Tag sharing on World Bosses: exploit or OK?

(Locked)

90 Human Paladin
I can't believe I have to ask this, but.... is tag sharing exploiting?

Because this GM seems to think it is: http://i.imgur.com/PBiVu.jpg

Which makes me question whether he has ever logged onto a fairly busy realm when Galleon spawns. Tag sharing is not only prevalent but is pretty much good manners. If you don't tag share, you are a jerk. We have at least one thread even devoted to it on our realm forums. Galleon seems to be designed to encourage this. Or so I thought.

Blizzard, you should really weigh in on this. Is tag sharing exploiting?

If you mean to make tag sharing impossible then quite frankly you need to design a better world boss. Galleon is absolutely a joke. If you really intend to make it so that ONLY ONE 25 man team can pull Galleon, then design a boss which requires organization and which will wipe a poorly organized group. Otherwise all you will do by preventing tag sharing is cause unnecessary drama and unhappiness.

I realize Galleon is old news, but this is important for future world bosses (and I am sure we will have more). Please clarify. Thank you.
Edited by Anafielle on 12/11/2012 3:40 PM PST
85 Blood Elf Mage
I honestly think Galleon was put into the game solely to remind people how horrible an idea World Bosses actually are :)
90 Human Paladin
12/11/2012 03:41 PMPosted by Saturn
Working as intended?

Of course tag sharing works. The problem is that the GM is calling it an exploit.
90 Orc Death Knight
If blizz doesn't want it to work, they need to fix it.

However, I don't see the issue here.
84 Human Hunter
That's messed up. I really hope it's just an uninformed GM and and a cute Nery :P
90 Night Elf Druid
Regardless of what you think about world bosses or galleon in particular if more than one raid group is getting loot that is in a fact a bug. Intentionally using a bug to get around game design is an exploit and can result in account action. So yes it should be fixed but that's not an excuse to use it till it is.
90 Human Monk
12/11/2012 03:44 PMPosted by Chumps
That's messed up. I really hope it's just an uninformed GM and and a cute Nery :P

And a cute Pj!
90 Human Paladin
aus
At some point a month ago, gm's started saying tag sharing is an exploit. /shrug.
90 Orc Warrior
I actually thought blizz put this in the game to help out with Galleon/ Sha.. sounds like a good idea to me so other groups can get around to killing them also, faster.
Edited by Gancsta on 12/11/2012 3:52 PM PST
90 Pandaren Monk
If Tag sharing was such an exploit they would of fixed it long ago, also they would have made these to indoor raid bosses.

I am putting my money on uninformed GM's
90 Human Paladin
12/11/2012 03:48 PMPosted by Ziryus
Regardless of what you think about world bosses or galleon in particular if more than one raid group is getting loot that is in a fact a bug. Intentionally using a bug to get around game design is an exploit and can result in account action. So yes it should be fixed but that's not an excuse to use it till it is.

I can understand this argument, and you are probably right. In fact I would prefer that it was either prevented or written into the game.

Here are my two suggestions for fixing World Bosses:

Option 1: Keep the boss easy.... but give everyone who contributes to the fight a chance at loot, even if it is more than 25 people.

In a world boss situation you might argue that more than 25 contribute. This is certainly the case when my realm has Galleon spawn. Perhaps a world boss should give loot to EVERYONE who has contributed to the fight. This avoids unnecessarily punishing people who were not lucky enough to get the spawn.

One thing another recent MMO really did right was encourage you to play with other players in your zone instead of nastily competing for spawns. Galleon is the most extreme example of this; he is about as hard to kill as it is to click a mining node. It really sucks to punsih players who just didn't have that millisecond luck on their AOE, and to basically give free loot to those who did. This is a terrible solution overall, and one that realms like mine have solved by sharing happily to everyone who is there.

If Blizzard wants to make world bosses this easy, if you are going to make the boss a pinata, please let all the children play nice together. We have been sharing our candy like good kids. If the boss is this easy, then give us all the reward. That is really the only way it should work.

Option 2: Make the world boss hard. Prevent tag sharing

OK, loot is a reward and only those 25 deserve it. I understand that is why tag sharing is an exploit. Well, that only works if you make it MEAN something!

I'm not asking for a heroic fight here. I mean that he should be tuned about like Stone Guard or Feng 25 Normal. He should be able to wipe a 25 man group that is not organized. If you put together a trade pug, you should all get on vent, and you should organize before you pull! And if you wipe, well, another group gets a shot! Too bad!

Make him a challenge. Then I will understand tag sharing being an exploit and I will hope that it is gone.
Edited by Anafielle on 12/11/2012 4:03 PM PST
90 Night Elf Druid

Tag sharing has existed since Vanilla, it only became big now due to how world boss loot works.

It wasn't harming anyone to do it. Hell, if you'll make people accountable for that, might as well ban a good part of Whisperwind since it was kinda of a huge thing there, and it united server community like nothing in years.

If blizzard wanted it to work that way they would have set it up like they've done for various rare quest mobs. It should be pretty obvious that a mob that can go grey that you have to do something to share the tag is not working as intended.

Keep in mind I'm not disagreeing it would be a lot more straight forward if they did that for world bosses but no it is a bug right now and your account can be actioned.
Edited by Ziryus on 12/11/2012 4:08 PM PST
90 Human Paladin
If Tag sharing was such an exploit they would of fixed it long ago, also they would have made these to indoor raid bosses.

I am putting my money on uninformed GM's

Yeah my money is on that too. Not only is it just how Galleon works.... Many realms like mine happily ORGANIZE tag sharing on our forums! Somehow I think if it was an exploit, we would have known before now :)
90 Worgen Druid
Am I missing something? I haven't killed Galleon, but I was under the impression that he was 40-mannable, like Sha and other world bosses, and not restricted to 25-man. Since raid groups can have 40 people, right?
90 Gnome Mage
Pretty much I think if you help kill it you get to share in the spoils even if you don't belong to the same faction.
90 Draenei Warrior
12/11/2012 04:20 PMPosted by Marciustur
Am I missing something? I haven't killed Galleon, but I was under the impression that he was 40-mannable, like Sha and other world bosses, and not restricted to 25-man. Since raid groups can have 40 people, right?

Yes. This thread has to do with the concept of 'tag sharing.' 'Tag sharing' occurs when a player who is in the original group, drops group to create his or her own group. Therefore sharing the tag with the new group. When the boss dies, everyone gets loot, not just the original 40.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]