Least gear dependent specs?

100 Worgen Warlock
I was wondering what specs were the least gear dependent specs in the game?

I know some specs like Fire tend to skyrocket in their dps the higher ilvl they go while some don't scale like that, being very good at lower ilvls but only steadily gaining dps as ilvls go up.

Any thoughts?
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Arcane isn't to bad as a mage as far as being gear dependent, not reliant on a scaling mechanic such as crit to generate main dps ect.

I think a fair few of the melee classes get a fair wack of dps from weapon damage too so not sure about those guys.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Frost mage is the least gear dependent imo. Doesn't scale all that well in pve it seems but it does well with crit cap and any haste you have left over. Arcane is also doing well with haste or mastery builds. I think frost dk might be pretty good with lesser gear as well. Stay away from moonkins, warriors, and fire mages if you want to avoid a steep gear dependency.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
12/12/2012 11:20 PMPosted by Kerbs
Arcane isn't to bad as a mage as far as being gear dependent, not reliant on a scaling mechanic such as crit to generate main dps ect.

12/13/2012 02:21 AMPosted by Halfatree
Frost mage is the least gear dependent imo

Christ, two stupid people.

Look, all three flavors of Mage have poor base damage and scale well with gear, that is why SimC shows them doing so much more damage in Heroic T14 gear over wearing MoP greens.

In the past the least gear dependent specs were Hunter specs, that led to late game patches that increased Hunter DPS because they scaled so poorly with their gear. In essence you're looking for a class that has poor DPS in Heroic T14 gear but great DPS in MoP greens.

I believe that Ret Paladins and Windwalker Monks are examples of poor scaling with high base damage. Feral Druids have high base damage and really good gear scaling. Balance Druids might be worth looking into as well.
Edited by Sethmann on 12/13/2012 4:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Windwalker has actually been scaling pretty well for the most part. The only real scaling issue comes into play at the end of this tier due to a craptastic mastery, a 4 second channel in the rotation, and decent haste scaling.

I should say though like all melee, WW skyrockets with weapon damage though, like amazingly so from personal exp.
Edited by Kallìk on 12/13/2012 6:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
You're seriously mistaken my friend. I do very well in both frost and arcane with the gear I have on. And I have recently gotten upgrades (I did well before them, mostly in blues). Call me stupid again, I dare you. The fact that you mentioned balance druids as NOT gear dependent, a spec very dependent on crit and a decently high soft haste cap lets me know you have no idea what you're talking about.
Edited by Halfawake on 12/13/2012 6:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
12/13/2012 06:41 AMPosted by Halfawake
You're seriously mistaken my friend. I do very well in both frost and arcane with the gear I have on. And I have recently gotten upgrades (I did well before them, mostly in blues). Call me stupid again, I dare you.

You are stupid. You're wearing half purples, not greens, Mages scale well, but have a low base damage, how was your dps at level 90 wearing all 408 gear?

12/13/2012 06:41 AMPosted by Halfawake
The fact that you mentioned balance druids as NOT gear dependent, a spec very dependent on crit and a decently high soft haste cap lets me know you have no idea what you're talking about.

Balance Druids did very good DPS at level 90 wearing greens...
Edited by Sethmann on 12/13/2012 6:51 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
Bull!@#$, bro. Say it again. And no one is going to wear all 408 gear. Mages are high on the HC sims because they are just plain good, not because of scaling. If you wanna talk about scaling, talk about fire, not frost and arcane. Seriously, facepalm. Blues are the baseline level we are talking about here, and bring up moonkins again, seriously, I play one full time. One of the most gear dependent specs in the game.... one more time, facepalm
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
12/13/2012 06:51 AMPosted by Halfawake
Bull!@#$, bro. Say it again

You're stupid for swearing too.

Blues are the baseline level we are talking about here,

Which blues? The ones out of normal dungeons or Heroics, cause 463 is significantly higher gear level than 408.

Mages are high on the HC sims because they are just plain good, not because of scaling

And you're really stupid if you believe this.
Edited by Sethmann on 12/13/2012 6:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
lol... now you're just trolling :)

way to edit your post. I mean 463 blues. That is baseline to me, it's the easiest gear to get once you hit 90. No one is going to be doing anything worthwhile with 408 gear. And yes, arcane and frost do well with 463 gear. They scale pretty linearly with hc gear, whereas fire scales exponentially due to the cm multiplier. Arcane and frost have nothing like that. Their procs are not based on a secondary stat, only the damage of said procs. Which is also why moonkins are gear dependent.
Edited by Halfawake on 12/13/2012 7:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
All specs are gear very dependent. Some scale better with gear (like fire mages.)

There's a science behind it. For fire mages for example, they scale really well with crit since it's a binary stat (You either crit or you don't crit), they get a modifier to the stat (1.3x), and consecutive crits give you an instant cast ability that hits even harder.

To find out which specs scale better than others you'd have to do three simulations with each class/spec:

1.) Pre-raid gear (exclude LFR)
2.) Normal mode gear
3.) Heroic mode gear
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]