What's the 'easiest' healer right now?

90 Pandaren Monk
Back in Wrath, I had a Disc healer that I loved. Near the end, I stopped playing her, and didn't heal at all in Cata. Now in MoP I gave monk healing a shot. Up until Cata it was really easy. Great heals, and no mana issues. A few instances I ran in Cata gave me some trouble, no one died, but I think I was to under geared for them at the time. My heals didn't feel like they were hitting hard enough, and I felt like I was constantly low on Mana. Now at 90, I have the same feelings. I know I'm not in great gear, I'm in PvP blue's that I reforged into spirit cause they have none on their own. I know my spirit is still way low, but as it stands, I really can't bring my self to instance enough to get better gear.

I did a guild run of heroic Scholo last night, and while no one died, I had to struggle to keep everyone up, and was ready to OOM at any time. If I didn't carefully manage my mana, chi, and tea, I would have OOM'ed every other fight. I know a big part of my issue is gear, and part of it is just me. (I came up as DPS in Wrath, DPS'ed through cata, and my first 90 was a mage. I'm not as experienced at healing as I am at DPS.)

That being said though, there's got to be a healer that has it easier then monks right now. Something with better heals, and easier on mana. I was thinking about Druid, but after checking the forums, I'm thinking that's a bad idea. I also could use something that has good single target heals that don't cost half your mana. Hots, and channeled spells, feel like they don't heal to great when there's a lot of damage coming in. When the tank takes a few big hits and drops to 35% HP and all I have is Soothing Mist, and one HoT cause I have no chi, its hard to get him back up. After all, what does a 6K healing tick from SM do on a tank with 400K HP who's getting hit for 20K a shot?

So...Any advice? x.x
Reply Quote
There isn't going to be a easy healer when you only have 2.6k spirit. You probably will have the same mana problems when your spirit is that low. I'm not too knowledgeable about monks, but 2.6k spirit is extremely low for any healer to deal with.
If you have gold to spend and you want a big improvement, you can always grab the darkmoon faire trinket.
Also, you can easily make the spirit potion/flasks and simply use them. As a alchemist even the spirit potion you can make can add nearly 1k spirit with the added fact of being rather cheap, if you want to keep it cheap I highly recommend doing this. Flasks are good if you have the gold to spend for the extra 500-600 spirit.
As well as make/buy the spirit food, that would give you around 250-300 extra spirit as well if you are willing to spend the cash/tokens for the mats.
And reforge any more gear you haven't reforge already to spirit.
The only way you can go is up, you are in a pretty bad spot as a healer, but the only way to get out is dungeons.
Edited by Trollinhobo on 12/13/2012 12:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
That's very true. I replaced my old green quest gear with this stuff figuring that, after reforging into spirit, the drop I would take to spirit would even out since spells would be stronger due to more Int and SP. Guess it doesn't really work like that. There are currently no cards on the AH, the only trinket I could use is about 14K. After making elixirs and buying some food, and reforging what I have, my spirit went up to 4.6K.

I know I have a Leather Passive which increases my Int by 5% while wearing all leather, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't buy blue cloth right now. Contenders Satin Cowl alone gives me 466 more spirit then my current helm does. I would lose the 5% to Int, but I could gain a lot more spirit if I wore cloth right now.
Reply Quote
Priests are the best healer right now, and monks don't need spirit to heal.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Priests are the best.. Shamans close second...
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Honestly of the three I have had experience with (priest, paladin, shaman), I have felt pretty good with regards to mana on all of them so go with any of them. Druids I won't comment on and monks, no idea.

If you want good single target heals, go with paladin or shaman.

Not really sure what everyone else is posting about.

but really, the 2.6k spirit might be the issue. that is around the number I started heroics with and even then I didn't have issues... but again i am not sure about monks.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
What spec of priest is leading right now? Back when I got into healing on mine, Holy was OMFG bad on mana, and Disc was great for blocking, healing, and mana management. I tried a shammy before the MoP patch hit in Cata, and really enjoyed the low level healing, around 35 or so. I'm sure at higher levels it would be even better with more spells. I'm not sure what's changed for them since though. I think what I enjoyed most about it at the time was having a fast cast, single target, low mana healing spell. It wasn't just 'toss out a HoT, and cast a channeling spell. /sleep' you could actually keep casting healing spells. It give me something to do without feeling like I was falling behind on keeping everyone up like I do now.

What's pally healing like? I have a 40 pally specced into healing, and last I was on her, I remember only having one or two healing spells, both with CD's. Or something like that. I haven't been on her in at least a month though.

Any idea's about swapping out leather for cloth as I mentioned earlier?
Reply Quote
What spec of priest is leading right now? Back when I got into healing on mine, Holy was OMFG bad on mana, and Disc was great for blocking, healing, and mana management. I tried a shammy before the MoP patch hit in Cata, and really enjoyed the low level healing, around 35 or so. I'm sure at higher levels it would be even better with more spells. I'm not sure what's changed for them since though. I think what I enjoyed most about it at the time was having a fast cast, single target, low mana healing spell. It wasn't just 'toss out a HoT, and cast a channeling spell. /sleep' you could actually keep casting healing spells. It give me something to do without feeling like I was falling behind on keeping everyone up like I do now.

What's pally healing like? I have a 40 pally specced into healing, and last I was on her, I remember only having one or two healing spells, both with CD's. Or something like that. I haven't been on her in at least a month though.

Any idea's about swapping out leather for cloth as I mentioned earlier?

as a monk healer - you DON'T need spirit (actually probably just like 3k spirit is fine)

disc priest = overpowered as hell.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Then I must be doing something wrong, because i'm having serious issues where I'm at. Using chi for mana Tea, and using that to restore mana, just doesn't keep me up on mana.
Reply Quote
12/13/2012 02:10 PMPosted by Laio
Then I must be doing something wrong, because i'm having serious issues where I'm at. Using chi for mana Tea, and using that to restore mana, just doesn't keep me up on mana.

Just use soothing mists - RM on cd. Tea when available. Spend chi on whatever, you should be fine on mana.

SCK costs too much

Jab is good if you are in a hurry, but meleeing sucks.(tiger palm /blackout kick is not worth it).

Expel harm is also good.

Surging mists - do not use this thing ever.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I use a healing add-on, and all I have attached to it to get through an instance with is Soothing Mists, RM, Enveloping Mists when I have the Chi, and that's about it. Surging is there for my "Oh fack" moments, and Life Cocoon when someone is about to die. Those were the only things I used in Scholo last night, and I still had a really hard time. And it wasn't the group, I went with my guildmates, who are all great players, and well geared.

Maybe I'll try another heroic with Uplift off the glyph (so its back to chi to use, not mana) and with my Mana Tea glyph's so its an instant pop at 2 stacks, and I'll try to remember to use it every time I'm at 2. Another of my issues was having 20 stacks of Tea in the middle of a pull, and being nearly OOM, but I couldn't sit there and drink or else my group would die.

Edit: Should I change out of Invoke Xuen, and into Chi Torpedo for the free healing?
Edited by Laio on 12/13/2012 2:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
I use a healing add-on, and all I have attached to it to get through an instance with is Soothing Mists, RM, Enveloping Mists when I have the Chi, and that's about it. Surging is there for my "Oh fack" moments, and Life Cocoon when someone is about to die. Those were the only things I used in Scholo last night, and I still had a really hard time. And it wasn't the group, I went with my guildmates, who are all great players, and well geared.

Maybe I'll try another heroic with Uplift off the glyph (so its back to chi to use, not mana) and with my Mana Tea glyph's so its an instant pop at 2 stacks, and I'll try to remember to use it every time I'm at 2. Another of my issues was having 20 stacks of Tea in the middle of a pull, and being nearly OOM, but I couldn't sit there and drink or else my group would die.

Edit: Should I change out of Invoke Xuen, and into Chi Torpedo for the free healing?

Never use surging mist, given healing sphere is always better than surging. Also don't glyph uplift.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I thought we really didn't use Healing Sphere since its our version of a Lightwell? (Something that no one uses) though I guess you can always pop a sphere right at someone if they're standing still.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Don't read into the hype about disc priests being mind-blowingly overpowered. They can absorb/atonement snipe on fights with little outgoing damage, but will always struggle to bring someone back from low health (in context, anyone sub 50% hp).

I'd stick with your class until you get more spirit before FotM rerolling.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
12/13/2012 02:04 PMPosted by Flutterdash
as a monk healer - you DON'T need spirit (actually probably just like 3k spirit is fine)

Can i ask what sort of numbers you do on fights with high raid damage then (ie garalon/tsulong)? I have never seen a monk do any respectable throughput with that low of spirit. With the hotfix after 5.1 its recommended for monks to be on at LEAST 9k spirit, which can go up to even the 12k range.

I find it very hard to believe you manage with such low spirit
Reply Quote

Can i ask what sort of numbers you do on fights with high raid damage then (ie garalon/tsulong)? I have never seen a monk do any respectable throughput with that low of spirit. With the hotfix after 5.1 its recommended for monks to be on at LEAST 9k spirit, which can go up to even the 12k range.

I find it very hard to believe you manage with such low spirit

Haven't done an actual raid yet with my new gemming set up, however, I did manage to do 105k in LFR (I know lfr), on tsulong. Last week's raid I was gemmed haste in every slot, did 102k on tsulong / 60.5k garalon (3 healed).

Things I've tried since 5.1 hotfixes -

Gemming spirit / socket bonus - Total failure
Gemming crit / socket bonus- it was okay I guess
Gemming complete haste - it was okay. (about 13k haste rating in serpent stance)
Gemming int / socket bonus + reforging out of all spirit hopefully an improvement.
Edited by Flutterdash on 12/13/2012 5:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
The answer to the easiest healer is actually incredibly simple;

The one your used to and most comfortable with. This is undeniably true. Some may be more complicated, but the easiest is the one you're most familar with.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid

Haven't done an actual raid yet with my new gemming set up, however, I did manage to do 105k in LFR (I know lfr), on tsulong.

I've seen 160k + on tsulong lfr... That's a dumb fight to gague healing. It's litterally the Ultraxion fight for healers in mists. You throw the numbers right out the window and forget they ever happened.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
So yeah Flutter you are still doing mid-low range parses. I believe if you try to stack spirit you will be able to do much better throughput and not just rely on soothing mist for chi generation. granted you will have to alter your playstyle a bit but in the long run you will notice a big difference (theres a reason all the top monks are running with high spirit).
Reply Quote
12/13/2012 05:21 PMPosted by Jezbro
So yeah Flutter you are still doing mid-low range parses. I believe if you try to stack spirit you will be able to do much better throughput and not just rely on soothing mist for chi generation. granted you will have to alter your playstyle a bit but in the long run you will notice a big difference (theres a reason all the top monks are running with high spirit).
I believe I can jab even with low spirit given jab per chi = 9k (thankfully they haven't hotfixed it), vs soothing mists per chi = 9342 on average.

At such high spirit, I have a question - what do you spend mana on? The only thing I can think of is surging mists so you don't need to use clunky healing spheres
Edited by Flutterdash on 12/13/2012 5:42 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]