Have we all become spoiled gamers?

What do y'all think... Are the games being released just not worthy? Or are the gamers becoming spoiled?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Depends on the game I think.

Shooters all seem to be the same. Some games are rushed to the point of just being stupid. ( Mass Effect 3 anyone? )

MMOS seem to contain both the "yay effort!" and "omg too much effort!" group.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
Companies aren't opening their minds to new ideas. Hence why the same AAA games get re-made for years and years with no new ideas because they're scared of failure. Indie titles are the only ones able to express creativity and thats why they're doing so well.

It's not gamers being spoiled, its AAA companies being scared of letting people down/losing money.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
GW2 is fun.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
100 Gnome Warrior
12/12/2012 02:44 PMPosted by Qtpuety
It's not gamers being spoiled, its AAA companies being scared of letting people down/losing money.

It's been estimated (quite some time ago) that it would take on the level of a billion dollars to put out an MMO to compete with WoW.

That's a lot of money to put on the "maybe we'll do OK" line on the craps table.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
It's between "gamers" acting selfish and Developers being morons and only caring about making the most money.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
12/12/2012 02:46 PMPosted by Crepe
It's been estimated (quite some time ago) that it would take on the level of a billion dollars to put out an MMO to compete with WoW.

What keeps people loyal to WoW is:

1. Friends that play WoW.
2. Time invested in player development.
3. The "grind", Players are conditioned to do dailies/raid/achievments.
4. The MMO "award" system. Completing small tasks and getting awards make players feel warm and fuzzy inside.

There are a few games out there that are better then WoW (and that's OK), that did not cost so much money, but loyality can keep a player in the same game for years.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
12/12/2012 02:55 PMPosted by Bloodbliss

What keeps people loyal to WoW is:

1. Friends that play WoW.
2. Time invested in player development.
3. The "grind", Players are conditioned to do dailies/raid/achievments.
4. The MMO "award" system. Completing small tasks and getting awards make players feel warm and fuzzy inside.

There are a few games out there that are better then WoW (and that's OK), that did not cost so much money, but loyality can keep a player in the same game for years.

#2 is the best answer. Some of my favorite games of all time are Borderlands one and two. A mixture of a fps and an rpg. I picked up Borderlands 1 after I gave wow a break during BC, I loved them both but came to realize it was the time invested for my toons growth that I was really attracted to. No game does that better than wow.
Reply Quote
100 Human Hunter
12/12/2012 02:46 PMPosted by Crepe

That's a lot of money to put on the "maybe we'll do OK" line on the craps table.

One. Billion. Dollars?

:>

I guess SWTOR was around 3/4 billion dollars short.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I'm a spoiled gamer. With the explosion of PC games coming from small/indy developers, I have a huge backlog of games to play that are genuinely unique, fun, cheap, and exciting to play. So games now need to compete with those small/indy dev games, not just Call of Duty 85 or Battlefield 43 any more.
Reply Quote
96 Night Elf Hunter
12/12/2012 02:44 PMPosted by Qtpuety
Companies aren't opening their minds to new ideas. Hence why the same AAA games get re-made for years and years with no new ideas because they're scared of failure. Indie titles are the only ones able to express creativity and thats why they're doing so well.

This is actually something I've been thinking a lot about lately. My boyfriend and I recently decided to create our own MMO, from the ground up. Is it likely it will ever become something? Heck no, but it will make for an interesting creative exercise.

So far we've been doing pretty well. We both enjoy and dislike different aspects of games, giving us two distinct perspectives to work with as we attempt to build this game.

The problem, however, comes at the end. Once we are done, what do we do? Do we really try to pitch it to an established company? We're leaning towards no because our ideas build upon already recognized and successful traits of the MMO genre, plus a little more. We're attempting to re-work what an MMO can be, combining many elements of different types of MMOs, as well as aspects of single player games. But with this reworking comes enormous risk. Will a big company be willing to put that much effort into a game that might not succeed? On the flip side though, will an indie company be able to do the game justice? Will they have the capabilities to create the game we have envisioned and make it the best it can be?

It's tough. Do you want an innovative, but rough around the edges game, or do you want the same ol' same ol' with pretty graphics and game mechanics?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I do not think of myself as spoiled. Just someone with limited funds and my "deal breaker" list for pay to play games I guess is picky. Does that make me spoiled?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Free to play flash games has certainly changed the gaming landscape. Sometimes in Best Buy or Target I will see the small display of $10 games and almost all of them are just versions of games you can play for free.

On the other side of the coin is console games costing $60 that you play for maybe 10 hours and are done. I am not sure I'd say gamers are spoiled, just that the industry is trying to find the right way to create, market and distribute games that makes sense in a constantly changing landscape.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
12/12/2012 02:52 PMPosted by Kareese
It's between "gamers" acting selfish and Developers being morons and only caring about making the most money.

Pretty much this.

I don't consider myself spoiled or selfish, but I've seen like never before others who would devalue the pixels they have just because someone else gets them. The threads I see on this forum of people complaining or quitting because they want others to be deprived of their lewts are always sad.

I wouldn't consider customers who expect to be buying a finished product as selfish or spoiled either. The developers seem to think it's fine to release shoddy, unfinished, buggy as hell products and people who are upset after spending money on something that isn't working as intended get told to "stop being so entitled" and "wait a few months, everyone knows the first x months of a game/expansion/whatever are going to be like this".

Uh, wut?

I'm really not sure at all why it's supposed to be acceptable to have portions of a product you purchase, and then have to pay regularly for, go for months and years at a time broken or bugged. It's not acceptable. But I guess both customers and developers are complacent in being lazy.
Reply Quote
88 Tauren Shaman
12/12/2012 02:46 PMPosted by Bloodbliss
GW2 is fun.

Debatable. Personally I think I have been spoiled MMO wise. I hate new UI and basically any game that doesnt have a a PUG feature for PvP or instances.
Reply Quote
95 Night Elf Warrior
No I'm not a spoiled gamer I'm simply a lot pickier about what I consider acceptable. I know what I want to see in a video game and when I don't see it I become disappointed.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
Considering in my lifetime, we went from pen & paper, board games to pong to 8 bit pixel to 3d to online. So, spoiled in that we get more tech, more astounding gfx, more entertainment? Yes, we're spoiled.

In terms of WoW itself? Considering the proliferation of free games, asking gamers to pay $40 for a game is asking a lot. Asking for a $15/month subscription on top of that is unheard of today. Most, if not all other games that tries it, fails. So no, we're not spoiled in terms of WoW. Blizzard is.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter

Shooters all seem to be the same. Some games are rushed to the point of just being stupid. ( Mass Effect 3 anyone? )

I don't understand this. Nothing about it felt rushed to me. That game was really good outside of its horrible ending. Those hours and hours of playtime until the ending were amazing. The day one dlc was stupid, hate those with a passion especially ones that reveal so much story, and the online multiplayer felt tacked on and unnecessary.

12/12/2012 02:43 PMPosted by Rosenivy
MMOS seem to contain both the "yay effort!" and "omg too much effort!" group.

This is true and the problem arises in that they want the same reward for their varying degrees of effort. Also doesn't help that if their is no reward people might not do things anymore in this game, no matter how much fun they might actually have.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]