@devs powershot failure, uneven terrain

90 Human Hunter
http://youtu.be/h_odIkEpW3M
Edited by Ilke on 12/12/2012 12:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
I'd have to go run outside Org to check when I get home, but was that uneven terrain?
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
12/12/2012 11:53 AMPosted by Serinicas
I'd have to go run outside Org to check when I get home, but was that uneven terrain?

bandet does seem to be a bit higher. you may be on to something there. maybe a problem with the knockback causing failure. good eye.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
Maybe with the knockback, or maybe the shot just stays at the same point on the z-axis, and sometimes shoots over the person's hitbox. It's a fairly unique skill in its targeting, so it's possible there's a z-axis issue too.

I'd have to play with it a bit, just something to test.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
wow the z axis never even crossed my mind. that does make a lot of sense. if this is the case there needs to be a proc light when you are on even ground with the target, or some other indicator. i have absolutely landed ps from the edge of of the pit in tok, so its not the case 100% of the time but i would bet green money this is a factor.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
The mechanics of the shot just do not translate to the game very well. You pretty much have to use it against a stationary target on an even plane.

It works great in groups and raids but the knock back feature makes unappealing.

In PvP, finding a stationary target on an even plane is extremely situational.

Blizzard needs to remove the knock back and the target requirements. Doesn't make for a very interesting talent, but better than one you can't use.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
12/12/2012 12:29 PMPosted by Promethia
Blizzard needs to remove the knock back and the target requirements. Doesn't make for a very interesting talent, but better than one you can't use.

IMO, remove the AOE portion. A single target knockback, direction based on Player vs Player positioning, assuming that is possible, and the attack simple hits like every other direct target attack we have.

Either that, or have Powershot trigger a different effect (knockdown...same problems?, AOE Stun too close to Binding Shot?)
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Rogue
It's a much more complicated coding issue than "the z axis"
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
MHC
I've had it miss on cc'd targets while neither is moving on an even surface, just outside Shrine of Two Moons. So it can't be just a z axis problem.

Edit: Actually now that I've checked, there IS a slight lip right at the entrance, so ignore what I said.
Edited by Menger on 12/12/2012 1:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Warlock
The problem is the devs even seem to say that powershot isn't missing when players don't move side to side. There are documented times that a player moves forward towards the hunter and the powershot misses. I'm fairly sure I even saw someone jump one.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
12/12/2012 01:08 PMPosted by Verdash
IMO, remove the AOE portion. A single target knockback, direction based on Player vs Player positioning, assuming that is possible, and the attack simple hits like every other direct target attack we have.

Well they did make charge work so???
Reply Quote
12/12/2012 01:59 PMPosted by Purebalance
I'm fairly sure I even saw someone jump one.

We have a Neo in WoW?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Skillshots are a terrible idea for this game. We had a few added this expansion and I hope that this will be the last they dabble with them. Latency and minute positioning changes made them at times quite useless where a normal targeted ability would have worked just fine.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
Still does not show in the tooltip that it is a skill shot. The only place that this shot has a function so far is pvp. It fails in pvp it needs to be addressed.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Unfortunately, they claim it will take the Devs till patch 5.2 till they can fix it. ..at the earliest!

They can nerf within seconds, but repairs take months.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
Unfortunately, they claim it will take the Devs till patch 5.2 till they can fix it. ..at the earliest!

Or longer, *waves at deterrence*
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
12/12/2012 01:22 PMPosted by Leonoir
It's a much more complicated coding issue than "the z axis"

Good, for a second there I thought that there was no valid reason that the ability was completely broken on top of it being utter garbage to begin with.

Or longer, *waves at deterrence*

Or longer, *waves at disengage*
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter

The claim was also in regards to targets not moving. Missing moving targets is intended, we should only use Powershot against targets to stupid to move out of the way, or those we pre-CCed (since we can't aim it, and unlike most other skill shots in the game, the trigger area appears to be really, really tiny....oh and you can't really aim it to adjust for the target's movement)
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
12/12/2012 02:41 PMPosted by Darthsirak
Still does not show in the tooltip that it is a skill shot. The only place that this shot has a function so far is pvp. It fails in pvp it needs to be addressed.
That's because they !@#$ed up and that's just him covering their %^-. I bet it was never designed to be a skillshot. If you've been following hunter development over the years, this would be obvious...look up blue posts on haste affecting Steady Shot, Aimed Shot cast time, Master's Call being dispellable, Disengage not working because of Charge fix, hunters being bottom of the charts in Dragon Soul due to being less skilled or not having access to heroic Madness bow, etc.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
12/13/2012 08:42 AMPosted by Skhope
That's because they !@#$ed up and that's just him covering their %^-. I bet it was never designed to be a skillshot. If you've been following hunter development over the years, this would be obvious...look up blue posts on haste affecting Steady Shot, Aimed Shot cast time, Master's Call being dispellable, Disengage not working because of Charge fix, hunters being bottom of the charts in Dragon Soul due to being less skilled or not having access to heroic Madness bow, etc.

Don't forget, multi shot damage nerfed because it is to easy to use...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]