The downside of a PvP gear equivalency?

90 Tauren Druid
What is the downside to having a quick catch up system in terms of PvP gear?

Bad players get gear faster? Congratulations to them and their ability to now at least compete fairly with other bad players. Just because they have the T2 gear, doesn't mean they can compete with the skill caliber that is present in 2000+ ratings. I'm not even saying I could, but when I get 4 shot by that warrior with full T2 gear in my T1 gear, its not really a skill competition at that point. His purples hit harder than my purples heal.

Alts get gear faster? I don't see why that is a bad thing at all. I rolled a monk to PvP with my brother and I played that monk mainly for the first... maybe week of PvP. They sucked horribly, then I had to attempt to level and gear my druid. It's not possible to catch up, just get further behind. It wasn't my fault that my class was awful for PvP, stop punishing me for playing a class I wanted to play but then realized sucked.

Removes the value of a gear aspect of the MMO game genre that many players enjoy? I can see that being a valid point in the eyes of a game dev, but in every day players' eyes, its less than practical. I'm rather confident in this statement of, "Players who PvP, don't PvP for long unless they are in it to beat other players more so than for better gear." I don't arena so I can PvP harder in BGs. I do it so I can prove myself as a good player. Gear in this day and age means almost nothing in that regards. Most of it is available on the BMAH and Sha anyways.

Use easy to attain PvP gear in PvE fights? That's a problem addressed by PvP power and PvP resil. Only thing needs to be done is tweek the numbers on PvP items and abilities. I understand that it can be a vast adjustment based on stat % bonus items and talents. It's more drastic than this sentence makes it seem, but then again, I'm sure there is enough brain power in the Dev team to make it work out. The popularity of this game is prove of that.

I don't see a logical downside of PvP gear equivalency among players. I understand that Reckful is 100x the PvP player I will ever probably be. I just don't understand why I can't get a fair ground to test and practice. He gets over 1k more conquest a week than I do due to his higher rating. If I did somehow become as good as he is, I still couldn't compete because I can never catch up gear wise. I can also never really practice at a higher level because again, I'm not allowed to catch up.

I'm not trying to advocate completely free gear, that's just dumb. But more so, why is Reckful able to have say 50k conquest points with his higher cap. And I'm stuck at 30k conquest points with my lower cap.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
Yeah it seems that they want people to have to gear up on regular servers in order to encourage their special arena servers that give access to full gear at the start.
Edited by Khalique on 1/2/2013 5:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
Here it is, the cold hard truth:

While some of us would gladly take rewards such as awesome xmog, mounts, titles, tabards, ect.

A large majority, whether admitted or not, want to be able to queue up in their ridiculous gear, and faceroll someone else to death without even trying

If everyone truly wanted gear equivilency, then we'd have it. There wouldve been such an uproar that blizzard wouldve already done it. But they dont.

People complain and complain about gear, or classes, etc. And then they reroll the class, or they get the sword theyve been getting owned with. Then they proceed to own others with it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
01/02/2013 05:40 PMPosted by Stunshine
People complain and complain about gear, or classes, etc. And then they reroll the class, or they get the sword theyve been getting owned with. Then they proceed to own others with it.
Are you suggesting we all wear dreadful or something to make the playing field even because I don't think there's anything wrong with using a good sword if you have it.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
The only people that would complain about this are pvers which you acknowledged and newly 2200 players.
Reply Quote
01/02/2013 06:09 PMPosted by Burnthesky
Are you suggesting we all wear dreadful or something to make the playing field even because I don't think there's anything wrong with using a good sword if you have it.

So then dont complain when the T2 2/2 Warrior caves your face in within the shockwave stun.

Because its no different when your caving some all Blues wearing shaman with your t1 weapon.

And no, im not suggesting that. Because no one is going to go by the "honor system" and pinkie swear that we all wear the same gear.

The only way it'll be an even playing field is if blizzard MAKES it an even playing field.

On a side note. Yes, theres something very wrong with it, unless you were perfectly fine with cata rogues running around with legendary daggers and vial.

Hey, i mean, we couldnt just let it sit there in our bags going UNUSED, right?
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Completely agree with OP. Although I admit I rather enjoy smashing the hell out of someone in greens and PVE blues I know that for them it must suck the same way it sucks when someone in full S12 elite gear facerolls me with my T1. I understand the idea behind making it take time to get geared, and I think that's fine, but there needs to be some sort of catch-up allowed to those who have to miss a week, got a late start on an alt, etc.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
no honor farming for gear = people stop botting or get bored

people get bored and stop botting = people unsub

unsub = less $ for bli$$ard

equal gear = no one pays for arena tournament (because you have equal gear on live)

no one pays for arena tourny = no money for bli$$ard

tl;dr: bli$$ard likes $
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Making it too easy to gear up a new toon encourages FOTM rerolling. It makes it even easier for good players to dominate the ladders. Not that I really care personally, but it needs to be considered. Imagine having the top ~100 players on each bgroup having 4 toons each. It would cause massive rating deflation amongst all but the best players. It would actually make arena much more difficult for the majority of players.

What they really need to do is make the disparity of conquest point gains between low-end and high-end players smaller. And they need to make the overall point gains something around 1 piece per week, so you can't really get THAT far behind.

Lastly, they need to get rid of the retarded difference between arena and RBG point gains.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]