Suggestions to alleviate LFR Healer shortages

90 Troll Shaman
I have noticed rather long dps and tank queus for LFR raids while healing queus are about 30 seconds. This leads one to believe that an increase in healer participation in LFR would alleviate these queus and allow a larger amount of players to experience content without experiencing down time.

I play a main spec healer in a casual raiding guild and thus I have all the gear I need from LFR for my healing spec. This has been the case for quite some time. I do not, however, have anywhere near a full off spec set of gear. I run my LFRs most weeks, but half the time I queue as a healer and just dps, while the other half I queue as dps. These two scenarios are indicative of the two biggest impediments to healer participation in LFR. An simple option to chose the spec you want LFR gear from instead of being forced into gear from your current spec would absolutely encourage me to heal a greater number of LFR bosses. This would help with other healers as all healing classes have at least one off spec set of gear.

Further exacerbating my lack of participation in LFRs as a healer is that it is incredibly boring. LFR damage is so under tuned that there is very little to do as a healer. DPS can still watch meters and blow stuff up, tanks are still managing adds and working with fight mechanics, but healers do nothing. I have found no correlation between the success of runs with 6 healers versus runs where I am supposed to heal but dps instead.

LFR needs to be incredibly easy in comparison to an organized guild run, however, the developers needs to take a look at tuning these in a slightly different fashion. It is necessary that abilities which one shot a character in normal mode do not have the same massive damage amounts in LFR. This allows inexperienced players to make mistakes and have fun. Examples of such abilities would be Spirit Kings Anihilate and wind bombs on Windlord. However, pulsing aoe damage and standard tank damage just does not need to be as low as it currently is. LFRs need to be tuned such that a failure to execute raid mechanics does not kill the group. However, damage that is not tied to a raid mechanic should be much higher so that there is sufficient incoming damage to provide healers with something to..... heal. If there is nothing to heal, it is not fun to be a healer, and healers will not participate in LFR unless they need heal spec gear on that particular fight.
Edited by Rob on 12/11/2012 4:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
aus
12/11/2012 04:35 PMPosted by Rob
Further exacerbating my lack of participation in LFRs as a healer is that it is incredibly boring. LFR damage is so under tuned that there is very little to do as a healer. DPS can still watch meters and blow stuff up, tanks are still managing adds and working with fight mechanics, but healers do nothing. I

I believe that a lot of that is down to healer design. Our potential to save idiots has been reduced a lot. If someone is doing something wrong they are probably going to die, so they don't actually make healing harder, then if you actually hit the enrage because of lack of players everybody dies. Its also because my steady output is fairly close to my maximum output. Numbers vary by fight but i might be able to do maintain 50k hps with almost no effort yet go oom in 60 seconds trying to do 80k hps.

Overall i find dps in lfr more boring then healing, but I like healing so their is probably some bias their.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Our potential to save idiots has been reduced a lot. [...] Its also because my steady output is fairly close to my maximum output.

I'm fine with said idiots not getting one shot when they are, as you say, idiots for failing at raid mechanics.

Further, you maximum output is defined by incoming damage.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Questing is a big part of this expansion, with most requiring combat. Healing gear doesn't help with that, so might as well go for the dps gear first.

Healing gear can come later.

That and blizz has been too shy with letting healers do damage while healing, so far only monks in low level dungeons and priest can do it with any effectiveness. All healers should be able to contribute some useful damage during maintenance heal phases, if only to see some difference in gearing up other than having less spots in raid and ending with more mana.

And dungeon spam is still better valor than running lfr, and I wish to god it wasn't.

Haven't noticed dps queues getting too long lately, but outside of loot tuesday you do wait a bit longer. Can only see this getting worse as the expansion progresses.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I think its that people don't want top play healers as much as tanks or dps because its more stressful to play a healer. Its way harder to heal then to tank or dps.

Even when making pickup groups for normal modes I notice the bottleneck is always finding healers.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
It would be awesome to get some numbers on "If you could select receiving gear for your DPS spec, would you be more willing to heal LFRs?"

Out of our 8 healers, I think at least 6 of them would say "yes"
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
I think its that people don't want top play healers as much as tanks or dps because its more stressful to play a healer. Its way harder to heal then to tank or dps.

Even when making pickup groups for normal modes I notice the bottleneck is always finding healers.

Starting from cata, a lot of people have been rerolling healers because they want faster queues and its "less stressful than tanking". From 80-90, healer queues can are pretty lengthy because there are no tanks.

At 85, I remember up to 16-17 minute queues as a healer for the troll instances until they became trivial at which point they were still 7-13 and instant for tanks.

I have no idea why its suddenly different for MoP LFR specifically.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight

Starting from cata, a lot of people have been rerolling healers because they want faster queues and its "less stressful than tanking". From 80-90, healer queues can are pretty lengthy because there are no tanks.

At 85, I remember up to 16-17 minute queues as a healer for the troll instances until they became trivial at which point they were still 7-13 and instant for tanks.

I have no idea why its suddenly different for MoP LFR specifically.

Well, the fact that the tank healer ratio in LFR is 2/6 vs 1/1 probably has something to do with that...

A Call to Arms feature for LFR would be nice. I know the CTA for heroics makes me marginally more likely to tank one.

Letting us get offspec gear would be another. DPSers who want quick queues might then heal for their DPS gear, boosting the number of healers, while tanks could DPS for their tank gear (many already do, in the wrong spec), cutting down the number of tanks in the queue. Both would ease queue times.
Edited by Saavuori on 12/11/2012 9:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight

ROFL? no.

Tanking is still pretty simple compared to healing.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
12/11/2012 09:39 PMPosted by Postonforums

ROFL? no.

I never said anything about difficulty. Tanking can be stressful because people just don't like to be the ones to call the shots.

Its not specifically tanks, people just don't like responsibility. It was a big thing back in EQ1 and 2 - People would often let the group die rather than evac and save a wipe because they are scared of taking the initiative.

Same thing happens here with heroism in 5-mans and LFR. Half the time people will not use it when its called. Instead, they either use it at a stupid time like right before Lei Shi hides, or when a victory is guaranteed already and theres no point.
Edited by Leciel on 12/11/2012 10:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

ROFL? no.

Yes tanking is very similar to dpsing, there usually is a tank swap or something due to some debuff but that really easy to get around just taunt.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
12/11/2012 10:53 PMPosted by Leciel
I never said anything about difficulty. Tanking can be stressful because people just don't like to be the ones to call the shots.

Ya, you're about 3 expansions late for when tanking was actually stressful, not just stressful because you can't pull a boss without 2 readychecks and someone ninja pulling for you in frustration.
Edited by Postonforums on 12/12/2012 4:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
12/12/2012 04:48 PMPosted by Postonforums

Ya, you're about 3 expansions late for when tanking was actually stressful, not just stressful because you can't pull a boss without 2 readychecks and someone ninja pulling for you in frustration.

Tanks in MoP get to top DPS on AoE fights, be essentially invulnerable until soft-enrages or high damage phases, and don't have to abide by any fight mechanics but tank swaps.

For dailies they can just gather a dozen mobs and AoE them down - Its only single target outdoors where their DPS is rather low.

So if its not responsibility and stress, why wouldn't people want to play tanks?
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
12/12/2012 07:40 PMPosted by Leciel
So if its not responsibility and stress, why wouldn't people want to play tanks?

5 minute DPS ques tell me tanks have increased.
Reply Quote
60 Draenei Death Knight
Questing is a big part of this expansion, with most requiring combat. Healing gear doesn't help with that, so might as well go for the dps gear first.

Healing gear can come later.

That and blizz has been too shy with letting healers do damage while healing, so far only monks in low level dungeons and priest can do it with any effectiveness. All healers should be able to contribute some useful damage during maintenance heal phases, if only to see some difference in gearing up other than having less spots in raid and ending with more mana.

In the world of dailycraft, it doesn't seem fair that tanks can pick up and aoe down every mob they need to kill, while I, as a healer, am burdened with spell pushback and long cast times versus a single target, does it? It's especially bad for paladins and monks, since they don't have a caster spec that can dps in healing gear.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid

ROFL? no.

I find healing a lot simpler while leveling. Don't have to know the instances or where to go or anything, you just follow the tank around and spam your heal of choice.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]