Think my account is going to be hacked. Help!

90 Worgen Death Knight
I was playing my Worgen Druid and I recieved a whisper for a "Blizzard GM" about my account being AB Normal. I thought it was legit because I was making toons and deleting them a lot to try new things. I went to the webpage that I was told and entered my Security Question and Answer. I entered it wrong the first time accidently then thought of what it was and entered it. I looked it up later and others had simular things happen to them and that it's a scam. Please help I really love playing WoW and meeting new people and don't wanna start over. :/

PS: I sent in a ticket as soon as I found out it was fake and changed my password but i'm very worried.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
so change ur secret question?
Reply Quote
39 Human Rogue
Did they ask for your password? That's an instant red flag.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Change passwords on everything associated with your account and get that authenticator pronto.

And quit playing Worgens; that's a red flag to hackers that you're prime bait for a hostile takeover.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
12/21/2012 11:57 AMPosted by Sonofsam
so change ur secret question?

12/21/2012 11:57 AMPosted by Searc
Now get an authenticator.

And if you do get hacked it's not a huge deal. Just make sure you fill out the online "I got hacked form" immediately. They're pretty quick about looking into it and pretty quick about restoring any items lost.

Also, for future reference, Blizzard will -never- give you a website that isn't battle.net (and hackers will use similar so look carefully), they'll never ask you for your information and GMs will never whisper you unless you put in a ticket first. If they decide you've done something illegal with your account they will ban you and you might get an email about it before you try to log on. :P
Reply Quote
12/21/2012 12:01 PMPosted by Mourningcrow
And quit playing Worgens; that's a red flag to hackers that you're prime bait for a hostile takeover.

I can not stress this enough.
Reply Quote
72 Worgen Druid
12/21/2012 12:01 PMPosted by Mourningcrow

Rolled several dozen Worgen. Doesn't use an authenticator or thorough computer protection programs. Never been hacked.

Good computer habits can go a very long way even in the absence of more passive defenses such as Norton. I am very narrow about my browsing - indeed, 99% of my comp time is either ingame or on the site - and I avoid downloading things if I can help it.

The number of Worgen you've rolled has no bearing on the matter.

There is an authenticator coming in the mail, though. World of Warcraft is the only thing of value on my computer, really.

In essence, my computer is a Battle.net monk. It never leaves the safety of the temple that is the Blizzard site.
Edited by Kielminna on 12/21/2012 12:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/21/2012 12:07 PMPosted by Kielminna

My account was hacked a few hours after I made this hunter.
Reply Quote
72 Worgen Druid
12/21/2012 12:09 PMPosted by Héllsing

Still doesn't mean anything.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
12/21/2012 12:02 PMPosted by Sibenice
GMs will never whisper you unless you put in a ticket first

not always true. if they catch you in the middle of doing something borderline they will warn you sometimes before going the ban route.
Reply Quote
12/21/2012 12:10 PMPosted by Kielminna

Still doesn't mean anything.

It totally does.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
12/21/2012 12:11 PMPosted by Oniana
not always true. if they catch you in the middle of doing something borderline they will warn you sometimes before going the ban route.

Well I agree I shouldn't have said never, it's not very often that you would hear from them before hand though.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
12/21/2012 12:16 PMPosted by Searc
Good computer habits can go a very long way even in the absence of more passive defenses such as Norton. I am very narrow about my browsing - indeed, 99% of my comp time is either ingame or on the site - and I avoid downloading things if I can help it.

This won't stop a hacker if they want to get in.

This is true.. BUT.

the majority of 'hacks' are not hacks in the true sense.. they DONT break into your PC, etc very often. most of the time they get the info through phishing, stolen from entering it in on other sites which are not as secure, basic malware.

Why spend the effort to break into a system, when people just GIVE away the info :P
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Not only should the password be changed, but so should the email account used on your battle.net account. Also, you should run full AV and malware scans to make sure that the malicious site did not put anything bad on your computer when you visited it.
Reply Quote
86 Goblin Warlock
Change passwords on everything associated with your account and get that authenticator pronto.

This is the biggest amount of non-sense I have ever heard in my entire life. What does his character's race have ANYTHING to do with getting compromised.

Are you just trolling us or something?
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I think that was an attempt at humor.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]