"Roll on a PvE server"

90 Pandaren Shaman
Nothing in life is fair, including this game. Why do I kill low levels? It makes them log on their main or bring out their 90 friends. Why do I camp the Dark Portal? Because it always turns into a war. On a PvP realm, there is danger everywhere. Even in your own city because of enemy stealthers.

Picture it like this. A guy is out and about, new to the soldier way of life, newly trained to the sword. He's not the best at what he does just yet, but he's okay. Then there's his enemy, lurking about.

His enemy isn't going to look at him and say "!@#$, this guy looks fairly new. I'm going to leave him alone."

No. Doesn't happen like that. Enemy is enemy. They die. He's going to kill that guy whether he be new and inexperienced, or well trained. Doesn't matter.
92 Troll Mage
12/12/2012 07:38 PMPosted by Pahanda
The thing is, it really *isn't* how PvP servers have worked in practice since launch.

STV, Hillsbrad, Hellfire Peninsula, etc.

I agree that there have throughout time been particular PvP hotspots, though (again, maybe it is rose-coloured-glasses) I don't ever feel it felt mean and nasty. If you went to those locations, you knew what you were getting into and that was that. I'd probably add Blackrock Mountain to your list. Now though, it feels like it isn't just people having fun participating in epic, mostly even battles at the hotspots, rather the whole world is a hotspot filled not with people looking for fights, but with people maliciously wanting to ruin the experience of others and then fly away. They come from a multitude of servers, with one intention - griefing. The occasional 2 or 3 corpse runs every hour that we used to have outside the core zones were fine and normal - you'd just ignore them and move on; now it feels like you spend more time dead than alive in levelling zones.
100 Dwarf Hunter
12/12/2012 07:18 PMPosted by Bashiok
The big issue here as I see it is that, and again Daxxarri's post above says it well, PvP realms weren't really proper PvP realms for many years, and now that they are again it's catching people off-guard.

Oh? Well then maybe you should have posted a notice a few years ago saying something along the lines of "Don't roll on PvP servers, because in a few years we will decide that there needs to be more lowbie ganking so we will unleash our wrath onto players who decided to roll on a low population realm for a reason, with the excuse that a handful of realms don't have nearly enough lowbie ganking to be considered PvP realms, our own arbitrary definition of how many of our paying customers we believe should be in any given zone at one time."

As it's been a fact of how PvP servers have worked since launch, it's not too surprising that others will respond with recommendations against being on that type of server if you don't want to accept everything that comes with it.

Been accepting it for about 3 years now, thanks to CRZ though what I had accepted has changed into something that I would not have accepted.

I like me some BGs, but leveling on PvP servers is just too frustrating. I've tried it, I hate it, and that's ok. It's not going to be for everyone.

Good to see some people understand, free realm transfers please. Don't feel like paying 200$ out of my pocket because blizz decided to massively change how I play by surgically inserting a disease that I like to call "An unnecessarily large amount of gankers." because apparently every PvP realm requires a certain amount of ganking in order to be considered "Fixed".

Just to reinforce what I am saying: I rolled on a PvP server and loved it, and I loved the leveling experience, which is why I stayed. If I would have rolled on it nowadays with CRZ and the majorly increased number of gankers, I would not have stayed on it and would have changed servers.
Edited by Spinnerdh on 12/12/2012 7:52 PM PST
90 Human Mage
12/12/2012 07:48 PMPosted by Xanzül

Last I checked on the realm there is no actual warning or wall of text telling you so now I'll admit that's from memory so when I see it I'll rescind it. Still let's not resort to insults unlike Xanzul here.

There absolutely is a warning and it has been on the character creation screen since launch. Regardless of that fact if you can't determine that you don't like pvp realms after leveling at least one character on one then I really don't know what to say that won't sound insulting or condescending.

You could avoid using the word "Baddie, PVECarebear or be condecending" You're creating drama where it doesn't need to be.
90 Undead Monk
12/12/2012 07:37 PMPosted by Tidez
The only true way to get to 90 in a reasonable amount of time is to grind dungeons, or roll PvE.

I leveled my monk in a few days /played through questing with a bg here and there. I saw alot of gankers on the way too. Know what I did? I rezzed and qued for a bg. Not once, did any ganker wait the 15+ minutes to gank me again. After Classic, you can easily hide behind something and mount up on rez to get away. If you are just getting endlessly camped, then do something about it. Most of the time it's as easy as calling out the gankers name and location in general.
90 Night Elf Druid
I'm with the blue's on this. I first rolled on a pvp server, I did not like it after a while. However I did not have any money to transfer and I didn't want to leave my friends...so I made a new toon on another server and played over there untill either all my friends quit or left the server themselves. Then I saved up enough money and went to that server that I built relations with.

saying "roll on a pve server" is not trolling, don't get upset because it is not the answer you want to hear. PvP realms are for those who enjoy it (and yes those people exist, I happen to be married to one) and they shouldn't get the hammer just because some people made a bad decision. on a pvp server, pvp lovers > those who dislike it.

really glad blizzard put their foot down on this one.
Edited by Athinah on 12/12/2012 7:52 PM PST
90 Night Elf Druid

I have a hard time believing you can't group with people to get them to the same zone as you... I have never had a problem getting to the same zone as someone I'm grouped with.

When the majority tends to move against them, instead of admitting that their facts may simply be their opinion, some people fabricate experiences to prove their point.

They are losing ground swiftly now.
92 Troll Mage
There absolutely is a warning and it has been on the character creation screen since launch. Regardless of that fact if you can't determine that you don't like pvp realms after leveling at least one character on one then I really don't know what to say that won't sound insulting or condescending.

We liked PvP realms for 6+ years, they were fine, had a nice balance of PvP without constant griefing. The experience changed vastly with CRZ, they are universes apart.
100 Undead Warlock
Making a list of all the Alliance players QQ'ing on this thread to find them for some world PvP Fun!

Welcome back to how was was intended to be played. If you don't like it, roll on a PVE server.
90 Draenei Priest

I have a hard time believing you can't group with people to get them to the same zone as you... I have never had a problem getting to the same zone as someone I'm grouped with.

When the majority tends to move against them, instead of admitting that their facts may simply be their opinion, some people fabricate experiences to prove their point.

They are losing ground swiftly now.

So you're just going to act like an entitled child stomping your feet until you get everything you ask for, then get bored and quit.

I'm with you on that, believe me.
90 Tauren Paladin
I like me some BGs, but leveling on PvP servers is just too frustrating. I've tried it, I hate it, and that's ok. It's not going to be for everyone.

Yea i first rolled on a pvp server and had many ganking experiences while levelling. You have to have thick skin if you are going to start out and level on a pvp server.
Some join PvP servers to be with their friends, some join PvP servers to have interaction with the enemy.

And then you get others like me who joined the server years ago, not knowing anything about differences between server types, and don't want to pay for a server change.

That's pretty much what I did, now I'm used to being on one, if the ganking gets really bad once I start leveling this toon, I will be forced to dungeon level, so much for being out and seeing the world like Blizzard wants, kinda defeats the purpose of crz which is to make the world "seem" more populated.
11 Draenei Paladin
To anyone considering quitting world of warcraft due to the massive increase in pvp due to cross realm zones, please make sure to list cross realm zones as your reason for quitting.
12/12/2012 07:52 PMPosted by Stochastic
We liked PvP realms for 6+ years, they were fine, had a nice balance of PvP without constant griefing. The experience changed vastly with CRZ, they are universes apart.

So what you mean was... you were on the dominant faction of your server, and now that you actually face competition and danger, you're angry? Because that's pretty much what most of the arguments have amounted to.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]