Paladin Tanking compared to DK tanking

90 Goblin Rogue
So I am currently leveling a DK to tank for my guild when we have a problem finding a tank(they all keep quitting for stupid reasons). Now I have never tanked with a DK only ever on my pally since BC days and some LK but not since then.

Currently leveling DK and I find the lack of on demand threat compared to paladin something that takes getting use to. I do like the AoE aspect but it seems if another mob joins the fray late after I use Pestilence then my threat on that target is next to none outside of DnD which is kinda annoying.

I realize I'm only 75 on my DK and a lot changes in 15 levels when I get the rest of my nifty abilities but I want to know from some fellow Paladins who turned in their wings of light for wings of blood what they feel about DK as a tank compared to their paladin counterparts.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
For regular instances and heroics I take Rolling Blood. It casts pestilence every time you use blood boil. So any new mob automatically has your diseases on it.

We also have two taunts. Death's Grip and Dark Command.

So while we don't have ultra nice moves like the Shield and Hammer, our tool kit is nicely designed.

Basically, just spam blood boil and take rolling blood for AoEing in dungeons.
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
When you have to tank constantly spawning adds, grabbing initial aggro can be tough, if u pestilence it will take 3 seconds for the diseases to tick, more than enough time for a healer to take aggro.

As far as this situation of spawning adds go we are possibly the worst tanks. But just because on fights like this (the one that comes to mind is adds in 3rd phase elegon) we aren't as good as other tanks at grabbing that aggro, isn't a good enough reason to not play a blood DK. IMO Blood DK's are one of the best tanks atm and it's a really fun playstyle. Also if you want to solo content there is no competition. Blood DK's are in an excellent place and healers on my raid team have commented that I'm really easy to heal.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue
Does it cast pestilence then blood boil in that order or will new adds just be debuffed upon hitting blood boil and then 2nd activation of blood boil needed to hit them with damage?

I'm still kinda new with all this DK stuff. Only able to play a bit here and there outside of RL things and raiding on my rogue.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Apart from Monks, DK's have the best threat gen both single-target and AoE, including the tools to generate it.

Does it cast pestilence then blood boil in that order or will new adds just be debuffed upon hitting blood boil and then 2nd activation of blood boil needed to hit them with damage?

Put diseases up on your primary target, once both are up then start spamming Blood Boil, pestilence will spread automatically. You don't even need it on your actionbars anymore unless you plan to DRW + Pestilence which is an added bonus.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight

I'm still kinda new with all this DK stuff. Only able to play a bit here and there outside of RL things and raiding on my rogue.

Roiling Blood will hit with blood boil, and pestilence, everytime. If I understand what you are asking correctly, if a new mob enters the pack you are currently working on, you blood boil, they get:

1. Hit by blood boil
2. Debuffed
3. Diseased

On demand threat shouldn't be an issue after you get outbreak. Your aoe pulls will be something like:

DnD
Outbreak
Blood Boil

If there are threat issues after doing that in blood presence, be thankful you have someone dpsing correctly (provided they are not in a threat producing stance/presence) and taunt/death grip the mobs being peeled from your pack.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Death Knight
I think DK tanking takes a little bit of planning. Pallies can face roll everything. The good thing is if you lose threat and the healer dies you can keep yourself up with your own healing.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Warrior
Tanking, with any class, is pretty easy now. I have a tank of every class at max level, but played my warrior the most through the game's life.

I think you're a little confused. This is how DK tanking works:

Lead off with Frost Fever.

Use Plague Strike

Once both of those diseases are up, use Pestilence to spread those DoT's to all the other mobs in the pack. (Replace the above two steps with Outbreak when you get it)

Blood Boil,

Death Strike to get death runes

Spam Blood Boil.

HOWEVER....

The Rolling Blood talent is mostly a quality of life talent. It makes Blood Boil itself spread your already-rolling diseases to other mobs, removing the need for Pestilence entirely. So you can pretty much just

Frost Fever>Plague Strike>Blood Boil.

Rolling Blood is a godsend for 5-mans. Especially if your group's pulling for you, because it frees up the Blood Rune you'd use for Pestilence for a second Blood Boil.

Edit: I should note however that spreading diseases to new mobs requires you to have an already infected mob already on you. Pestilence and Rolling Blood are based on the unaffected mob's distance to other infected mobs, NOT the mob's distance to YOU. Meaning you can't stun a pack, run to the next pack, and just spam Blood Boil/Pestilence and expect it to work, at least one infected mob needs to be right there with you.
Edited by Stoneblade on 12/13/2012 9:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Tanking, with any class, is pretty easy now. I have a tank of every class at max level, but played my warrior the most through the game's life.

I think you're a little confused. This is how DK tanking works:

Lead off with Frost Fever.

Use Plague Strike

Once both of those diseases are up, use Pestilence to spread those DoT's to all the other mobs in the pack. (Replace the above two steps with Outbreak when you get it)

Blood Boil,

Death Strike to get death runes

Spam Blood Boil.

HOWEVER....

The Rolling Blood talent is mostly a quality of life talent. It makes Blood Boil itself spread your already-rolling diseases to other mobs, removing the need for Pestilence entirely. So you can pretty much just

Frost Fever>Plague Strike>Blood Boil.

Rolling Blood is a godsend for 5-mans. Especially if your group's pulling for you, because it frees up the Blood Rune you'd use for Pestilence for a second Blood Boil.

Edit: I should note however that spreading diseases to new mobs requires you to have an already infected mob already on you. Pestilence and Rolling Blood are based on the unaffected mob's distance to other infected mobs, NOT the mob's distance to YOU. Meaning you can't stun a pack, run to the next pack, and just spam Blood Boil/Pestilence and expect it to work, at least one infected mob needs to be right there with you.

Outbreak save a global :P for DS or BB
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]