What's the 'easiest' healer right now?

90 Blood Elf Priest
Blizzard Balance
Disc priest hotfixes:
PoH now only targets 4 targets, prioritizing pets before players.
Rapture has a chance equal to your crit chance to generate double mana on return
The cost of all spells have been increased by 10%

2 days later
The mana costs of all spells have been increased by 30%.

They did royally screw monks up... I prefer having them top meters. At least then they seem more useful to the raid (utility is bad for monks. and i do know they can keep up with other healers. the question is, without unique utility[or utility of any significant sort], is it considered a wise choice to bring a monk and bench another healer?[with equal skill levels and gear, of course])
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Even though its a pretty weak argument, in 10 mans TFT is pretty strong on a 45 second CD, shorter than spirit shell, so we can provide good burst healing on a slightly shorter CD compared to disc. The Extra damage we bring is nice and can help with enrage timers or getting adds down, and we're less prone to raid wiping mechanics becuase we are considered melee.

Maybe replace an Hpriest or Resto Druid, and maybe even shaman on spread fights, but definitely not replacing disc or hpallies for now.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Even though its a pretty weak argument, in 10 mans TFT is pretty strong on a 45 second CD, shorter than spirit shell, so we can provide good burst healing on a slightly shorter CD compared to disc. The Extra damage we bring is nice and can help with enrage timers or getting adds down, and we're less prone to raid wiping mechanics becuase we are considered melee.

Maybe replace an Hpriest or Resto Druid, and maybe even shaman on spread fights, but definitely not replacing disc or hpallies for now.

TFT does suffer from the weakness that RM won't necessarily be on the targets that need healing. (due to the infuriating inclination it has to jump to a person multiple times) but with RNG in your favor, i can see it being rather powerful. Especially with glyphed uplift/jabbing for fast chi.
Reply Quote
Blizzard Balance
Disc priest hotfixes:
PoH now only targets 4 targets, prioritizing pets before players.
Rapture has a chance equal to your crit chance to generate double mana on return
The cost of all spells have been increased by 10%

2 days later
The mana costs of all spells have been increased by 30%.

They did royally screw monks up... I prefer having them top meters. At least then they seem more useful to the raid (utility is bad for monks. and i do know they can keep up with other healers. the question is, without unique utility[or utility of any significant sort], is it considered a wise choice to bring a monk and bench another healer?[with equal skill levels and gear, of course])

Nope, every healer of equal gear is better plus there's several reports of people swapping to alts with vastly inferior gear. Even if monks can keep up with other healers, they can't compete due to lack of utility and lack of control of who gets healed.
Edited by Flutterdash on 12/16/2012 11:00 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk

TFT does suffer from the weakness that RM won't necessarily be on the targets that need healing. (due to the infuriating inclination it has to jump to a person multiple times) but with RNG in your favor, i can see it being rather powerful. Especially with glyphed uplift/jabbing for fast chi.

It's all about planning, one typical TFT scenario for burst (shekzeer for example)-

When RM is up on 7 (generally 6 ticking and a fresh one just cast) targets, and roughly 10 seconds before a field explosion, cast TFT
Cast RM on someone that does not have it
Build Chi
If bad RNG screws you over, congrats, you have an extra RM to use before the incoming damage.
With ascension and being a belf I can get 3 back to back uplifts using arcane torrent, which is roughly 100k worth of healing in 3 gcds, which quite respectable in any raid situation.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/16/2012 11:07 AMPosted by Kungfuwaifu
If bad RNG screws you over, congrats, you have an extra RM to use before the incoming damage.

Pretty much. The issue is when SEVERAL in a row screw you over because your toon's personal gods hate you.(our 2 monks have this issue sooooooo often it's scary)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
That's when you coordinate with your other healers to rotate CDs, or tell everyone to stack up and start using chi burst.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/16/2012 11:13 AMPosted by Kungfuwaifu
That's when you coordinate with your other healers to rotate CDs, or tell everyone to stack up and start using chi burst.

While doable, it's not optimal, so you can see where i'm coming from. It all boils down to if you don't play perfectly or if RNG screws you, you have to lean on the other healers. As any other class (except maybe druid) you'd have the tools to help out yourself a lot more easily than as a monk.

That being said, monks are still viable, if harder to master. They could use some tweaks (mechanics, toning numbers down or raising numbers) just like every body else (except maybe paladins cus honestly i don't see much wrong with them atm)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Pretty much, but most people like to look at things in a vacuum where monk weaknesses are blatantly obvious. They are still pretty obvious in 2healed fights, such as the lack of a mana efficient, targetable spot heal (this excludes spheres), but in 3 healed fights it generally tends not to be an issue. As for actual Raid CDs... yea we need some help there.

So yes we're viable only if you want to work harder than everyone else to do the same or slightly more HPM, which I personally am perfectly fine with (that was the main reason i played a lock during cata, pet twisting anyone? :3)
Reply Quote
That being said, monks are still viable, if harder to master.
Depends on your definition of viable I suppose. It is definitely possible to heal everything on a monk, but does that make them viable?

They are still pretty obvious in 2healed fights, such as the lack of a mana efficient, targetable spot heal (this excludes spheres),
Oh how I hate healing sphere, and any raid boss that I need to use them on.

At minimum I'd say : glyph to remove healing sphere to be placed preemptively, and able to be used as a targeted heal,

and maybe 5% more chance for chi on soothing mists. That should bring us up to par.

So back to 35% chance for chi with sm, instead of 30%.
Edited by Flutterdash on 12/16/2012 11:32 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Viable: Capable of working successfully; feasible
We can succesfully down bosses, but it is far from being optimal.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

Yup. Same issue as resto druids have currently. They're okay but... why?
Reply Quote

Viable to me : A reason not to outright replace this class with another class (loot concerns included).

So basically, it comes down to monk vs druid. But in terms of performance, I think disc priests / holy paladins / resto shaman are best (disc synergy with resto specifically).

I don't think the act of downing bosses is enough to justify a raid spot given you'd have an easier time with another healer of equal gear.
Yup. Same issue as resto druids have currently. They're okay but... why?

My view of resto druid vs monks : Resto druids don't rely on RNG but have slightly lower output + can single target heal without resorting to clunky spells (CURSE YOU HEALING SPHERE). That's worth the trade off, plus many people favor tranq over revival (I think I prefer revival myself).
Edited by Flutterdash on 12/16/2012 11:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
My view of resto druid vs monks : Resto druids don't rely on RNG but have slightly lower output + can single target heal without resorting to clunky spells (CURSE YOU HEALING SPHERE). That's worth the trade off, plus many people favor tranq over revival (I think I prefer revival myself).

I currently would much rather bring a druid to tank heal than a monk. Unfortunately our group 2 is hogging all the druids. TT.TT

And revival in and of itself isn't bad. It's just not as good as the alternatives. Look at tranq, it can start channeling just before predictable damage hits and work during the damage. Revival is best used after the damage hits, and can easily be sniped due to it's raid wide effect (even on members that may already be at full health from whatever burst heal)
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
12/16/2012 11:53 AMPosted by Keirisonis
And revival in and of itself isn't bad. It's just not as good as the alternatives.

It beats out every other throughput CD for total healing, by significant margins.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/16/2012 11:54 AMPosted by Anarri
It beats out every other throughput CD for total healing, by significant margins

Assuming no overheal and discounting the fact that it has to be used AFTER a big damage ability, whereas many others can run during or just before it, then yes, it is better. But when it overheals significantly on more than 1 person, it isn't as good.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
12/16/2012 12:11 PMPosted by Keirisonis
whereas many others can run during or just before it

No throughput CD actually benefits from this, as they all deliver healing after damage is dealt.

And you have to keep in mind that DH and Tranq suffer an 8 second channel, whereas Revival is a single GCD. DH and Tranq will never compete with Revival because of this, the baseline throughput is alread so much higher.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/16/2012 04:52 PMPosted by Anarri
whereas many others can run during or just before it

No throughput CD actually benefits from this, as they all deliver healing after damage is dealt.

And you have to keep in mind that DH and Tranq suffer an 8 second channel, whereas Revival is a single GCD. DH and Tranq will never compete with Revival because of this, the baseline throughput is alread so much higher.

What i mean is that say on FnV on vizier, if you pop revival right at the beginning of it, it's not going to help buffer people during it. Tranq can be channeled from the start of FnV, as can divine hymn. You HAVE to wait till the middle of the boss's channel to pop revival just to make sure everyone is damaged enough for it to not overheal.

This leads to a lot more deaths than if someone else was channeling a different raid cd. Yes, it may be stronger. In hps, it definitely is. But it is a lot more clunky than any other throughput cd and requires pin point timing to be used perfectly, without wasting part of it.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
12/16/2012 05:00 PMPosted by Keirisonis
This leads to a lot more deaths than if someone else was channeling a different raid cd.

Ah, but it doesn't, because you can drop Revival into your AoE rotation without skipping a beat.

I'll admit, it's somewhat clunky, and if it did around the same total healing as HTT it would obviously be far inferior. But given that the baseline healing is so high, I don't hesitate in calling it the strongest throughput CD of the four.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
It's great for Huge, single AOE hits such as

Garalon's Crush
Shekzeer's Dissonance Fields
Blade Lord's Unseen Strikes
Someone failing to interrupt Amber Explosion

It's bad for pulsing AOE damage though, like FnV the like
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]