actually thats kind of false, nerfing when a new tier is out is generally the best way to do it as thats when people start getting brand new gear sets. It then also does not interfere with progression for people. People may not like it but there are good times to do almost anything.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]