Big Trion Layoffs; Funcom drops TSW sub fee

100 Human Paladin
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/183304/Rift_MMO_hit_hard_by_layoffs_at_Trion.php

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/12/12/interview-the-secret-world-drops-subscription/

Anyone tracking usage stats shouldn't be surprised.
Reply Quote
10 Tauren Warrior
Where would we find usage stats for MMOs that don't publish sales or subscriber numbers?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
now poor old gw2 has both swtor and tsw to deal with considering both of those are far far better products.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
12/12/2012 09:42 AMPosted by Kageai
now poor old gw2 has both swtor and tsw to deal with considering both of those are far far better products.

I wouldnt go that far. GW2 is actually a fun game.
Reply Quote
15 Goblin Shaman
12/12/2012 09:42 AMPosted by Kageai

You sure have a hard on for GW2.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
I would play Secret World but my computer just can't handle it for more than 10 minutes. Shame really cause It looked like a game I could really get into
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Unfortunate what is happening at Trion. RIFT is an all right game, but the gameplay is simply too much like WoW's to hold my interest for long. I'm looking for a game that is not like WoW. I'm sick of WoW, been playing since 2006. Give me something else!

As for TSW, I played that too back in July and it was okay for a bit but the lack of levels really did me in. Also the questing was extremely, EXTREMELY linear, a major turn off for me.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warrior
12/12/2012 01:45 PMPosted by Jazeraca
As for TSW, I played that too back in July and it was okay for a bit but the lack of levels really did me in. Also the questing was extremely, EXTREMELY linear, a major turn off for me.
TSW wasn't the only game that tried to do away with character levels in favor of weapon levels (in a way). FFXIV tried to do it as well, though really the only ones that reacted badly to it were the (stupid) FF traditionalists.

I don't understand the thing about the quests, though. Quests have always been linear. I admit investigation missions are tricky but for the most part a good chunk of TSW is up to par with everything else that's been out. The big downside for me is the fact that the quests f'ing reset, which heavily devalues your actions ingame.
Reply Quote
the secret world was bad imo. unappealing art design... i lasted all but about 10 minutes and immediately uninstalled. i like rift but it didn't seem too solo friendly.
Reply Quote
94 Blood Elf Rogue
Rift just launched an expansion that increased the size of their world by 300%. I'm really not at all surprised that they had some excess staff after all that work was tied up and over with. Game developers have never really been ones to have a sustainable/unchanging number of employees, they kind of hire and fire when necessary. It could mean Rift is having problems, but that's not the only explanation.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
12/13/2012 01:34 AMPosted by Verelyse
Rift just launched an expansion that increased the size of their world by 300%. I'm really not at all surprised that they had some excess staff after all that work was tied up and over with. Game developers have never really been ones to have a sustainable/unchanging number of employees, they kind of hire and fire when necessary. It could mean Rift is having problems, but that's not the only explanation.

Yep not to mention these layoffs donlt just effect Rift. Really from what I have read the expansion is doing well. They apparently for instance sold more of the yearsub deals then they expected. From what I have read alot of this might be related to the issues with End of Nations. But whatever it is yeah I donlt think its time to call end of the world! for Rift just yet. Like you said this stuff happens.
Reply Quote
24 Blood Elf Hunter
I tried playing Rift but the questing system was just so boring I couldn't do it.

Since TSW went buy to play, I've bought it and plan on trying it out today.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
12/12/2012 08:28 AMPosted by Corrock
Where would we find usage stats for MMOs that don't publish sales or subscriber numbers?

You can use XFire to get relative usage (relative among the people who use XFire, at least).

You have to assume the XFire users aren't too different from average customers, but broadly that has seemed to be the case, at least when it comes to comparing success/failure of MMOs.

See http://nosygamer.blogspot.com/ which has been archiving weekly MMO usage numbers from XFire since early this year.
Reply Quote
86 Undead Monk
Rift expansion finally gets it right.

It feels it's own
World feels alive
Dungeons have their own feel
Raids are great
Plot is improved
World is massive

The problem is End of Nations. It is costing them to much, and was a bad financial decision. Most of those fired were Q/A positions. While it's sad, Trion is a great company, with dungeons/raids/big events added monthly. I hope Rifts quality isn't affected.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
TSW's gameplay is really bad. Its designed so that you need one combo builder, 1 finisher, and the remaining slots are used for an AoE builder and finisher, elite skill (Usually a stun or snare on a 30 second cooldown) and some cooldowns or offheals.

Everything is attached to passives. Your builder might require afflicted (DOT) to do extra damage, but it also causes it. 1-1-1-1-1-2 repeat.

They fixed Rift up a lot - formerly you could macro everything to two buttons, but it still feels clunky to me. When the same animation and sound is used for every melee attack it makes it lack distinction.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
I tried TSW during their free play weekend. Maybe I'm just far too used to the hand-holding of WoW, but the intro quest seemed far too sandboxy. Like, "you're here, now figure out why you're here". Not that it took long for me to make my way where I needed to be, but even 10 minutes of wandering aimlessly was no fun.

However, I did enjoy when, after what seemed like forever, I finally got to shoot some baddies.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
I tried TSW during their free play weekend. Maybe I'm just far too used to the hand-holding of WoW, but the intro quest seemed far too sandboxy. Like, "you're here, now figure out why you're here". Not that it took long for me to make my way where I needed to be, but even 10 minutes of wandering aimlessly was no fun.

However, I did enjoy when, after what seemed like forever, I finally got to shoot some baddies.

now you see I like that idea.
I like that they designed some of the quests so that players are encouraged to go online and do research (actual research as opposed to "look up a Walk through on YuTube")

Really Wish I had a better computer so I could play it
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
I've played both and tbh if I hadn't of played WoW so long I probably would of been a Rift player, its a solid game.

TSW is a niche game, and it has proven to be. I actually liked the questing set up, however the combat was horribly boring, and trying to keep up with all the of the passives and what worked with what, just got frustrating. I have no real issue with not having levels, I loved the original SWG skill system, I just don't like the whole weapon leveling thing. Its probably a really awesome game if you do like it, for everyone else its just probably going to be meh.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I have tried them all, WoW (obviously) Warhammer, Aion, SWTOR, Rift, TSW (has potential, but only in a super high end comp), GW2, etc. The best game out there for anyone looking for something different than WoW, but similar in the sense of character control and movement is Tera Online. The graphics are personal preference (I am not a huge fan of Tera style, but it IS beautiful), but the game play is incredible, with a combat system that it truly different.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
12/12/2012 01:45 PMPosted by Jazeraca
Unfortunate what is happening at Trion. RIFT is an all right game, but the gameplay is simply too much like WoW's to hold my interest for long. I'm looking for a game that is not like WoW. I'm sick of WoW, been playing since 2006. Give me something else!

Get someone to give you an extended trial in EVE.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]