Macros for Prot warriors

90 Human Warrior
Hey guys. Just started getting into warrior tanking and I have a problem. I have 26 keybinds and can not really come up w/ anymore. Are there certain macros that are important to prot that would help w/ this situation? I.E. combining skills together into one...etc.

If you can share some of your macros or point me into the right directions of a compilation of Prot macros I would greatly appreciate it.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
I use mouse over macros for intervene/safeguard and vigilance. Then I macro glove tinker and trinkets with shield slam so I don't forget about them. That's about it for me.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Its kinda just something you gotta do on your own in order for it to feel natural and not be a clunky waste of effort.

Can macro your banners into one key with modifiers
Can macro your shouts the same way
Same with cooldowns - Demo Shout, Shield Wall, Last Stand (I'd still recommend a separate one for Rallying)
Macro Shield Block/Shield Barrier:
#showtooltip
/cast [mod] Shield Barrier; Shield Block
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Whats an example of the banners macro? That would help a ton!
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
I have well over 40 keybinds and it doesn't present a problem (for me anyway).

Is it a matter of you can't find more keybinds, or that you don't like so many keybinds?

One thing you can do move your movement keys to esdf so your left hand has more keys around them to hit. It takes a little getting used to, but I would never go back.

Also remember you have shift/control/alt versions for all of your mouse buttons. That includes mouse wheel up/down, alt wheel up/down, and so forth (I have macros to set my camera 'close' or 'far' since you can save/load up to 5 preset camera positions).
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warrior
I make heavy use of shift modifier macros, such as:

#showtooltip
/cast [modifier:shift] Demoralizing Shout;
/castsequence reset=5 Thunder Clap, Demoralizing Shout,

#showtooltip
/cast [modifier:shift] Disrupting Shout;
/castsequence [nomod] reset=15 Pummel, Disrupting Shout,

/cast [modifier:shift] Rallying Cry; Last Stand;
/cast Berserker Rage
/cast Enraged Regeneration

#showtooltip
/cast [modifier:shift] Cleave; Heroic Strike;

#showtooltip
/cast [modifier:shift] Hamstring; Disarm
(I rarely use this one, but it's there just in case)

#showtooltip
/cast [modifier:shift] Victory Rush; Execute;

#showtooltip
/cast [modifier:shift] Shattering Throw; Heroic Throw

#showtooltip
/cast [modifier:shift] Battle Shout; Commanding Shout
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
A good action bar addon can do the shift modifiers better than macros. For example, I use the razer naga mouse addon which is very similar to Dominoes although, the most popular action bar addon is most likely Bartender4. All have options to switch up keybinds when you press shift, alt, ctrl, etc. Also, you can have your bars change when you switch stances. As protection, however, you will never get out of defensive stance.

But I do find it helpful on my my shadow priest when I get out of shadow to spot heal. My "1" button switches from Mind Blast to Prayer of Mending simply by going out of shadow. Initially, they may be a little hard to set up, but once you get used to everything, action bar addons do wonders and save macro space for other, more fight specific uses.

As far as macros,

/click ExtraActionButton1

Note that this is case sensitive. What it does is basically keybind the little button that pops up in various fights that Blizz would like to you click on at specific times. For example, the Meditate button when you reach full Hatred during the Taran Zhu fight (last boss) in Shado Pan Monestary. But it is also useful in various other situations.

The important thing about macros is that you give yourself flexibility as there is no single "rotation." Instead, you will have a priority and top of that priority is snap threat, positioning the boss, gaining rage, and staying alive through active mitigation. Therefore, it isn't always good to have strings of /castsequence macros or macro that put a set rotation in for you. Study up on the abilities that are most useful and have those readily available. Icy-Veins does a good job describing the priorities and why they are useful.

Here's how I usually start out. I shout (which one depends on who is in the raid), Heroic Throw, Taunt, and then

#showtooltip
/startattack
/castsequence reset=target Charge, Shield Slam, Devastate, Thunder Clap

The reason I do it this way is simple - Shield Slam provides threat and rage. Devastate applies Sunder Armor, and Thunder Clap applies Weakened Blows.

In addition, the macro gives me flexiblity. For example, my taunt is never macro'd in case I am off tank and need to taunt. Also, if I want to charge without Heroic Throwing, I have that option too. It depends on how I'm doing on threat and whether or not I want the boss to come to me a step or two or stay where he is standing. The second or two that it takes to Heroic Throw, Taunt, then Charge could get the boss off the spot I want him in. In which case, I would just Charge, Shield Slam, Devastate, Thunder Clap... or to take it a step further - Heroic Leap, Shield Slam, Devastate, Thunder Clap - again it all depends on boss placement and how quickly I need threat. If I need to actively mitigate right away or apply debuffs right away.

Also, I have other macro's and keybinds that allow me to do the rotation manually. For example:

#showtooltip
/startattack
/cast Devastate

#showtooltip
/startattack
/cast Shield Slam

#showtooltip
/startattack
/cast Thunder Clap

Now you may be asking me, "Klean, why not just put the ability there?! You don't need a macro?!" First, you are probably right. And for the most part, I have a lot of abilities I don't put the /startattack command into. But, I've found that DPS are switching targets faster than I can if I'm not careful. You will notice that in my macros, the only thing that makes it different from just putting the ability on the bars is the /startattack command. So why do I put it in there?

Well, it is to switch targets quickly. When a mob dies and is too close to Charge, I want to be the first one to hit the next mob. By putting the /startattack command in the abiity, I no longer have to tab target, click tidy plates, or make a /target macro. Instead, I just continue to mash my buttons and in the process, be the first one to hit the next mob on the chopping block.

Other Macros include:

/dbm pull 5

This is just a countdown till pull macro and uses dbm's voice rather than mine.

/cast [spec:1] Defensive Stance; [spec:2] Battle Stance
/equipset [spec:1] Tank ; DPS
/usetalents [spec:1] 2; [spec:2] 1

Switches stance, gear set, and talent tree with one press of a button.

#showtooltip Heroic Strike
/cast Deadly Calm
/cast Heroic Strike

#showtooltip Cleave
/cast Deadly Calm
/cast Cleave

Adds Deadly Calm to Cleave and Heroic Strke.

#showtooltip
/cast [target=focus] Vigilance

Gives Vigilance to my /focus target (usually the off tank).
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Thanks a lot for the ideas. I don't use shift modifiers in one macro and that would help. I do use shift for other binds like I use 1-5 and shift 1-5, q e r f c v and shift those as well as two mouse buttons that I have. I just feel like I'm running out of space on my bars and was trying to combine some things together.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]