Have we all become spoiled gamers?

91 Dwarf Rogue
Many are waiting for the next new big thing.

Maybe when everyone gets Google Fiber.
Reply Quote
95 Night Elf Warrior
First world problems.

But I think gamers have always been rather stuck up. Even I can be a little snotty at times about the game and then look back on something and realize how I sounded like a child begging for candy.

Blanket statements aren't good for anything but keeping you warm at night. I could easily point out several people at any given place who fall under that description who probably couldn't tell you the first thing about video games.
Many are waiting for the next new big thing.

Maybe when everyone gets Google Fiber.
I pity the person who's gonna have to clean the internet sewers when that stuff gets to work.
Edited by Vayasha on 12/12/2012 3:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
If you listen to the latest Joystiq Podcast, they got into great detail about Bioshock Infinite.

As you listen to them talk about this amazing sounding game, you can't help but realize that... yes..

games just aren't what they used to be.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Death Knight
I'm not sure about being spoiled or being morons. Games are entertainment. To be worthy of your entertainment dollars it should be engaging. It should give you some thrills, get your blood pumping, tweak your emotions, make you mad sometimes and make you cheer at others. Consumers have come to expect that and developers deserve to earn a living for providing you your entertainment.

Many times though developers attempt to boil it down to statistics and formulas then wrap it in a pretty skin, compose a compelling score and call it good. In the end it winds up being tedious and repetitive.

Keeping it fresh and exciting is the hard part. Star Wars was a fabulous movie when it came out. How many times in a row could you stand watching it though? After Rocky 4, did anyone care anymore?

I think this more than anything else is what bothers people about dailies, running the same dungeons over and over, or doing whatever repetitive thing you have to do to get motes. Its like watching the same 5 episodes of a TV show over and over again. It stops being entertaining and becomes tedium.
Reply Quote
11 Orc Hunter
"Spoiled" is a charged term that isn't entirely accurate and isn't conducive to good discussion.

Are gamers frequently expecting too much from games? That is a resounding yes. Between the multi-million dollar advertising campaigns for games and gamers' own vivid imaginations, gamers' expectations can reach a point where no game, no matter how good, could satisfy them.

To use a familiar example, Diablo 3 suffered from this. Diablo 3 seemed like a very good game on its own merits, but it was utterly crushed by expectations. "We waited 8 years, and this is all we got?" was a sentiment I saw frequently. What game can possibly stand up to 8 years of build expectations?
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Many of the gamers are simply older now and have taken on far more real life responsibilities which naturally cut down on play time.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
12/12/2012 04:08 PMPosted by Melinjem
Many of the gamers are simply older now and have taken on far more real life responsibilities which naturally cut down on play time.
Yeah but I don't want the game dumbed down into simple mode. I still play Contra without the Konami code, I play every game on Hardmode.

You know what really grinds my gears is stupid tutorials. Like what the hell happened to learning the games mechanics yourself through experience?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
12/12/2012 02:41 PMPosted by Angaral
. Are the games being released just not worthy? Or are the gamers becoming spoiled?

Can it be both?
Reply Quote
43 Blood Elf Warrior
12/12/2012 04:08 PMPosted by Melinjem

While at the same time, a new, younger generation of gamers should be coming in.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]