not a raider..... :(

90 Draenei Death Knight
Hold on... If you are close to 480 or at around 485. I consider that top gear.

If you really mean top gear like 500 item level, then you won't reach it until the next LFR 5.2

Why worry about being top when you are casual?

I'm a boomkin with 482 item level. I am close to top in DPS in LFR on any boss fight. So to me that's top already.

It's like brand names, everyone wants the top brand. It's not necessary. People who are infatuated with top means they will work their butt off for it or hardcore. I been there... not worth it.

Just the way the world works.

I couldn't agree more with this.
90 Draenei Paladin
01/03/2013 12:44 PMPosted by Kynsierra
keep in mind I am not here to gripe i still love to play the game I just wish there were a way to get the top ilvl gear without raiding..

There is not now nore should there ever be a way to get the top gear without raiding (my opinion). However the 2nd tier down should never again be locked behind a raid.

As for the stuff your currently drooling over, it will soon be valor gear with raiders getting the next level of coolness availible. It is the way of things here in wow.
87 Human Warlock
01/03/2013 01:37 PMPosted by Clottibby
You basically want to use a tank to hunt deer ..... pointless.

Pfftt. Clearly you've never been face to face with a super deer.
100 Blood Elf Hunter
01/03/2013 02:13 PMPosted by Notsensible

THE HORROR!!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39571658@N05/3985097824/
14 Night Elf Hunter
eh you can get closer than ever before just doing dailies, Blizzard is practically handing your gear to you if you don't want to raid - you just have to do a billion repeatable quests.

You really have no right to complain at the current state of the game for the non raider. It's better than it ever has been (if you don't mind dailies).

Course, I DO mind dailies...

You seem to forget that at the beginning of a expac faction gear is on par with raid lvl drops. As soon as the first raid patch comes out it is no longer because ilvl on faction gear doesn't improve. 5.2 give raiders the option to buy vp from a raid faction. But since only one other faction is added I doubt questers will be able to upgrade all their pieces if any at all. So the gap will increase with every raid patch.
100 Blood Elf Hunter
You seem to forget that at the beginning of a expac faction gear is on par with raid lvl drops. As soon as the first raid patch comes out it is no longer because ilvl on faction gear doesn't improve. 5.2 give raiders the option to buy vp from a raid faction. But since only one other faction is added I doubt questers will be able to upgrade all their pieces if any at all. So the gap will increase with every raid patch.

Yes, but new LFR will come out with not quite as good but still good gear. And since LFR does not require a time commitment in anyway (you can join the queue anytime, leave the queue anytime, and leave the instance anytime), then there is no need for a solo path to amazing gear.
100 Draenei Mage
01/03/2013 01:19 PMPosted by Totemless

and this I think was the biggest mistake blizz ever made - valor/rep gear should not be on par with raid drops.

people who don't raid, should have NO expectation of having gear on par with raiders

I definitely agree valor/rep gear being on par with raid gear is WoW's biggest mistake. The game was more fun with RNG gearing.

With non-RNG stuff now (for those of us who are non-heroic raiders), the game just feels like a checklist of chores instead of a game. With the predictability, it's just starting to feel like watching last year's Super Bowl when you already know who will win, by how much, and pretty much every play that will happen throughout the game. I know I'll do 200 dailies or 25 dungeons or whatever mix of VP content for 1.25 weeks for my 496 ring, then another 1.25 weeks for my 496 boots, etc. There's no game to it any more, it's just tracking a spreadsheet and making sure you keep up with your chores.

I totally see and appreciate your point, but the game was more fun for YOU with just RNG gearing.

I am pretty burnt out on raiding, and using lfg, kinda makes me nauseous to think about. I am also a goal oriented person and I like the fact that my time in will result in a guaranteed reward and I get a sense of accomplishment doing it all myself.

Blizz did a great job this expansion with catering to everyone and everyone's playstyle (shush pvpers, we know...we know), though I know people had issues with double gaiting reps.

And raiders will end up with better gearz and toys and titles and whatever else Blizz tosses out to them as it should be. They will also get the stuff faster as they can and will double dip.
14 Night Elf Hunter
I personally think that the way it's working now, is good. The most involved and time consuming activities award the best gear. If there were some other activity that had the same involvement and skill, then I wouldn't be opposed to getting good gear out of it. As it is now though, I don't see any activity in game that would constitute having better gear (PVE related at least).

But...why would you want the "good gear" if you are unable to, or have no intention, of raiding in it?

There are so many other uses to having better gear. Everything is easier with better gear, including brawler's guild (where high dps is key to beating timers), Solo'ing old raids (can still require high dps/heals/stam/etc), and even questing.

I mean, with that same line of thinking; Why does heroic raids give gear at all? Those raids were beat in the gear they received in lower raids. If a group can beat a heroic raid in 496 gear, then why would you "need" 509 gear to drop. It's not a "need" though, it's a want. You want to complete the raid faster and more efficiently, however it's not technically "needed".

Everything gets easier with better gear. I can even solo older dungeons/raids if I have better gear. I don't have to worry about mana in heroics if I have better gear. And you are right, why do heroic raids drop better gear if the bosses can be killed in the lower gear. And lets face it, it's the carrot on the stick. Take it away and you loose half your subscriptions.
87 Human Warlock
01/03/2013 02:21 PMPosted by Shaysu

THE HORROR!!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39571658@N05/3985097824/

... we're gonna need something a lot bigger than a tank...
90 Dwarf Warlock
If you want the shinies, you put the effort in for them.

The current VP system and LFR are in place for people who don't want to put the effort into big boy raiding.
Community Manager
If you're pressed for time and your goal is to see and experience raid content, LFR(Looking For Raid) is available and a relatively accessible way to experience that content. The item levels dropped from LFR isn't as high end as those from Heroic modes, but your character's item level doesn't have to be the sole barometer of how much fun you're having.
Edited by Rygarius on 1/3/2013 2:40 PM PST
90 Human Priest
If you don't raid, you don't get raid gear.

If you don't finish high school, you don't get a high school diploma.

What you're asking for is the equivalent of asking for a high school diploma even though you paid all of your school fees but failed all your classes because you never showed up.

You don't do the work, you don't get the rewards. Period. End of story.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
The first thing I have to say is, if people that played an hour a day and weren't putting in nearly as much effort (No offense) why should they receive the same benefits/rewards as those that are committing a lot of their free time to downing high end bosses? There wouldn't be a point to raiding/playing more which does not make sense.

Also if why do you need heroic ilvl gear if you aren't participating in heroic raids/bosses, just doesn't seem like it makes sense. In lower lvls of gear you can achieve most things, no need for heroic ilvl unless you plan on progression raiding. I am not trying to offend you in any way, just pointing things out.
Edited by Zoaxlis on 1/3/2013 2:44 PM PST
90 Human Mage
01/03/2013 02:39 PMPosted by Rygarius
your character's item level doesn't have to be the sole barometer of how much fun you're having.

Wonderfully said
90 Human Rogue
01/03/2013 12:44 PMPosted by Dako
But...why would you want the "good gear" if you are unable to, or have no intention, of raiding in it?
14 Night Elf Hunter
01/03/2013 02:25 PMPosted by Shaysu

Yes, but new LFR will come out with not quite as good but still good gear. And since LFR does not require a time commitment in anyway (you can join the queue anytime, leave the queue anytime, and leave the instance anytime), then there is no need for a solo path to amazing gear.

LFR seems to be the answer these days just as heroics were in Cata. Thank you. I rather don't progress.
90 Human Mage
01/03/2013 02:47 PMPosted by Littledeer
LFR seems to be the answer these days just as heroics were in Cata. Thank you. I rather don't progress.

so, what, you want heroic raiding ilvl gear from questing only?

that's not only ridiculous, it's outright stupid
75 Human Hunter
01/03/2013 02:49 PMPosted by Anastasiia

so, what, you want heroic raiding ilvl gear from questing only?

that's not only ridiculous, it's outright stupid
never stupid to want pretty gear that helps you kill mobs faster!
90 Orc Hunter
I am posting this only to get opinions because it kinda stinks that to get the GOOD gear you have to raid to get it and I don't have time to join up and go raiding with groups. really I am disgruntled because I pay my hard earned money just like everyone else and can't get the top gear. yes I have been playing for a while and I am working my way thru all the dailies to get the good gear and am close to ilvl 480 now but unless something changes will never see over 500 with the big boyz.... i wish there was a way we could get top PVE gear without raiding is my whole point..

it would be nice to achieve the "good stuff" without having to quit my career to have enough time to play and get it. on my realm you will spend no less than 1.5 hours to assemble a raid group and then get it done in without wiping 5 times...

HAPPY HUNTING "WARCRAFT RULES"

Sorry Buddy, don't have a lot of sympathy for you. I'm married, 2 small kids, full-time job, so I have as much of a 'real life' as anyone. I don't have a lot of spare time and yet I MADE time to raid. I did this by founding my own guild with raid hours and times that work for me. Now I raid 2 nights a week for a total of 6 hours. Anything is possible if you really want it.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]