The healer dilemma

100 Pandaren Priest
Yawn, snore, roflstomp, /dance, fire my Rainbow Generator, boooriiing, ... ohwait I have to pay attention this fight ahrAAHHHGH... dead.

Healing isn't necessarily difficult, but there IS a drastic change in awareness required when you reach something that's not a faceroll. I find that once I've fallen into autopilot snooze mode, anything that's a challenge suddenly becomes much harder than it should be, and I'm really not sure how to combat this.

It's not just healing mechanics that get fumbled either, just shoddy play in general. Kiting on Garalon, positioning on Bladelord, controlling adds on Elegon, timing heals on Tsulong. I can handle all those things, really!

Would it help to deliberately handicap myself on the stupidly easy stuff, like doing Spirit Kings with no weapon equipped? Take a break and play QWOP for a few minutes to clear the easymode haze out of my head before doing the bosses that are actually meaningful? Megadose on caffeine so I'm physically incapable of zoning out?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
I'm not sure exactly what the dilemma is here...
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Well, depends on your raid team, but you could always ask the tank to pull all the trash at once for some more excitement. Or ask him to take his shirt off so he has less health or whatever ;)

But seriously, I completely sympathize with you on this. The swing from super slow lazy heals to "OMG we're gonna die" is quite the shock. Maybe trying to spice up the easier stuff with more trash mobs or less good gear could help keep you sharp. If others are willing of course.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
My general plan in these situations is to look for interesting ways to use my other abilities when healing is light. I try to maximise my DPS, or get all the interrupts, or dispels, or find new spots to hide my Healing Stream Totem with Projection :)

This keeps me active during the fight, gets me used to watching things that I haven't necessarily had to watch before, and I think in all ends up improving my play. And it means that I'm actually thinking the whole night, and I don't get into that auto-piloty zombie zone that makes it difficult to adapt when fights suddenly become challenging.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I never really had this problem, but that's because when I showed up to raid, I came to play, and I came to win. Otherwise, I would feel like I was wasting everyone else's time. It's simple respect for the others in your raid, really.

I guess you could say that I *combatted* this problem by trying to push my throughput and longevity as far as possible on the easy stuff. You can learn a lot by doing this, in an environment that is *real,* yet one where it doesn't matter if you push too far, or make other such errors.

Alternatively, you could bring an alt to the easy fights.

Riôt
Edited by Riôt on 12/19/2012 4:39 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Drop a healer for a dps? That should make things interesting.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
12/18/2012 04:53 PMPosted by Breathkeeper
Healing isn't necessarily difficult, but there IS a drastic change in awareness required when you reach something that's not a faceroll.

My raid team combats this with "accidental" pulls, and clearing trash with only 5 ppl there. Sometimes there are no tanks for trash. Our hunter also likes to help out with random MDs and lots of feign death'ing'.

But yes I completely sympathize. Going from dungeons were I spend more time dps'ing than healing to suddenly having to pay attn to cds and health bars can be a bit of a shock.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Priest
I do try to dish out damage already, but since those aren't the buttons I need under pressure, I don't think that'll help as much. Simply keeping busy is different from reacting quickly and effectively.

Overpulling trash might help, in the places that's even possible. I'm not entirely sure the other healers would like it, but they can chill during bosses. Adding some chaos would definitely help, predictability is the root of the problem.

I guess I also just need to run dungeons with guild tanks that are reckless chain-pullers. Most of the ones in LFD are *way* too timid for me, and I can't drop a Hand of Protection on them to spice things up. If healing in general comes to be a snooze, it's too easy to default to that mode when a raid starts.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I do try to dish out damage already, but since those aren't the buttons I need under pressure, I don't think that'll help as much. Simply keeping busy is different from reacting quickly and effectively.

Overpulling trash might help, in the places that's even possible. I'm not entirely sure the other healers would like it, but they can chill during bosses. Adding some chaos would definitely help, predictability is the root of the problem.

I guess I also just need to run dungeons with guild tanks that are reckless chain-pullers. Most of the ones in LFD are *way* too timid for me, and I can't drop a Hand of Protection on them to spice things up. If healing in general comes to be a snooze, it's too easy to default to that mode when a raid starts.

Zone in and say "fast and hard, please." you'll get a laugh, a giggity, and the FASTEST most egdge of your seat run you've ever went through. Seriously. It's fricking awesome. WEEEEEEEEEEEEEE The tank's a yoyo, just watch his health bar!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
You could just try paying attention to what's going on around you.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Priest
12/20/2012 05:26 AMPosted by Paladius
You could just try paying attention to what's going on around you.
Try staring at something on your desk for 45 minutes to see if it moves on its own or does anything else unexpected. Do you think you can give it your undivided attention for that long? Doubt it.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
So the dilemma here is that OP zones out during easy encounters and can't re-focus for more difficult encounters? Seems fine to me. I like that I can autopilot for the first four bosses of MSV.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]