single vs multi target dps

90 Dwarf Death Knight
Ive been playing around with dw instead of 2h for about a week and ive found how awesome it is at multi target dps.

However im not sure if thats what i should really be worried about.

I have a 464 IL , both my dw weapons are 463 and so is my 2h

On single target raid dummy i get roughly 28-31k from both depending on how lucky i get i suppose but thats a fair range for both over several minutes.

However when i run scenarios with dw i average over then entire scenarious between 50-65k usually depending on how much multi target fighting is going on, single target in scenario 35-40.

I'm sure in raids ill do less because they are more heavily armored but i honestly cant see any reason to use 2h if most everything except boss fights are going to be multi target. Thats the only time 2s is better for me and its not even worth mentioning.

Am i doing something wrong or what should i do at this point?

Ive read every guide i can find and every post and asked a ton of questions i just basically need to know how im doing as far as dps vs my IL and in general any other tips or any reason to use 2h or anything (other than it looks so much cooler)
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
I'm still fairly new to WoW(been playing about 3 months, yeah yeah yeah), so please feel free to criticize or add to my suggestions.

For starters, you want to consider reforging to boost your hit and expertise to at least 7.5%. That is the soft cap for those two stats, and will ensure that your attacks are never missed or dodge/parries, which is a huge dps killer.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
Assuming you are frost Dk

single target - get both your diseases up
Obliterate and Frost strike

multi targets- Howling blast and death and decay
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
dont bother looking at my armory it isnt correct.

my hit/exp are at 7.5

im not asking for what to use when and not to be rude but cooler what you posted is not only lacking but appears off from every single other thing i read.

Yes my post was a little long but i was asking more in depth questions that you both just skipped over
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
On single target raid dummy i get roughly 28-31k from both depending on how lucky i get i suppose but thats a fair range for both over several minutes.

However when i run scenarios with dw i average over then entire scenarious between 50-65k usually depending on how much multi target fighting is going on, single target in scenario 35-40.

I'm sure in raids ill do less because they are more heavily armored but i honestly cant see any reason to use 2h if most everything except boss fights are going to be multi target. Thats the only time 2s is better for me and its not even worth mentioning.

If you plan on raiding, I have news for you, boss fights are where your dps really matters. Also, raid bosses and scenarios are two separate beasts. With scenarios, you're basically beating up open-world mobs, so of course you're going to do more damage.

That being said, it all depends on what you feel most comfortable with. I play as 2H because I like seeing my Obliterate crits hit for 200k and up, but a DW player with similar gear would be able to perfom just as well. Oddly enough, even though they're so close in damage, they have fundamentally different playstyles. 2H tends to focus on large burst and hard-hitting melee attacks, since MotFW increases melee damage by 10%. 2H tend to stack as much haste as they can so they can generate runes faster and get more Killing Machine procs for Obliterate crits.

DW doesn't have the large bursts that 2H does, but makes up for it with better frost damage and better AoE. Remember, Rune of the Fallen Crusader doesn't stack, meaning one of those weapons can be used for Rune of Razorice, which increase your target's frost damage taken, making them more susceptible to your Frost Strikes, Howling Blasts, and Frost Fever. Because of this extra runeforge and reliance on Frost Strike over Obliterate, DW DK's tend to stack mastery to increase Frost Strike's damage, which increases Howling Blasts's damage as well.

Really, it all comes down your personal preference and the weapons you've got, and since it sounds like your weapons are at the same ilvl, feel free to pick whichever feels right for you.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
http://www.icy-veins.com/frost-death-knight-wow-pve-dps-rotation-cooldowns-abilities

http://elitistjerks.com/f72/t131138-advanced_frost_priority_tactics/

I found these very helpful as a frost DK, the latter in particular.

Edit: I know you are not asking for "advice" however ones dps is going to berelative to a number of things, particularly gear,stats, and spell rotation. As of now, I average 45-55k on single target(Raid specifically), and anywhere from 85-120k on Mobs(5+.) I know its not much of a comparison, but if you are saying your stats are not up to date, and your rotation is sound, then I do not know what exactly you want us to base our judgement off of.
Edited by Gobblueth on 12/13/2012 8:32 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
Thanks,

Since raids and raid bosses are where id like to be as soon as i get my IL up a little then its single target i should be most concerned with.

I was sure if there was alot of AOE stuff in raids where DW would shine or what.

I've tried queuing for raids but ill set the forever and it will never happen so i do dungeons, scenarios, dailies.

So for my IL is my dps sub-par ? Over 3-5 minutes on the dummy (attacking from the front so i have a worst case scenario since i wont always be able to attack from the rear) I can get roughly 28k-31k , ofcourse that first minute i can pop everything and burst up higher but i tend to test without doing that so i can again get a worst case.

I've read everything i can and keep trying to get better at my rotation but personally it seems low but i dont know what ot expect really.

EDIT: My IL is right but my stats on the armory dont match my ingame stats, idk what but they are off for some reason.

hit 7.65 in game but everything else looks right i believe
Edited by Aarondk on 12/13/2012 8:39 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Difference between the two, 2h is bursts of great damage (more constant burst then some classes to be honest *cough arms warrior cough*) while dw is steady good damage. When DW you won't actually see the full damage you hit with oblit and frost strike because you never get to see your off hand attack.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
If you are just concerned about PVE, then those numbers are perfectly fine. Like Karaahi mentioned above, however that will not be a reflection of your damage in Raids. Honestly, the best way to do better in raids it to do them. Even if your stats are "sub-par" at first, having survivability and knowing what your doing will make you more of an asset than someone with higher dps but keeps dying. Not to mention raid drops are very nice :p
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Your single target and aoe rotations are so similar that it doesn't matter which you're "worried about"...

Realistically, for DW your single and aoe rotations are identical. For 2H, you just swap from obliterate to spamming howling blast (and D&D/PS with your unholy runes) with all F/Ds.

Both do about the same AOE dps, and the AOE rotation is identical and there is no real ramp up time.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight

Both do about the same AOE dps, and the AOE rotation is identical and there is no real ramp up time.

incorrect. anything with multi target dw pill pull ahead. heavier mastery + razorice runeforge puts dw ahead regardless of rotation similarities for aoe
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight

incorrect. anything with multi target dw pill pull ahead. heavier mastery + razorice runeforge puts dw ahead regardless of rotation similarities for aoe

hmm dunno bout that NOT a HUGE Difference Between the 2 in Aoe situations

Unless ur Tab targeting like a mad man Razorice has little to No impact on Aoe such to the extent that you are saying

Haven t seen a Dw dk yet that has Blown away a 2h Dk of equivalent Ilevel ON aoe nor single target.. well nothing to Right home about ....... ..

@Op your Dps will improve with gear and Practice Aoe and Single target... tbh Ive seen worse in raids with better gear :P
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]