Guardian tank gear while leveling

88 Tauren Druid
I was running a LFD with a pug. The healer at the beginning of the instance wanted to know why I didnt have any tank gear. Him and one of the dps started harrassing me about not having any tank gear. I was confused because I've been running lfd's no problem since I turned 85. Another thing i'm confused about is at lvl 87 there really doesnt seem to be too much itemization for tank gear. Maybe that changes at max level but I'm lvl 87 currently so it doesnt make sense to me.

Anyways we do the first two bosses without much of an incident. The healer and the other dps are talking about me being a noob and about they are tired of players not gearing properly and stuff. I'm a quiet person and I dont say anything and just keep tanking. They kick me after we down the 2nd boss.

I guess I'm just wondering what the deal is, I get there are people that like to min-max but these dungeons are not hard, the healer's dont have to blow all their mana to heal me, and I feel I do a pretty good job tanking. I guess I'm just wondering what exactly is tank gear while leveling if what i'm wearing works fine.
Edited by Venom on 12/11/2012 3:57 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Some people think that bears should be using strength stats instead of agility. Alternatively, they could be mad about the fact that you don't have any dodge?

Either way, some (too many) are just terrible elitist jerks. I've encountered some pretty bad abuse when I was healing in the beginning myself.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
12/11/2012 03:56 PMPosted by Venom
I guess I'm just wondering what the deal is, I get there are people that like to min-max but these dungeons are not hard, the healer's dont have to blow all their mana to heal me, and I feel I do a pretty good job tanking. I guess I'm just wondering what exactly is tank gear while leveling if what i'm wearing works fine.

Either they're ridiculously stupid or were trolling you.

Tank gear for bears is the same as cat dps gear - agility leather. And for 5 mans (including level 90 heroics) you don't need tank-specific trinkets, reforges or enchants.

If it happens again just nicely explain that bears use agility gear to tank. If they persist in being #%*%%#@* wads just let them kick you and enjoy your instant requeue. But don't let them get to you.
Reply Quote
88 Tauren Druid
12/11/2012 04:08 PMPosted by Eluial
If it happens again just nicely explain that bears use agility gear to tank. If they persist in being #%*%%#@* wads just let them kick you and enjoy your instant requeue. But don't let them get to you.

I will say I do enjoy the instant que's. But I havent even tried to tank again, I actually went and changed to feral because of this and it makes me kind of nervous to think about tanking again. This all happened yesterday so it's not like it's been a long time or anything lol. I guess I might try again, but I will say I dont like being harassed just trying to play a video game in my spare time
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
12/11/2012 04:08 PMPosted by Eluial
Tank gear for bears is the same as cat dps gear - agility leather. And for 5 mans (including level 90 heroics) you don't need tank-specific trinkets, reforges or enchants.

What this guy said. Though I would use tank specific trinkets and reforges for heroics because I just think that's polite.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
12/11/2012 04:15 PMPosted by Venom

I will say I do enjoy the instant que's. But I havent even tried to tank again, I actually went and changed to feral because of this and it makes me kind of nervous to think about tanking again. This all happened yesterday so it's not like it's been a long time or anything lol. I guess I might try again, but I will say I dont like being harassed just trying to play a video game in my spare time

Well, tanking can be pretty stressful in general and you're typically going to bear (lolpun) the brunt of the blame when things go bad, whether or not it's actually your fault. If you think that's going to be seriously detrimental to your enjoyment of the game, then yeah, you should probably consider staying feral.

But honestly, people will troll you or pick on you no matter what. If it really bugs you there's always the ignore button. It doesn't seem like you're doing things wrong, so just do what you find fun and don't let the others get you down. Haters gonna hate.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
12/11/2012 04:28 PMPosted by Snuzzle
What this guy said. Though I would use tank specific trinkets and reforges for heroics because I just think that's polite.

If you're undergeared maybe. I think it's more polite to be putting out the same DPS as a DPS spec'd player as the tank, making everyone's heroic that much faster.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Honestly your gear is fine mate, some people are just Trash, if you need a hand with anything once you hit 90 just send me a message :D
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
12/11/2012 04:29 PMPosted by Eluial

If you're undergeared maybe. I think it's more polite to be putting out the same DPS as a DPS spec'd player as the tank, making everyone's heroic that much faster.

I think you mean if you're not overgeared. :) If you're overgeared you'd probably be going in there with DPS gear on even if you were a prot warrior.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Him and one of the dps started harrassing me about not having any tank gear.
Welcome to Bear tanking.

Many people in this game are uninformed and/or trolls. If you want to run LFD, I encourage you to learn as much as you can about your class. Not only to become a better player, but also to be secure enough in your knowledge so that you can shrug off those annoying pests.

Thankfully, people who start complaining before the first pull are very rare - I see them in less than 1% of my runs. People who complain loudly once things go badly are more common.

As for your gear, it is perfectly fine. And anyway, since 5.0, all secondary stats are close enough for Guardians that you can gear pretty much however you want. For pure psychological reasons, you might look into Stamina trinkets. Not that they would help you tank (your current trinkets are fine for Guardians and actually better than Stamina trinkets), but other players are less likely to complain about your gear if you have a lot of health.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
12/11/2012 04:28 PMPosted by Snuzzle
For 5mans?

There isn't a 5man that actually hurts you in any way shape or form, unless it's a challenge mode. In which case you reforge for DPS anyway so it doesn't matter.

The healer and the other dps are talking about me being a noob and about they are tired of players not gearing properly and stuff.
They're morons. Ignore them.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Until you get to heroic raiding, dps stats ARE effectively tank stats. There's a couple of obvious exceptions (strength, attack power), but fundamentally damage -> rage -> health/avoidance.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]