Druid RP

89 Worgen Druid
In another thread someone wrote:

Also I simply cannot stand seeing druids RPing in catform in cities like Stormwind, or even worse Ironforge.

Why would a druid of the claw not prefer to be in cat form? Or bear form? Or whatever they feel comfortable as?

In addition, what about a worgen who doesn't go back into a human form? Is that just like, people are going to be freaked out and afraid all the time? (It certainly seems like the process of transformation is more than a little painful, so being able to avoid it might be something they'd be interested in? At least, if they accepted the form themselves?)

Beyond the IC reason, anything I do as my character (except trade skills) has her transform, including shifting from human -> any druid form -> back. Even *if* I wanted her to always walk around in human form in cities, it's kind of non-trivial?
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I don't think city guards (apart from those in darnassus) would be okay with huge cats walking around. Sure, they might be aware they are druids. But what about civilians? It could cause some problems. What if you saw someone walking around with a tiger at his side?

Also, if they are a druid of claw (which prefer bear form, as far as we are aware), why would he be in stormwind or ironforge at all?

Also, the main problem is a huge portion of cat rp in cities are house cats, or very un-druid things, like looking for snuggles or for fish or whatever. Not as an actual person using a sacred ancient power/loa blessing to turn himself into a extremely powerful creature.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Mage
I'd say that more or less covers it.
Edited by Rosyllyn on 12/23/2012 5:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
But why would a druid of the claw not prefer to be in cat form? Or bear form? Or whatever they feel comfortable as?

One is a matter of wild verse settlement. If you saw a bear ambling down your main street, you and a dozen other people are going to call your animal control services. In more rural areas it might just get shot. In this 'verse you can't presume the locals know a druid when they see one. Similar things could be said about hunter's pet; they would want to be sure to keep them close until they found good housing for them, and I can't imagine a lot of establishments would want your crazy beasts drooling on their merchandise, marking the corners, or pooping on the floor. Your beasts generally weren't raised that way either, they might be easy with you, but it doesn't mean they'd feel that easy in the congestion and confusion of a city.

Another is there are many eye-rolls when a Druid expects to be treated like a domesticated house pet. One of the reasons they take these forms is for the ferocity of their nature.

While crazy magic abounds, there are not many species that have the ability of telepathic communication, why would a Druid suddenly be able to do so in the form of a lesser-evolved creature? I'll give that there is obviously enough of the Druids sentience that, with practice, it might be able to make short worded replies or commands when in a creature form, but as that creature, how can it hold an involved conversation when its mouth and larynx are not developed that way?

I can see a Druid enjoying their forms very much, but you are a Humanoid who can take the form of a beast, not a beast pretending to be a Humanoid from time to time. You were born a humanoid, raised a humanoid, will die a humanoid, which form do you think you should really be more comfortable in? I would think, while druid peers would expect you to be physically comfortable in that form, if your were to feel more comfortable psychologically, it might be considered as being out of balance with your natural self.

12/21/2012 02:56 PMPosted by Råyne
what about a worgen

Again, you would still be regarded as pretty damn shocking among common folk. In a larger urban centre with a Worgen community within, you may find corners where you could let your hair hang down, out, and all over, but the risk of a bad reaction towards you increases in smaller communities, and rural areas. You can't expect the general public to understand your nature (you’re still kind of new to the public at large), and what they might have heard, second-hand stories, exaggerated beyond proportion in either positive or negative aspects (despite your participation in Harvest Fest: not everyone in the land gets to Stormwind for it). You'd feel most comfortable with people you trust in your Worgen form. I’d expect even Draenei got, “Ahhh! Blue Demon!” when they first started roaming the lands.

And the same might be said about the ferocity of the Worgen form as the Druid beasts form. You have embraced the beast, and again you might enjoy the form in less harried circumstances, but it's a dynamic of yourself you call on when needed, when threatened, or in the field of war, and your self-control is exemplified by returning to your Human form at will.
Reply Quote
89 Worgen Druid
I think you've all successfully made me realize that I should never play a character on the Alliance, and that all of this talk about RP is kind of so thinly veiled of taking our world values and placing them into Azeroth I'm kind of sure I just don't want to RP at all any longer.

We have a world that (was) sustained by dragon. A world of humans, dwarves, gnomes, night elves, orcs, goblins, tauren, trolls, pandaran, undead, and draenei.

A world where a dragon literally broke the world.

A world where there remains a dark portal connecting ours the the shattered remains of another.

A world where elementals and ancient old gods war.

But a dwarf walking down the street with a bear is going to freak everyone out.

But a worgen, who can't even help it much of the time, would be seen as a freak and monster to be feared.

I'm sorry for my naivety. I didn't realise Azeroth was just earth, and everyone is actually just humans who are taller, shorter, or have bigger beards. My mistake.
Edited by Råyne on 12/23/2012 10:39 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I was going to respond but...not even worth , the ignorance is astounding. All I can do is reiterate this.

I don't think city guards (apart from those in darnassus) would be okay with huge cats walking around. Sure, they might be aware they are druids. But what about civilians? It could cause some problems. What if you saw someone walking around with a tiger at his side?

Also, if they are a druid of claw (which prefer bear form, as far as we are aware), why would he be in stormwind or ironforge at all?

Also, the main problem is a huge portion of cat rp in cities are house cats, or very un-druid things, like looking for snuggles or for fish or whatever. Not as an actual person using a sacred ancient power/loa blessing to turn himself into a extremely powerful creature.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Why would a druid of the claw not prefer to be in cat form? Or bear form? Or whatever they feel comfortable as?

Because they're an Elf, not a cat.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I think there is something else to consider here as well. Not everywhere but in some of the rp I have seen people act out their animal fantasies in a very intimate way. They have a name for this behavior, they are called furries. They like to be in their animal form because it gives them a way to be scratched on their tummies, diplsying for all the world to see, their private parts.

So when you see a cat rolling over and having its belly scratched think of the human behind that character and ask yourself if it is a guy who is getting his jollies by being "petted" by someone....is that a comfortable thing for you to see or be subjected to?

In your animal form, even if you are covered with fur, you are essentially without clothing. Think about it...this is why a lot of people frown on it. Not necessarily true for everyone, and I know that.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Just because we (the heroes) are used to fighting elemental lords, ancients, eternals, demi gods, lovecraftian eldritch horrors and Milhouse Manastorm, it doesn't mean Ol' Emma is used or even aware of all that. Deathwing wrecking stormwind was probably the first time most of those civilians ever saw a dragon up close.

You clearly came here looking for people to support your own argument, and not to be critized. I suggest not exposing your opinion if you aren't willing to being scrutinized or criticized.
Reply Quote
12/23/2012 10:37 AMPosted by Råyne
We have a world that (was) sustained by dragon.

Not sustained, were guardians of, very, very, discretely. And through forms of corruption some have created not so discrete havock.

A world of humans, dwarves, gnomes, night elves, orcs, goblins, tauren, trolls, pandaran, undead, and draenei.

And one half doesn't get along with the other for various reasons, and not all branches in either of the respective fractions get along that well either.

A world where a dragon literally broke the world.

Some more of that havoc I mentioned.

A world where elementals and ancient old gods war.

All of the above reasons for the hapless masses to be paranoid of "something other"

I'm sorry for my naivety. I didn't realise Azeroth was just earth, and everyone is actually just humans who are taller, shorter, or have bigger beards. My mistake.

This is not a fantasy of peace, love, and tolerance either. I'm sorry you didn't like the answers you were given, but was it our mistake to give them and the pragmatism behind them to you when you asked?
Edited by Brandbombe on 12/23/2012 2:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I'm sorry OP but you came here looking for answers and got some pretty darn good ones. If you're going to attack the other posters and accuse them of inserting their world values into RP (which they're not doing at all), then that's on you.

At no point did they ever say "you can't do this" or "you can't do that", all they did was explain why, in a practical situation, walking around in bear or cat or worgen form in the middle of a crowded city probably wouldn't be ok.

Naturally this doesn't stop the tens of hundreds of RP'ers who do it every day, and again, neither I nor they are saying it's the "wrong" way to RP. What we *are* saying is that, because of the non-practical (I hesitate to use the word "realistic" but in a loose sense it can apply too) nature of druids acting like housecats and/or worgen walking around in their feral form or hunters using their bears as a footrest in a tavern, those who choose to engage in such RP activities tend to not be taken seriously and often earn the ire of other RP'ers around them.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Doesn't staying in animal form too long affect the druid as well? Savagekin and such? Please correct me if I got it wrong.

I imagine worgen are tolerated a little bit more than druids in animal forms, since there is a worgen auctioneer at Stormwind, but I would imagine them still being looked at with wary eyes. Worgen are also Gilneans, and some of the human citizens should feel some dislike or distrust for them simply because of that. They did give the Alliance the middle finger and seal themselves away while the rest of them faced the Scourge.

My worgen DK stays in worgen form because he doesn't believe in taking a "weaker" form. I would love to find RP outside of Stormwind for this guy, but my knowledge of Ally RP on WrA is very limited.

My other worgen can't take human form because his soul isn't in balance. This came from the Curse of the Worgen comic where worgen go through the ceremony to control their beast forms, but they cannot learn to transform unless they are at balance with themselves, such as getting over a loss, or being accepted by family in the case of Darius Crowley. This worgen spends his time in the bar, being drunk and grouchy.

Again, if I'm wrong, please correct me.
Edited by Kailiang on 12/23/2012 2:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
12/23/2012 01:48 PMPosted by Kailiang
My worgen DK stays in worgen form because he doesn't believe in taking a "weaker" form. I would love to find RP outside of Stormwind for this guy, but my knowledge of Ally RP on WrA is very limited.

As far as I'm aware, the ally side is actually more out in the open than the horde side in WrA. Less "clanish", more random rp.
Reply Quote
While the NPC villagers aren’t going to actually rise up with pitchforks and torches and chase you out of town, or city guards follow you about to make sure you don’t bother decent folk, obviously, you should not be too surprised if players ICly give you suspicious glares, and cool welcomes. Especially your DK, he’s sort of double damned. But that’s ok, as long as you realize and understand why that would be ICly, and if someone brings up polite opposition OOCly, you’re ready with your polite explanation.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
12/23/2012 02:18 PMPosted by Kalad
As far as I'm aware, the ally side is actually more out in the open than the horde side in WrA. Less "clanish", more random rp.

I've tried asking Ally side and all I got were troll responses ("Go to Goldshire!" "Go to Orgrimmar!") or places in Stormwind, which is where I -don't- want to RP. I guess I'll try asking in the WrA forums. Thanks for responding though!

While the NPC villagers aren’t going to actually rise up with pitchforks and torches and chase you out of town, or city guards follow you about to make sure you don’t bother decent folk, obviously, you should not be too surprised if players ICly give you suspicious glares, and cool welcomes. Especially your DK, he’s sort of double damned. But that’s ok, as long as you realize and understand why that would be ICly, and if someone brings up polite opposition OOCly, you’re ready with your polite explanation.

Oh, I'm aware.

My worgen DK, though, is a fighter with a big ego. He seeks battle, glory, and power. He shouldn't be hanging out in Stormwind. It's not so much how people would react to him in Stormwind, it's just that being in Stormwind all the time wouldn't fit the character concept I'm going for.
Edited by Kailiang on 12/24/2012 6:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
EDITED: Double post
Edited by Kailiang on 12/24/2012 6:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I think there is something else to consider here as well. Not everywhere but in some of the rp I have seen people act out their animal fantasies in a very intimate way. They have a name for this behavior, they are called furries. They like to be in their animal form because it gives them a way to be scratched on their tummies, diplsying for all the world to see, their private parts.

So when you see a cat rolling over and having its belly scratched think of the human behind that character and ask yourself if it is a guy who is getting his jollies by being "petted" by someone....is that a comfortable thing for you to see or be subjected to?

In your animal form, even if you are covered with fur, you are essentially without clothing. Think about it...this is why a lot of people frown on it. Not necessarily true for everyone, and I know that.

You're obviously new here. That is not what a furry is. What your describing is plain !@#$%^-*!. Go do your internet subculture research.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
So I need to research? Ok I did a quick one through Bing and found this, only one of dozens. I do not think my thoughts were that far off. and I only said it as a warning to people who think it is so innocent to run around as an animal. There are some who are attracted to the furry craze that are downright disgusting. And like I said, I 'know' it is not all of them, but they are out there.

http://www.godhatesfurries.com/
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
For reference, the main body of the "furry" culture think the out and open pervert furries are just as bad as you do. It doesn't matter what the fetish is, putting it out in the open like that is in poor taste, and it gives the ones who are sensible about it look bad.

I mean, hell, even within the main furry culture that has a bit more dignity, there are still people who will say "yeah, sure, some of us are into that," but the difference is who has the dignity, self-control and decency to keep their kinks private.

***BUT!*** On the actual druid topic.

I tend to leave it alone, but my one comment about that I tried to make with a druid of my own (which I abandoned for unrelated reasons), is that one of his quirks is that he was a fairly old-fashioned druid. He would look at most druid RPers, the ones who hang out in animal form, and nitpick. Accuse them of disrespecting the form they wear by doing things like talking (at all), or acting like a domesticated animal instead of a creature of the wild.

"The cat does not speak as an elf... how can you expect to master the form if you cannot grasp the mannerisms that come with it?"

He'd come off as a bit of a prick maybe, but it'd be a bit of a statement about druid RP.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]