Super guild invite addon banned?

90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I agree with you Khahan I'll still use but not as much I'll now try to put advertise my guild in trade chat to see how it'll work.In the first minute I got 4 messages saying " who came up with that name..." "Lame name" "....." " I wanna join" I now see how cruel this world is...
Edited by Keedorin on 6/20/2013 4:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Edited by Keedorin on 6/20/2013 4:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
ppl are such babys turn off the guild invites if you don't like it period. just like the ppl reporting for curseing in the game when they have a filter and wont use it. don't leave the filter of and guild invites off then cry for getting invites and ppl curseing . go play checkers with grandpa
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Same, and the blacklist feature means I won't bother someone twice. Boy oh boy though, are some people rude about getting a polite whisper.

To the sender it's "one polite whisper." To the recipient, it's probably one of MANY such whispers that often take up a big space in the chat log. Most guilds are "friendly." Many "have vent." Too many say they "hope to raid once we get enough people." In other words, I've seen NOTHING compelling in those whispers. Nothing to distinguish one guild from another. So, that chat log is filled with nothing of interest to me. I like that they allow the feature for the invite to be hidden. I wish guild invite whispers could be hidden as well.

Also, if they are spamming the invites, they are inviting EVERYONE who clicks yes (if they have the guild invite feature turned on in the interface). That means any jerk troll, every ninja that got kicked out of their last guild, every griefer, every mouth-breathing 15 year old with the social skills of a 3 year old, could be in that guild. When I see one of those invitations, that's what comes to my mind. No interviews, no filter whatsoever. Yeah, I'm sure they'll invite and then gkick, but I'd much prefer a guild that took the time to at least ask a few questions before adding them to guild.

One of the most annoying addons out there. I dread the times when I have to make a new toon (for example, to told a bank toon for a friend while he changes out which toon will keep it, or to help a friend out with one of those holiday achievements) since I know I'm going to just get bombarded.
Reply Quote
06/26/2013 11:58 PMPosted by Sarabande
Same, and the blacklist feature means I won't bother someone twice. Boy oh boy though, are some people rude about getting a polite whisper.

Also, if they are spamming the invites, they are inviting EVERYONE who clicks yes (if they have the guild invite feature turned on in the interface). That means any jerk troll, every ninja that got kicked out of their last guild, every griefer, every mouth-breathing 15 year old with the social skills of a 3 year old, could be in that guild. When I see one of those invitations, that's what comes to my mind. No interviews, no filter whatsoever. Yeah, I'm sure they'll invite and then gkick, but I'd much prefer a guild that took the time to at least ask a few questions before adding them to guild.

One of the most annoying addons out there. I dread the times when I have to make a new toon (for example, to told a bank toon for a friend while he changes out which toon will keep it, or to help a friend out with one of those holiday achievements) since I know I'm going to just get bombarded.

Im failing to see what most people complaining about this addon. I even made a character on a full server on their peak time just to see how "bad" it really was. Sat there for about 15 mins, got maybe 2-3 invites. Not this "omg spammed out" crap I see people posting.

Though I think the opposite, if some guild wants to interview everyone that goes into their guild, I see that as too serious. Sure if you are raiding I can see a point. But even then, people can and will just lie. Of course if 90% of people didnt stay in the highest/biggest guilds on the server maybe this wouldnt be a problem.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
TBH....how else would you want us to invite members? half the time people don't even reply back...and people just ignore the trade chat guild spam.....so....yeah....this addon is very much needed, if you don't like it, there is a setting to turn guild invites off, but for real if you want it to stop...join a level 25 guild and use them for the exp boost, stop being a baby, time to grow up.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
SGI is needed. During the last months of Cata the remains of my raid team moved to Aman'Thul in the hope of filling the missing spots of our raid team. We were a bunch of Aussies who raided end game on Eonar during the US servers off peak time. Most of the good raiders had already moved once the Oceanic servers had started up. Aman'Thul was one of the servers we knew had a resonible player base and we hoped we could start out there again. Getting new players just to join in and make a raid team for the night was harder than expected. On Eonar we had people applying but on this server nothing. LFR seemed to have killed there hunger. I would advertise for days with no response. A friend on the server told me to look at SGI. Its helping. We have grown the guild by 46%. I took all the orphans off the server from 1- 90. Now I am being selective chasing level 90 raiders and pvp players. I just want to say thank you to the developer of SGI. Because we have 25 or more players on at any one time our player base is happier. All GM's should consider it
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
SGI is not needed period, it is a lazy man's tool and it is overused in my opinion. Yes there are some guilds who use it appropriately but they are far and few between , most guilds just annoy players with it.

Just one example in less than 15 mins on a level 90 toon that I transferred to a server to help a friend out ,I get hit with 10 guild invites all with the same spam message but from different players all within the same guild.. now yes all of them only sent the invite once... but this was 10 people in the same guild all running SGI... Can you say annoying?? Blocking invites only blocks the actual invite not the message.

I ran a decently sized leveling guild-200+ and a raiding guild and never ever needed this addon to recruit

I am not saying it should be banned, but I think the Add on needs to be changed, so that those who do use it will not be allowed to spam others.. And guilds who do use it need to make sure that Only ONE player is recruiting.. NOT 10.
Reply Quote
SGI is not needed period, it is a lazy man's tool and it is overused in my opinion. Yes there are some guilds who use it appropriately but they are far and few between , most guilds just annoy players with it.

Just one example in less than 15 mins on a level 90 toon that I transferred to a server to help a friend out ,I get hit with 10 guild invites all with the same spam message but from different players all within the same guild.. now yes all of them only sent the invite once... but this was 10 people in the same guild all running SGI... Can you say annoying?? Blocking invites only blocks the actual invite not the message.

I ran a decently sized leveling guild-200+ and a raiding guild and never ever needed this addon to recruit

I am not saying it should be banned, but I think the Add on needs to be changed, so that those who do use it will not be allowed to spam others.. And guilds who do use it need to make sure that Only ONE player is recruiting.. NOT 10.

That is more a failure on people not the addon though. I have used it in the past. I keep it short, try to only make it a little sentence, so not to annoy people. I never auto sent an invite to the guild though, I get that is just way too annoying.

You could change the addon all you want, but if 10 people from one guild wanna spam it, then they will. If anything make it so you have to be guild master to use it, that would at least stop the spam a bit.

Yet I have two unguild toons on two servers, one lowish other high in population. I played them on seperate days. Hoping to try out a new guild, I would of accepted any invite I got. On both I asked in trade the general "LF a social guild" got nothing. Oddly enough got no whisper/invite either. Now my only other option is to use guild finder, but I'm starting to think "Good guilds" don't use that period. So my chances of finding a said social guild seem zero at the moment.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
06/27/2013 08:12 AMPosted by Gunney
Though I think the opposite, if some guild wants to interview everyone that goes into their guild, I see that as too serious.

We're actually really laid back, and we have only raided for a short time at the very end of Cata. But what we are is tight-knit and care about what kind of people we bring in. The last thing I want to inflict on my guildies is some random jerk who may cause problems. Yeah, I can gkick (and have, when I found out that the person, even after a short talk, was a jerk). I let people know what we are about and ask what they are looking for. I let them know what we DON'T do (we don't give you gold and we don't run you through). I once had someone rerolled from another server whisper me, interested in bringing in his main. He said he was interested in progression. I told him flat out that he wouldn't be happy with us (and I'm sure, if he was wanting progression, we would eventually not be all that happy either).

I also encourage anyone interested in joining, to take a look at our website. I post the rules on the first page, and post other stuff (like what's going on with the guild, if anything, various guides on our forums) so they can see what we are about. Then they can see if we seem like a good fit.

Not serious really. I just care about my guildies. They are not a random group of strangers just thrown together (OK, they were strangers, but I try to make it less random by filtering out the people who would least likely be a good fit with our attitudes and playstyles - also, a lot of them are friends of existing guildies). We put up with random strangers enough in LFR, LFG, etc. I want this to feel like home, not some subway station.
Edited by Sarabande on 6/29/2013 7:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Why not ask around if you are looking for a guild. Find a bunch of people who seem to hang out together, who may look like they are having fun. Go quest and see if there are anyone from your server (was actually easier to find people before CRZ even if there were LESS people visible). Even if you don't find anyone with a guild to join, ask them if they have any recommendations.

I got one guidie who whispered me back near the end of Wrath because he saw a group of us hanging out together near the bank in Dalaran all the time. We are a tiny guild and yet somehow, we got noticed by someone. Ask around to see if anyone wants to group up for activities. I admit that the random cross-server stuff has made it a bit tougher to find guilds but you know what? People found guilds and found guild members long before this stupid addon was made. ESPECIALLY if it's just for a social guild and not a specific type of activity (such as raiding and whatnot). Also, the way people present themselves or word their messages may make a difference. Be concise but specific in what you want. It may get noticed more by the kind of guild you are looking for. "LF relaxed social guild to make new friends on my alt," for example.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
06/29/2013 06:47 AMPosted by Gunney
That is more a failure on people not the addon though.

I do not disagree with this but the addon needs to be changed so that people can not abuse it the way they currently are.

Even some guild leaders who are not spamming still let more than one guild member use it.. so while one person is not spamming,, 10 people using it at the same time from the same guild is in my book spam and the guild leader needs to set some ground rules to limit that kind of issue. Those that do not are the ones that are going to create problems for anyone using SGI.

Any tool can be used incorrectly and abused.. This is one tool that is being abused a lot of players.

Is it absolutely needed to run a guild.. no guilds did just fine without it.. used correctly could it help Yes...

I never said it should be banned... I think it has it's uses but it is too easily abused and that needs to change

I also think how annoying this addon is can be tied directly to the population of the server your toon is on... On low pop servers I am never bothered period I can remain unguilded and never have to worry about it, but on medium to large pop servers it is a problem
Reply Quote
If your looking for a good addon to help with guild recruitment I also suggest Guild Recruitment Helper, I just type in my guild ad (It tells you symbols to show the guilds level and name of the guild so you dont have to physically type those out( you can set it up to show interval times on how often to post and in what channel. I have mine set to post every 12 minutes in either General or trade ,if the channel is active then I tell it to go off ever 100 lines, I also have it set up to read other guild members of mine who may use the same addon, and it finds those people, if one of them uses it and theirs go off, mine won't in that same channel. Pretty nifty, not as spammie, and great and easy to modify as needed :P
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I just can't bring myself to use this addon.

The problem with a "polite" whisper is that whispers are distracting.

During a boss fight, is that whisper from someone trying to tell me something important? No? Another guild ad? grrr.

This is why I would much rather see a global chat channel. This way you can reach everyone without bothering people who simply don't want to be whispered. And they can opt out of the global channel. You can't opt out of whispers from people you haven't /ignored.

Pearls of Wisdom - Except For Ending Slavery, Fascism, !@#$sm, and Communism, War Has Never Solved Anything
Reply Quote
Why not ask around if you are looking for a guild. Find a bunch of people who seem to hang out together, who may look like they are having fun. Go quest and see if there are anyone from your server (was actually easier to find people before CRZ even if there were LESS people visible). Even if you don't find anyone with a guild to join, ask them if they have any recommendations.

I have tried to ask around. Even out in the world there isn't many people out period. Even when I do dailies on my main there isn't much of anything. I loved it before CRZ, even before LFG you were forced to talk to one another. Now that isn't needed. I have gone through the forums/guild finder typing in the guilds that look "friendly" most don't have more then one person online at any given time.

So unless all the "good guilds" don't feel the need to bother trying to recruit. I don't even see many guilds recruiting. I can see on my high server and see trade completely dead.

I was going to wait till virtual realms hit, since maybe then I could find a guild on another server. I don't want to have to join another mega guild just for the chance to talk to people again.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I wish they WOULD ban it, thing is annoying.

Agreed. I don't associate with guilds that have spammed this on me whatsoever.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I would also like to add that folks like the ones here usually are the first people to spam you with hate and be total asshats and even after a quick apology usually keep spamming you trying to troll you with anger messages.

I really don't feel bad for anyone who can't mange to click a button and remove this problem themself. I spent 3 years unguilded never really bothered me but I guess I am used to other games where farmer spam is the only thing you see in public channels.

I completely agree. Some of the wow population have got to be the most unhappiest / angry / impotent or impotent-feeling people on the planet. If you are in a good place in your life (RL), do you really think 1, 2 ... 5 whispers are going to make you upset and/or angry? It isn't the whispers or invites, it's you. Get over it, get off wow, fix what's wrong with you and come back. Make the place enjoyable for all.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
fix what's wrong with you and come back. Make the place enjoyable for all

You had to Necro a 3+ month old thread to tell us there is something wrong with us if we find the SGI addon annoying. Maybe your the one who needs fixing not us
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
I think you just embodied the "unhappiest / angry / impotent or impotent-feeling" person you were trying to describe. Perhaps it is you who should fix yourself.

The addon is trash.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
This thread is like a zombie....

Why would anyone...

Nevermind.

Sigh.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]