/sigh Rare Hunters... That's not cool bro...

90 Orc Hunter
...and again, the thread blames the players rather than the game. It's not any player's fault if there aren't enough spawns, it's the game's fault for not providing them. It's no different than the utter lack of mining nodes in Outland due to CRZ - if you can't find fel iron, it's not the fault of the player who managed to find a node before you did, it's Blizzard's fault for not providing enough nodes.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
12/12/2012 09:27 AMPosted by Ryxl
...and again, the thread blames the players rather than the game. It's not any player's fault if there aren't enough spawns, it's the game's fault for not providing them. It's no different than the utter lack of mining nodes in Outland due to CRZ - if you can't find fel iron, it's not the fault of the player who managed to find a node before you did, it's Blizzard's fault for not providing enough nodes.
Nice sentiment, but some things are intentionally rare.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
The miniferal there was a guy camping the spawn. He flew down and landed once and I saw this or maybe I tricked myself into seeing this cause I had been there for over an hour just running around the area killing all mobs in sight. He landed and he had a rare miniferal ALREADY! I saw this but then maybe I didn't cause he only very briefly flew to the ground. It kinda made me mad. Why, if he already had one and a rare on top of that, would he be camping the spawning area?

Probably just griefing the other ppl trying to get theirs. That sickens me and it isn't fair to anyone.

The only thing I could think of is maybe he was trying to get one with a possibly better stat combo?
Reply Quote
91 Draenei Priest
It's not like the "Log out to reset the fight" thing isn't wide spread

I doubt any rare farmer would use this method. In the time it takes to log on and off - something nearby could've spawned with someone else taking it.

And if I let you have a spawn and you get a rare and leave. I'm stuck there still searching for a rare. So, who lost here?

outside of the twenty second log out time?

No. And I might add that the log out method isn't 100% effective. I've done it just recently on a rare Giraffe I killed and it despawned when I logged back on.

I just don't understand the mindset of "Despawn everything!"

It's not rocket science.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
12/12/2012 09:29 AMPosted by Krystle
Nice sentiment, but some things are intentionally rare.

I am aware of that, and I'm not advocating fields of trillium and golden lotus nodes. However, unlike the more rarely-spawning ores and herbs, wild battle pets don't impact the economy or the end game, and I don't agree with the decision to make some pets hard enough to find that it seems like an impossible task.
Reply Quote
91 Draenei Priest
Ryxi - aren't you the gal who'd rather have all pets lined up in front of you in Ogrimmar for you to capture with zero hunting effort? It's supposed to be casual, so it should just be free - right?

My apologies if I got the wrong female hunter.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
rare quality pets should be just that: rare. but pets themselves should not be that scarce. they shouldnt be as abundant as roaches and bunnies but they shouldnt be as elusive as they are.

this is coming from somebody with every wild pet available (except the sumprush rodent but i been lazy there with dailies, and qiraji guardling who doesnt exist yet) an slowly making them all rare quality through farming/camping.

i did the minfernal camp. i got lucky and it didnt take THAT long.
Edited by Trollinthndr on 12/12/2012 10:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
I disagree simply because some inconvenience is good.

Minfernal is that one raised nail on the deck that gives us all something to !@#$% about, to brag about, to write guides about, to screen cap, explain, petition, and generally come together around. Nothing solidifies a community quite as well as having something to complain about.

The fact that there's only a tiny sliver of pets that fall into this category is a good thing, because it means the system as a whole still functions, while the few rough edges get people to initiate contact with each other. How many people came to this forum specifically because of the Minfernal?
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
I disagree simply because some inconvenience is good.

Minfernal is that one raised nail on the deck that gives us all something to !@#$% about, to brag about, to write guides about, to screen cap, explain, petition, and generally come together around. Nothing solidifies a community quite as well as having something to complain about.

The fact that there's only a tiny sliver of pets that fall into this category is a good thing, because it means the system as a whole still functions, while the few rough edges get people to initiate contact with each other. How many people came to this forum specifically because of the Minfernal?

Inconvenience, sure but getting a minifernal is maddening to the point where I am like why even bother. I mean every time I go there its camped by multiple ppl. All on mounts stationed in spots. I just run around killing all the mobs I see.

Why do they make some pet spawns lottery lucky? Why do they feel the need to make them that way? I Made a post awhile back asking that question.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
Everything pet wise I have got now I haven't invested hardly any gold whatsoever. I guess to push it up to that 400 and beyond mark I got to start hitting the AH. /SIGH

EDIT: Oh and ebay too, hehe.
Edited by Oreooze on 12/12/2012 10:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
I think all the OP is saying is that it would be courteous, if you see the other person hunting as well, to just log out and see if they want a Poor or Common quality version of the pet. You could quickly just despawn it and go about your way, but if it's a particularly difficult pet to find, then why not share? Either they will capture it, or they will despawn it for you. Win/win.

I guess you could say "in that 20 seconds a rare could have spawned and I would have missed it!" but I guess then you're choosing between helping someone else out and just helping yourself. I realize a lot of people generally won't choose the former.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
I can't control what anyone else does, but I did my part and used a stone to rarify the scourged whelpling I randomly found one day so that I wouldn't be tempted to go back and camp.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter
I'd altf4 for a Minfernal or Scourged Whelpling but that's it. That's if my bf or friends weren't on to come take it. I did it for a Cogblade Raptor because someone else was in the area battling them too.

Some people want rares, including myself. Those who don't should consider themselves lucky that, as has been pointed out, lesser qualities of almost any pets are easy to come by. If you can't figure out how to snag a common Infinite Whelpling then that's your issue and no one else owes it to you to leave one.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
Oh, as a general note, DK's on Oceanic/Brazilian servers are your friend. You'll never be 100% without competition, but you'll face a lot less if you're hunting when it's 5am in Brisbane.

The Brazilian servers are just really low pop.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Ryxi - aren't you the gal who'd rather have all pets lined up in front of you in Ogrimmar for you to capture with zero hunting effort? It's supposed to be casual, so it should just be free - right?

My apologies if I got the wrong female hunter.

Nope, I'm the gal who'd rather find the one little area where hard-to-find pets spawn 3-6 at a time but respawn fast enough that I can battle them all and never run out.

I like working for my prizes, but sitting around waiting isn't work. Even fishing takes more effort than that.
Reply Quote
I can't state how awful it is to hunt rare pets with CRZ. There are at least six people around the Minfernal spawning area at all times. The caverns of time are never empty. Not to mention there is no possible way to get that rare proto drake "in the mountains" now.

I understand why this feature was implemented. I am one of the few people that actually did enjoy flying around the 'old world' in Cataclysm and seeing another player out there was a shock. And it is nice from time to time to see other people now. But in its current state, this feature offers more frustration than fun.

Right now, we have to deal with a consistent 15-16 people that are always gauranteed to be in the zone. Seeing as how CRZ automatically moves people into realms to keep a steady population, there will ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS be people farming for these rare mobs, 24/7.

Ways I would fix CRZ:

1) Make it so critters (battle pets) and rare mobs are phased to individual realms only. I know this may be out of the question technically, but it would fix so many grievances. If a Minfernal was only based on my realm, yes I would still have competition - but only from people from my realm.

2) Make certain areas within zones not applicable to CRZ. If I am in Whisperwind Grove in Felwood, I can see people from other realms. But if I go into Shatter Scar Vale, then suddenly those people disappear and I go onto my own realm. While not an ideal fix, it would solve the problem. Perhaps have an option of 'Rare Hunter' that you can turn on/off to make it so these rare spawn points aren't affected by CRZ, but other areas still are.

3) Give alternate ways to achieve these pets. Make rare pets/mounts tradeable or sellable. Have them be rewards from achievements, or random drops from pet battles/scenarios (but preferably something above a 1% drop rate). Some other feasible way to achieve these rare pets/mounts without camping for 12+ hours with 12+ strangers, hoping you get there first when it actually does spawn.

4) Don't make so many pets rare. Again, not an ideal fix but it would make me happy at least. One thing that made the Time-Lost Proto Drake so special was that it was a one-of-a-kind rare mount. Imagine if there were over a dozen rare mounts like this released all at once with CRZ. Should I see someone on a Time-Lost Proto Drake, the thought that springs to mind is "Wow, they're lucky. Grats to them." Should I see someone with a Minfernal, or another rare spawn pet, I only feel resentment as I know they would have either gotten abnormally lucky to get it or stole a spawn from me after waiting in the area for 12+ hours.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
There isn't time to be courteous. If I'm hunting a rare and there are a few spawns up then I want to plow through them ASAP before somebody else does. I don't have time to relog for your convenience.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
12/12/2012 07:15 AMPosted by Krystle
Oh, and just because I feel like saying it: I killed (in world) a rare Infinite Whelpling after a Night Elf attacked me during the battle. If the Ayatollah cannot have it, no one can.

This is silly.

Just had an ally do this to an Anodized Robo Cub I had been camping for 2 hours. I killed her, not because I wanted to kill her but she killed the stupid pet. She deserved it.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
wait i can never tell if i mouse over in the minmap or on the real map if thers a rare??? all i see is what pet it is and itll always show a rare one if i have a rare one of that same breed of pet, like critter, elemental etc..what do i need to do or look for to see on a mouse over if theres a rare in it???
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
12/12/2012 04:27 PMPosted by Skillywilly
wait i can never tell if i mouse over in the minmap or on the real map if thers a rare??? all i see is what pet it is and itll always show a rare one if i have a rare one of that same breed of pet, like critter, elemental etc..what do i need to do or look for to see on a mouse over if theres a rare in it???

There isn't a way to tell until you get into the fight. I think people in the thread are just suggesting upgrading the uber-rare battle-pets like Corrupted Whelp, etc.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]