Logical Looting System

(Locked)

90 Human Warlock
Why is there no logic to the looting system? Sure peeps that are Hardcore can run with master looter and get gear that way. LFR, Sha,and Galleon, NEED to have some for of Ai so people dont keep getting the same loot. I have 3 pairs of 496i gloves off sha, still no teir pants. I have 2 pairs of 483i gloves, still no 2 set... It is only logical to have a logical looting system. Not based on dumb luck. Giving the Dev team a bad name. Looting system dev should go work for a calculator company at a potatoe farm..... Because he totally missed a script about not repeating the same gear 6 times to a single purpose toon.
Edited by Precipitate on 12/20/2012 2:18 PM PST
14 Blood Elf Priest
If you want to see the looting system or chance at loot change, you'll want to post constructively in the Dungeons and raids forum. I'd suggest leaving out the unnecessary commentary and stick to your suggestion.
69 Orc Death Knight
...er, why is random being random news after eight years?
90 Human Warlock
yeah frustrated, kinda sad when you make scripts for a living and someone making one for a game and making huge amounts of money doing it cant get it even close to right...
14 Blood Elf Priest
12/20/2012 01:41 PMPosted by Precipitate
yeah frustrated, kinda sad when you make scripts for a living and someone making one for a game and making huge amounts of money doing it cant get it even close to right...

But it is right. You just don't like your own luck. Perhaps you should write a script to improve you luck? ;)
100 Undead Warlock
12/20/2012 01:35 PMPosted by Danvers

something feels more objectionable about forced rolling and winning a piece of loot you already have as compared to seeing an item you already have drop and not rolling need on it.
6 Gnome Rogue
Blizzard is not going to make loot non random.

If you want loot that is guaranteed to be exactly the one piece you needed, use valor.
6 Gnome Rogue
12/20/2012 01:48 PMPosted by Yindar

something feels more objectionable about forced rolling and winning a piece of loot you already have as compared to seeing an item you already have drop and not rolling need on it.

So go complain to the thousands of people who spent most of Cata whining about other people "stealing" "their" loot.
90 Human Warlock
12/20/2012 01:35 PMPosted by Danvers

7 years of need before greed, its only been two in a half months of random.
90 Draenei Warrior
12/20/2012 01:48 PMPosted by Yindar

The thing is that in "old" LFR, duplicate items could still drop. The system didn't look at the raid and say "Oh, it looks like these three guys already have shoulders. Lets drop some boots instead." You could still kill the same LFR boss weeks in a row and see the same drops over and over.

It still happens, just on an individual basis. You can still vendor duplicates for gold. Passing on loot, winning loot, or not winning loot never has an effect on the next boss' loot.

The only thing that's different in any way is that your roll/loot has no affect on other peoples roll/loot.
90 Human Warlock
12/20/2012 01:56 PMPosted by Evaren

The thing is that in "old" LFR, duplicate items could still drop. The system didn't look at the raid and say "Oh, it looks like these three guys already have shoulders. Lets drop some boots instead." You could still kill the same LFR boss weeks in a row and see the same drops over and over.

It still happens, just on an individual basis. You can still vendor duplicates for gold. Passing on loot, winning loot, or not winning loot never has an effect on the next boss' loot.

The only thing that's different in any way is that your roll/loot has no affect on other peoples roll/loot.

So if your going to change something why make it worse and not better??
90 Draenei Warrior

How is it worse? The only difference is that you winning loot doesn't cause other people to lose it. Sounds better to me.
16 Goblin Hunter
12/20/2012 02:07 PMPosted by Precipitate

If they actually had made it worse, you might almost have a point, but this is no worse than the "previous" system. You have a random chance to get some loot. What other people get has no impact on what you get. If you are lucky and get some loot, it is going to be something that your *could* use - so no more plate dropping for clothies. If you *do* get loot, the loot you get is randomly determined. You might get the same loot three, four, five times in a row - that is what random means. Under the "old" system, you could see the same loot drop three, four, five times in a row. I must've run some of the WotLK heroics 30 or more times waiting to even *see* "my" trinket drop and Ghod alone knows how many tank weapons and trinkets I (and other DPS in my groups) vendored waiting for the one decent drop I was after.

The system has *never* checked to see what you had before deciding what loot drops, so nothing is "worse" with the new LFR loot system.
90 Human Warlock

How is it worse? The only difference is that you winning loot doesn't cause other people to lose it. Sounds better to me.

So people getting loot that they dont need or already have is better then getting loot you need or could use? Alrighty, glad philosophy was your major at university. All that is needed is a little tiny script. That can state to pass the role on to another individual that has a lower ilvl in that slot. This is Logical, if you can not trade the item. Make gear as random as possible, that is not the issue.
90 Draenei Warrior

So people getting loot that they dont need or already have is better then getting loot you need or could use? Alrighty, glad philosophy was your major at university. All that is needed is a little tiny script. That can state to pass the role on to another individual that has a lower ilvl in that slot. This is Logical, if you can not trade the item. Make gear as random as possible, that is not the issue.

I can tell you're not understanding what I'm saying, nor does it seem you understand how the current loot system works. I'd suggest learning about that before making suggestions on how to "fix" it.
90 Human Warlock
12/20/2012 02:19 PMPosted by Znixi

If they actually had made it worse, you might almost have a point, but this is no worse than the "previous" system. You have a random chance to get some loot. What other people get has no impact on what you get. If you are lucky and get some loot, it is going to be something that your *could* use - so no more plate dropping for clothies. If you *do* get loot, the loot you get is randomly determined. You might get the same loot three, four, five times in a row - that is what random means. Under the "old" system, you could see the same loot drop three, four, five times in a row. I must've run some of the WotLK heroics 30 or more times waiting to even *see* "my" trinket drop and Ghod alone knows how many tank weapons and trinkets I (and other DPS in my groups) vendored waiting for the one decent drop I was after.

The system has *never* checked to see what you had before deciding what loot drops, so nothing is "worse" with the new LFR loot system.

They took out the Need/greed function and didnt replace it with anything. So yes it is worse. Before you wouldn't need a 390i lvl staff when you had a 410i lvl stafff? Well now you get the staff while the poor guy with the green staff gets nothing. This is better...?
90 Human Warlock

I can tell you're not understanding what I'm saying, nor does it seem you understand how the current loot system works. I'd suggest learning about that before making suggestions on how to "fix" it.

MM no, sorry. All i am saying is they need a script to replace the Need/greed function. I understand loot is random.... In a single Sha fight i received 496i gloves which i already have for locks. A friend, also a lock received pants from Sha which he already has. OK still with me? SO before, we could trade and be happy, but instead both are like WTF. A small tinsy little winny script can determine that OOH wait. Lets switch the loot rolls so they could use the item... I'm not saying change the drops off the boss for individuals. But what loot does drop make it count... Allow peeps to get the gear they need.
90 Pandaren Mage
12/20/2012 01:41 PMPosted by Precipitate

Did you ever think that they don't WANT you to get every piece of loot you need every single time?

Random is random. Deal with the fact that sometimes you won't get what you need.
55 Pandaren Monk
The problem you having an issue with is not a programming one, it is a philosophical one. If you research a bit, you will find that the Devs so far like loot being random - it is by intent.

There was a recent post on the EU forums discussing this issue, you can find a link to it on mmo-champion.

And to add - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/4736886

Here is a model I’ve seen some people say they want:

• The boss dies.
  • I get the exact item or items I want.
  • I never have to come back and kill this boss again.
  • I politely ask Blizzard when there will be new content for me to run.

I added that, somewhat tongue in cheek, to point out that the intent of the new system is not to make killing bosses or getting loot more efficient, or to let you choose buffet-style which items you get. We like random loot being random, as long as it isn’t so frustratingly random that you stop enjoying the experience. The intent of the new loot system is really to relieve social pressure on a group of random and anonymous strangers. We think it is reasonable for groups of friends, such as the typical raiding guild, to have a discussion about how to divvy up loot. That discussion is a tried and true RPG tradition going back to D&D or earlier. We don’t think that is a reasonable expectation for Raid Finder, though.
Edited by Musashi on 12/20/2012 3:00 PM PST
85 Tauren Druid
There was a blue post about this, but I can't find it at the moment. >.<

Anyways, if you always won gear you needed and didn't have, then there would be no incentive to raid.

You would end up getting geared out very quickly, and run out of raids to do. And then you would be complaining that there wasn't any new content (raids) to run for even more gear.

That's why you will, at times, get gear you already have. It helps to make the content last longer and encourage you to run it again.

It would be a pretty boring game if you were instantly gratified with a piece of gear you needed every time you killed a boss and won the roll.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]