Undead... 2 rounds of fights?

Seems weird that the undead ability to recover after death for a single round can actually provide 2 attacks..

By rule it seems the undead recovery adds +1 round of play no matter what creature went first. Many times I've had a creature strike first against an undead.. kill it, only to see it recover and counterattack in the round which it was killed. then the undead will stick for that +1 attack, basically as unkillable.

I would love to see the "rebirth" count as the pets "move" that turn...

It's great when it works "FOR" you, but sucks when you're capturing that special Rare are down to the wire on your last pet and you instinctively feel you won the match, only to have the undead guy kill your remaining pet with "rebirth".
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
If the pet is slower it gets its qued up move in and the next turn.

Nothing wrong with that....its part of the undead kit.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
12/12/2012 06:54 AMPosted by Pic
It's great when it works "FOR" you, but sucks when you're capturing that special Rare are down to the wire on your last pet and you instinctively feel you won the match, only to have the undead guy kill your remaining pet with "rebirth".
Niche moment, the passive is fine as is.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Niche moment, the passive is fine as is.

Eh, I'd argue that it is actually outside the design intention for the passive (to provide a turn after death). I'd like to see the round end when the enemy pet dies regardless of passive. It would be a small nerf to the undead passive, but it would make more sense.
Edited by Simca on 12/12/2012 7:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
its like the reverse of a pet using dodge or evanescence that is faster. they get two rounds of attacks worth of dodging even though it states '1 round'
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
If the pet is slower it gets its qued up move in and the next turn.

Nothing wrong with that....its part of the undead kit.

I use lil KT. Usually it goes like this. My undead dies, revives and performs an attack, next round it's immortal so it performs another attack (and dies). That's 2 attacks.

But just look at mech racial, its even stronger.... They revive and depending on what you do next round can live longer if they have their healing ability qued to heal to full... it's a tough battle there. (Not all mech have that ability, but some do, and timed properly it's killer)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I doubt its a bug, this is what makes certain slow undead pets good and there's never been any indication that it's anything other than intended.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
lol, theres a reason most undead are slow as shiz. Why don't u play smart and use this time to swap out a pet?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
I use lil KT. Usually it goes like this. My undead dies, revives and performs an attack, next round it's immortal so it performs another attack (and dies). That's 2 attacks.

Problem?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Yes. Slow undead pets are quite powerful in this aspect, especially when they have nukes. I guess it's why Blighthawks are so popular.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
12/12/2012 12:02 PMPosted by Zeglo
Yes. Slow undead pets are quite powerful in this aspect, especially when they have nukes. I guess it's why Blighthawks are so popular.

So slow undead pets are good if they die

Again I ask

Problem?
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
12/12/2012 08:55 AMPosted by Kenpo
if they have their healing ability qued to heal to full..

yeah.....that kinda doesn't happen.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I think its relatively balanced. It is less balanced when you look at undead with super high damage. From my experience undead are countered well by dodge attacks though. And undead speed is often low making their reaction to dodge attacks crappy (you need first turn opportunity to dodge counter).

So for most undead its fine. For the Blighthawk and Vampire Bat, its a bit stronger than other type bonuses.

With this said other type bonuses are more powerful under certain conditions aswell. Dragons/Beasts under the effects of sunlight? I rarely see this in play, yet its rather powerful. All elemental teams with the scorched earth effect in play is also a nasty combination.

So the real question is how does the undead type when best exploited compare to other types when they are best exploited? From what I've seen, its fair enough.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
I think its relatively balanced. It is less balanced when you look at undead with super high damage. From my experience undead are countered well by dodge attacks though. And undead speed is often low making their reaction to dodge attacks crappy (you need first turn opportunity to dodge counter).

So for most undead its fine. For the Blighthawk and Vampire Bat, its a bit stronger than other type bonuses.

With this said other type bonuses are more powerful under certain conditions aswell. Dragons/Beasts under the effects of sunlight? I rarely see this in play, yet its rather powerful. All elemental teams with the scorched earth effect in play is also a nasty combination.

So the real question is how does the undead type when best exploited compare to other types when they are best exploited? From what I've seen, its fair enough.

I think the difference lies in that undead pets do it all on their own. Elementals etc. often rely on each other or a certain weather effect (Which can be negated easier).
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
12/12/2012 12:11 PMPosted by Tangla
if they have their healing ability qued to heal to full..

yeah.....that kinda doesn't happen.

Can happen if they were already setting to heal and got hit bad in the 2 "preparing" rounds and died. Has been the case with me a few times.

The undead ability doesn't bother me too much, but what does annoy me about it is that the heal from Devour doesn't trigger if it kills them initially.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
As strategy line up two nice nukes for those moments. If they are strong enough you can gain advantage really well.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
12/12/2012 12:40 PMPosted by Zeglo
I think the difference lies in that undead pets do it all on their own. Elementals etc. often rely on each other or a certain weather effect (Which can be negated easier).

And this is the upside and downside to the undead type. Its fairly useful on its own... but it doesn't really lend itself to any specific combos or abilities. I can think of a very small few (corpse explosion/ascension). This results in undead strats being predictable
Reply Quote
12/12/2012 08:11 AMPosted by Trollinthndr
its like the reverse of a pet using dodge or evanescence that is faster. they get two rounds of attacks worth of dodging even though it states '1 round'

This is an excellent point.
Reply Quote
[quote]But just look at mech racial, its even stronger.... They revive and depending on what you do next round can live longer if they have their healing ability qued to heal to full... it's a tough battle there. (Not all mech have that ability, but some do, and timed properly it's killer)

I admit I've used clockwork like this often, when you can time to resurrection so that your repair occurs on that round and your mech goes first... it's like an insta-full-heal...

On the DOWNside to this is when you try to time the res+repair and your opponent is faster than you, sometimes between the res and the repair they strike you for more than your HP and kill before the repair can take place.

In the case of undeads, striking last essentially gives them 2 rounds immortality. I think this isn't really OP because the undead is only limited to a single round, and as previous posters have said you can either go up, underground or otherwise swap out during the immortal attacks.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]