Making money with Jewelcrafting.

91 Undead Warlock
From what I've been reading, I should be making around 6000k per day.
And yet I find myself making 40g to 200g per day. Maybe less.

I got to 600 a few days ago, so I'm wondering if it's just what I'm selling. Some of the uncut gems are more expensive than the cut gems, so I just sell them uncut if that's what it calls for. Doing the gem researches every day as well.

And yet I still find myself not making the money I'm supposed to. Something I'm doing wrong?
Reply Quote
91 Undead Warlock
Le bump?
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
Were'd you get the 6k figure from. Supply and demand that's what it's all about. Plus server economics vary by a huge amount realm to realm. I'd like to know how someone is making 6k a day out of JC day in day out.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Get Alchemy, and transmute your way to riches.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
12/15/2012 03:07 AMPosted by Feargx
Get Alchemy, and transmute your way to riches.

Or figure out a crafting item in high demand for medium high prices than watch the economic trends around said item. It has worked for me.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
A lot of it is when you sell. Generally Tuesday/Wednesday evening is when I've found I move gems and enchants the most, as this is when people are finishing up farm night for their raids, as well as when most people tend to do LFR, so it's when people have most need for gems and enchants.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
1) Don't believe everything you read.
2) If everyone else is reading it too, you're going to have competition and that'll reduce the profits considerably.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
Were'd you get the 6k figure from. Supply and demand that's what it's all about. Plus server economics vary by a huge amount realm to realm. I'd like to know how someone is making 6k a day out of JC day in day out.

Easy. Prospect huge amounts of ore and list uncut and cut rare gems and then turn the green gems into jewelry to disenchant.

That may be true but take a lot of time. The OP made it sound easy. Sorry no 6k for you on a daily basis unless you want to spend your day farming.

Actually re reading the OP it says 6000K = 6,000,000g, that's a lot of gold.
Edited by Osirion on 12/15/2012 5:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter
People will tell you its always easy to make gold, and it is to a certain extant.

To make that kind of gold on a daily basis though, expect most of your game time to be wrapped up in just doing that.

The ones I notice that say 'its so easy' are generally the same folks that do nothing but play the AH for 8-16 hours a day.

If you want to see how your competition is in more detail, check out a site called The Undermine Journal.

*edit: I hate it when I leave out words in sentences.
Edited by Melina on 12/15/2012 5:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Well, you have to consider the competition as well (some people are just AH addicts and will undercut a person everytime). and 6k seems unreal, 6k is true if youre the only 600 JC in your server which is highly impossible
Reply Quote
91 Undead Warlock
Woops - I definitely meant 6000g. Gotta love those 3am typing skills.

I'm certainly not the only JC on my server. But it seems like the jewels I get from gem research are going for higher prices. Though honestly, it's going to take me a good bit to discover them all.
Reply Quote
91 Draenei Warrior
As a JC, I have not made much money as of late.

The level 90 necklaces don't sell for much anymore, and the profit margin with the mounts is so minimal it almost isn't even worth it as you might be trying to unload them for a while. Your best bet is to see what gems people are buying up and make those. Or try a panther if you are feeling lucky.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I used to make 10-20K per day pretty easily with JC, now it takes a fair bit more work to make 5-6K. The trick with any profession is knowing the activities of your AH. One person mentioned Tues-Thurs evening sales, and that's quite true, but if you think that you can just throw gems and jewelry up on the AH and that they will sell, think again. You have to check your auctions pretty regularly. I do a fairly light amount of effort, but I check my AH 2-3 times in an evening of play. JC is cutthroat, less so than glyph sales, but you still have to check the undercutting regulalry or you won't make coin.

Other issues with JC are that you have to diversify your activities. I have an alchemist to make primals and to transmute uncommon gems when the golden lotus prices are reasonable. I have an enchanter to DE the 450 level jewelr for shards. The serpent eyes are often cheap enough to shard for profit. I craft the cheap greens for mats, too.

Ore prices have increased, so you will start to see gem prices go up, so just keep at it. I think JC is probably my most steady for AH sales, followed by enchanting, then BS.
Reply Quote
91 Undead Warlock
As a JC, I have not made much money as of late.

The level 90 necklaces don't sell for much anymore, and the profit margin with the mounts is so minimal it almost isn't even worth it as you might be trying to unload them for a while. Your best bet is to see what gems people are buying up and make those. Or try a panther if you are feeling lucky.

Yeah, I am....nowhere near able to make panthers yet. Got the recipies, still need the 100k or more for the mats. -_- It's like they thought we grow gold on trees. I can understand the need for a gold sink, but....20k for one of the mats you need? Isn't that a little excessive?
Edited by Erykä on 12/15/2012 11:18 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
I figure out which perfect cuts and blue-quality gem cuts are selling, cut those, sell 2 or 3 at a time, ruthlessly re-list and monitor my auctions on a bank alt/mobile app, undercut by 1 copper, and buy ore in bulk for the shuffle. I also have alchemy so when golden lotus prices drop, I buy them in bulk and do transmutes of high-value gems for cuts, and I also transmute primal diamonds for cuts, as well as a few flasks on tues/thursday for the other raiders on my server, or if I'm lazy I'll buy all the flasks and re-list them for a profit. I'm sitting on about 25k spread on 4 toons for a minimal amount of work each week. The most labor-intense part is prospecting all the ore, and I just go to windowed, make the wow window small, and prospect with a macro and keybind (/cast prospect /use nameofore) while watching a movie.
Edited by Gripnsip on 12/15/2012 11:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Get all the cuts, prospect ore, sell the good cuts and camp the AH

It takes time, if there are 60-100 cuts and you can only learn 1 a day and each one is RNG whether you get a good or bad one it takes time. You can't expect it all right away.

And 6000 a day? Pff would be lucky on some realms and it depends on (A) your ore suppliers (B) how hardcore a JCer/auction camper you plan on being (C) how often you play (D) your realms competition (E) how much ore you are willing to prospect a day (hundreds of stacks? most people find it way too boring, and it is).

Then you have to deal with collecting all the mail, expired auctions, undercutters. You can make tons of gold JCing just understand how. It's not "free"
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
https://theunderminejournal.com/category.php?realm=H-Area%2052&category=jewelcrafting

If you're going after 6K a day, you don't wanna do JC. Especially on your server.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
It took me 30 days (approximately) to discover all of the cuts. Of course I used ALL of my spirits of harmony from farming songbells on the farm as well as the daily discovery from the research. Also the chest at the end of the golden lotus daily chain seems to have the highest chance of getting the meta cuts and the toy(pet) recipes.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]