Super guild invite addon banned?

Is SGI banned from WoW?
Reply Quote
Generally speaking sending people whispers and invites about a guild of interest would not be against the TOS HOWEVER sending invites and whispers over a short period of time and getting reported for spam over and over again would put you into a spammed category which could get your account banned for spamming members.

To be safe and if you want to continue to use this addon it would be wise to only send invites out once every few hours or so.
Reply Quote
Thank you very much. this helped me out a lot. It is always best to be on the safe side. :)
Edited by Dànté on 12/11/2012 4:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Its not banned by WoW, but its really looked down up on by the player base who gets spammed with unwanted/unsolicited whispers to join a guild they know nothing about and have probably never heard of before. From that perspective, it does more harm than good for your guild.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue
I rolled my monk and immediately was hit by 4 G invites with 10 secs.
Declined all of them, and sent an officer a tell saying it was me and invite.
Got hit by 1 within 5 seconds.
Declined agained.
Got hit again 5 seconds later, report for spam and /ignore.
Fortunately an officer in my guild was able to answer my tell and send me an invite.
It is a most annoying addon.
If you are spamming it I would report you.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I wish they WOULD ban it, thing is annoying.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I use it for the whisper feature personally, just throwing whispers around. And if I get a bite, I reel em' in. More player-friendly use of the addon.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/13/2012 05:33 AMPosted by Parusel
I use it for the whisper feature personally, just throwing whispers around. And if I get a bite, I reel em' in. More player-friendly use of the addon.

Same, and the blacklist feature means I won't bother someone twice. Boy oh boy though, are some people rude about getting a polite whisper.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Simply block guild invites, if this is the case. Easiest solution possible. When you're ready to join a guild, unblock for a brief moment until you get the right inv.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
i report every single unwanted ninja invite i get these days
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
anyone else find it funny that a guy in a guild called, <the righteous few> wants an addon that spams mass guild invites?
Reply Quote
6 Gnome Rogue
Personally? The invites don't annoy me too much, I can easily turn them off through my interface if I don't want to receive them without impeding me from accessing any other aspect of the game...

The WHISPERS on the other hand, I report as spam, they annoy the crap out of me, and I can't turn them off without preventing myself from being able to access the MM part of MMO.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
In my opinion, I find the addon to be annoying with the whisper and the auto-invite. However, that being said, I can see an argument being made for having a whisper-only feature w/no auto-invite.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I found the add on to be an invaluable tool to level a new guild. Recruiting through trade is almost impossible because half the folks you want are out leveling. Very hard recruiting for a level 1 guild these days. Within a short period of time we have brought our guild back to life, met a ton of nice folks who are now taking advantage of guild perks and have also met some nice folks.

I do however agree the whisper can be annoying but it's one whisper even if I were whispered by 10 folks recruiting what is it really hurting? It's not screwing your game up in any way or stopping you from leveling or hindering your fights. Some of you folks are a bit too high strung I think.

As far as avoidance just turn off guild invites and you won't be bothered.

1-25 in just over a week and this was after 3 months recruiting before finding the add on...
Edited by Kegstand on 2/4/2013 10:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I would also like to add that folks like the ones here usually are the first people to spam you with hate and be total asshats and even after a quick apology usually keep spamming you trying to troll you with anger messages.

I really don't feel bad for anyone who can't mange to click a button and remove this problem themself. I spent 3 years unguilded never really bothered me but I guess I am used to other games where farmer spam is the only thing you see in public channels.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
I have been considering using the addon for this new guild I made, but I already have one guild where that addon was used, where I've made a few great friends, but it's come at a great cost to my reputation on that server. So I am considering doing it differently for the guild you see this chick in now, and taking on-board the advice of taking in only the closest and deepest friendships, even if it means it will take a much longer time to get the guild to level 25. Like, I would love to get the perks quickly, but take heart-if you put the effort in, it is actually not too difficult to level a guild up on your own these days.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
the SGI can be a godsend to a new guild trying to get its membership up. but can be abused like all other things. its all in how you use it. and also how you treat the ppl you have invited if they join. do you spam recruits every 10 minutes? well then you'll probably get reported. if not then you should be ok. I personally have only used it once or twice a day when i was recruiting for my guild..then it became once a month when we stopped having a lot of turnover. and also how are the ppl you've invited treated? i always made sure after i used that addon to make it a point to greet everyone and even whisper them all privately depending on the amount of ppl recruited, just to see how they were doing and if there was anything they needed help with. if you spam invites and immediately move on and forget about the new ppl that just joined chances are they'll leave pretty quickly.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Yes, I had one lady that seemed lovely join my guild yesterday, but I had to go sleep, I immediately came back on to check on her as soon as I got back, by the time I was there she had /gquit a bit frustrating considering she led me to believe she was very keen on friendship. Then again, it's MG, haha, so who knows what could have happened.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
02/04/2013 11:51 PMPosted by Eliil
taking in only the closest and deepest friendships

There is something between addon spamming strangers into your guild, and only inviting your closest friends.

I have to be honest tho, we used a ginvite spam addon to grow our guild. It wasn't to reach 25 extra fast, as we already had a few hundred the day we started the guild. Rather, we specifically wanted a very large guild representing (most of) the range of diversity in the WoW player base. Those who couldn't adhere to our basic standards (courtesy, non-bigotry and friendly gchat with very limited cussing) quite quickly departed the guild. Of the rest, we have many who are still active with us.

So to me, like Velienna

02/05/2013 06:07 AMPosted by Velienna
its all in how you use it. and also how you treat the ppl you have invited if they join

We ran the addon once or twice over several hours, maybe a couple times in a week. An officer did the addon, and as I recall did not use the auto invite feature, only the whisper. She did the invites, and I greeted them as they joined and let them know guild rules and vent info. Those were always very fun days. New guildies tended to enliven gchat, people talking about their lives and running dungeons and bg's together. After a mass influx of new guildies, the officers and I kept close watch over gchat and the bank, and yes there would often be a bad apple or 2. But overall, we got a great guild out of it.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
12/13/2012 11:19 AMPosted by Niia
Same, and the blacklist feature means I won't bother someone twice. Boy oh boy though, are some people rude about getting a polite whisper.

Unsolicited advertisement is pretty much the direct opposite of polite. If you don't want people responding to you like you're a telemarketer, don't send them automated copy-paste messages. Also, it's a bit deceptive to call it "a polite whisper", since it's very rare that you only get one guild spam - you're not the only one with the addon. Hiding behind 'well, I only spammed you once myself, it's not rude that I contributed to a wall of worthless tells!' isn't exactly endearing.

02/05/2013 07:10 AMPosted by Eliil
by the time I was there she had /gquit a bit frustrating considering she led me to believe she was very keen on friendship.

Don't expect people to worry more over leaving a guild than they did joining it in the first place.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]