My rulz for PUG Heroics and Raids

90 Human Priest
PUG RULZ:
My rules to make running heroic and raid PUGS (Pick up Groups) easier, puns intended.

These have been boiled, sliced, and diced over my 15 years of playing MMO's starting with Everquest back in the day

Every rule has exceptions, these included.
Feel free to suggest changes or new rulz.
I will update the initial list as time allows.

Enjoy!
Wyyll/Pemberly. (pick the game, the names are the same)

Rule 1: It's a PUG, set your expectations low.
No one is as good as you think they should be.

Rule 2: Know your role.
Tanks tank, healers heal, and dps kill stuff.
Don't do someones job for them, even if you can.

Rule 3: Need if you need, greed if you want.
Pass if you don't know the difference.
Corillary: Don't be a loot hog!

Rule 4: Don't apologize unless someone dies.
It's a game, and no one is perfect.

Rule 5: If your groupmates are idiots, leave.
Ignorant peeps and idiots are two different things.
Don't bother to tell idiots what to do, they won't change.
Ignorant people will learn, if you're nice about it.

Rule 6: Don't be a jerk.

Rule 7: Do not criticize, even if you're right.
You don't like it when others tell you what to do, and others feel the same way.
Offer suggestions and then let it go.

Rule 8: Ask questions.
If you don't know what to do, ask politely.
Peeps generally like helping others.

Rule 9: Be a follower, unless you're the tank, then lead.
There can be only one leader, and its easiest if it is the tank.
If you don't want to lead, don't be a tank.

Rule 10: Tanks pull, don't help them unless they specifically ask.
Pull agro is significant, don't mess it up or the healer usually dies.

Rule 11: If your not the tank, dump threat/agro often.
If you don't know how, learn.
Don't make the healer heal you. You're not the tank.
If the tank stinks, do less dps.
If you're the healer and the tank stinks, you're gonna die alot. Accept it.

Rule 12: Follow the kill order.
If there is't one, ask for one.

Rule 13: Load addon Deadly Boss Mobs (or better) and use it.

Rule 14: Don't run!
If your not the tank, and you get agro, run TO the tank, and not away.
Don't make the tank chase you down.
This is hard, as it contradicts basic fight or flight instincts.

Rule 15: If you're the healer, load the addon Healbot (or something better), and use it.

Rule 16: Heal the tank first, healer second, and dps if there is time.
Don't feel guilty if dps die. It happens.

Rule 17: Don't brag about dps meter (eg. recount) results. No one cares but you.

Rule 18: Learn the boss fights.
Each boss fight has "mechanics" that must be met, or it's a wipe.
Learn what your role must do so the team is sucessful.
Then be sure you do it.

Rule 19: If you wipe, try again.
2nd chances are often successful. 3rd tries not so much.

Rule 20: Gear up.
Max your gear, especially if your the tank.
People will judge you by your gear score.
Accept it, you aren't going to change them.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Mage

I'm going to disagree with you on this point. When in a group, it is your job to use your tools to the best effect. For example, if you are playing a shadow priest and the healer is not a priest, you very well could bubble the tank before the pull to mke the healer's life a tad easier. If a mob is eating the healer, do not be afraid to "tank" it while you move it back to the tank to save the healer.

So, know your role but do not be afraid to step out of it if it only helps the group
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Must be one of the most patronizing posts I've ever seen.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
This is a troll post right?? I mean, it has to be....
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
My rules:

1) Never group up with someone who doesn't know how to spell the word 'rules'.
2) Be cool, have fun
3) ??????
4) Profit!
Edited by Amandalynn on 12/13/2012 1:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/13/2012 01:51 PMPosted by Amandalynn

I have lost count of the number of guild invites I've turned down on my alts based solely on the incorrect spelling of "Your/you're"
Reply Quote
Agree with most everything except you might want to rename this "rules for being a dps."

I say if the tank or healer is somehow incapacitated/dead/terrible, it's acceptable to help them out for the good of the group. As a hunter if the tank dies, a quick pet growl can save us from a wipe, or a boomkin throwing a rejuv can be a big help.

Rule 16: Heal the tank first, healer second, and dps if there is time.
Don't feel guilty if dps die. It happens.

Actually, healer needs to heal themselves first. Dead healer does no healing. Your rule is correct, IF the healer isn't in trouble.
Reply Quote
64 Tauren Death Knight
12/13/2012 08:48 AMPosted by Pemberly
Corillary

???
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
My rules:

2) Be cool, have fun
3) ??????
4) Profit!

I was going to do my usual "pick it apart line by line" routine on the OP, but this sums it up pretty well.
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue

Might want to reconsider that last line now that Symbiosis and configurations like priest Smite spec are in play. Also I don't see a problem with healers DPSing if they can do it while keeping folks alive.

Rule 13: Load addon Deadly Boss Mobs (or better) and use it.

The addon is Deadly Boss MODS. Not sure why you put in the "(or better)" - why not just name the "better"?

Rule 15: If you're the healer, load the addon Healbot (or something better), and use it.

Not sure why this is a RULE, frankly, especially for a PUG. While addons are helpful and can provide incredible detail, it is entirely possible to heal with the Blizzard UI and mouseover macros (see: Beta testing).
Edited by Antoniolo on 12/14/2012 2:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter

This is good for newbies. My husband has been healing with portrait/name clicking since vanilla and he's been topping heals ever since. It's actually better to train yourself without an addon imo, but to each their own!
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Druid
Some of the rules here are pretty spot on, while other rules are just a complete mess.

Rules that are incorrect

Like people stated above, if your a dps with a healing spell you can throw in a heal from time to time to help out the healer, dps can kite mobs to the tank, etc ...

Rule 9: Be a follower, unless you're the tank, then lead.
There can be only one leader, and its easiest if it is the tank.
If you don't want to lead, don't be a tank.

Newbies want to try out tanking aswell. They often don't know the dungeon layout and want someone else to lead. What you're saying here basically comes down to "Newbies can't tank !" because they can't lead properly for the first time playing WoW.

All the others are "O.K" ish. Also the rules about DMB & healbot are extremely dumb. You don't NEED healbot or DBM to successfully heal or do a dung/raid. Infact, relying on those addons is the worst thing you can do. If one day they decide to ban those addons ( not going to happen, but just imagine ) then you'll be screwed.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
12/15/2012 02:29 AMPosted by Ðruid
If one day they decide to ban those addons ( not going to happen, but just imagine ) then you'll be screwed.

A more plausible scenario, that happens every time a new patch or expansion drops with almost every addon:

The new patch or expansion changes something in the UI, rendering the addon completely inoperable or at the very least extremely buggy, even with the "load out of date addons" box checked off.

Now, unless you're used to raiding/dungeoning without the help of that addon, you are completely helpless until the addon's creators fix it (sometimes that can take weeks). If the addon has been abandoned since it was last updated, then you are screwed and must re-learn another addon.

Waiting weeks for an addon to be updated because you rely on it so much is a quick way to get yourself left out of bleeding-edge progression guild raiding. The guilds competing for world and server firsts aren't going to put their progress on hold to wait for you for 2 weeks. In that time they would end up effectively forfeiting their position in the race if they waited for you.

Now, most players don't play at that level. BUT telling a newbie to load a particular addon that could actually hinder their chances at becoming good enough for such activities, before they're even aware of whether they'll need to rely on such a feature, is not wise. Addons are meant to be installed only if they fix a problem that you need solving. If there's no inherent issue that you have with a particular aspect of the base UI, then the addon is completely superfluous and could hinder you later when you want to play the game and it's not there for you to rely on.
Edited by Avanna on 12/15/2012 9:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/15/2012 08:53 AMPosted by Avanna
Waiting weeks for an addon to be updated because you rely on it so much is a quick way to get yourself left out of bleeding-edge progression guild raiding.

Addons that are required for raiding and PvP and have a significant user base like Healbot rarely go weeks without an update. If they go even a single week it would be remarkable.

I use a lot of addons and among those that also have significant user base, the ones that often take a week or so to update after a patch are Auctioneer and Lightheaded. Sometimes also Gathermate. None of them is going to have any effect on raiding or PvP.

I'm not saying what you put forth as a downside isn't possible, but you may want to tone down the scare factor for new players who may want to use addons.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]