I wish Resto Druid Mastery was different

90 Night Elf Druid
The current mastery is this:
Your direct healing is increased by an additional X% and casting your direct healing spells grants you an additional X% bonus to periodic healing for 20 sec.

This would be so much better so we aren't sniped so much:
Your direct healing is increased by an additional X% and casting your direct healing spells causes periodic healing spells, except Lifebloom, to instantly heal targets for X% of the periodic effect. Lasts 20 sec.

This change of mastery would obviously weaken Lifebloom, but that could be fixed by changing the spell coefficient to bring it back in line.

Druid heals don't need to be buffed necessarily. They just need to have more power on the front end.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Base numbers are the issue, not mastery. I still believe reverting the Wild Growth nerf and reducing Rejuvenation's mana cost are the first two steps.

In World of Smart Heals, HoTs feel like a very weak mechanic in comparison and should be looked at.
Edited by Mintia on 12/17/2012 8:28 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Base numbers are the issue, not mastery. I still believe reverting the Wild Growth nerf and reducing Rejuvenation's mana cost are the first two steps.

In World of Smart Heals, HoTs feel like a very weak mechanic in comparison and should be looked at.

But that's what this suggestion is trying to resolve.

I agree with you that in this stage of WoW hots are overall weak and situational and our class was designed around the concept of HoTs. But that was back in the 40-man raid days where:

• Every healer didn't have smart heals. They didn't exist.
  • Only 20% (8/40) of your raid was healers instead of 24% (6/25). (Disclaimer: Your raid numbers may vary.)
  • Burst damage in PVE was very rare if non-existent (depending on how far back you want to go).

I can't really say I expect the encounters to change, so there's really two options: Our class design changes (which probably means an overhaul) or the HoT mechanic changes.

This suggestion is actually a smart idea to counter the problem that HoTs are weak when compared to smart heals and burst heals. It's a middle ground between a HoT and a single target heal. It's what Regrowth *used* to be before Regrowth became our Healing Touch, except without a cast time to balance it against the burst damage it needs to heal.

It also address the "sniping" issue for healing in raids, because an instant heal would bring someone up from 'danger zone' to 'eh an AoE/HoT will get them'.

Now, I don't know if I would implement this as a mastery change that would impact all of our hots, because that's a pretty drastic class overhaul that would need a large balance effort.

However, I would personally redesign Regrowth to do exactly this, and then tweak Healing Touch to fulfill the void left behind.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
So your desire is to make WG and RJ take on a direct heal component equal to your mastery?

Interesting, but I don't see it as necessary. Targets receiving HoTs are not in imminent danger. It's not a case of "if I don't immediately get XX hp onto these folks they'll die" -- if that were the case, you'd use a direct heal.

In addition, it would lessen the effective use of RJ on tanks, as the best part of having a RJ on a tank is to smooth out their HP fluctuations. By moving the mastery boost from increased HoT to a frontloaded direct heal portion, you'd need to time out your placing of a RJ on the tank to when they would benefit from the direct heal, and you'd be dealing with more HP fluctuations due to less constant incoming HoT on the tank.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
It's not about imminent danger. It's about sniping. Druids can go ahead and throw a Rejuv on a target at 80%, but a smart heal ends up topping the player off before most of the HoT duration. The result is a lot of overheal, which is wasted mana. It makes for awkward spell triage. Should you bother casting the Rejuv, knowing most will be wasted or don't cast until they have enough damage to make Regrowth worthwhile? With the mana costs as they are it seems like Rejuv is devalued on anything but the tank. I don't want things to go back to the days of ICC when we blanketed the entire raid with Rejuv, but now it needs to be cheaper or more front loaded. Maybe all it needs is to reduce the duration to 8 seconds, but keep the total overall healing.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
HC
It's not about imminent danger. It's about sniping. Druids can go ahead and throw a Rejuv on a target at 80%, but a smart heal ends up topping the player off before most of the HoT duration.

Sounds like you're either over healing or your healing team is just bad. If no one is in danger of imminent death then why snipe the heal? No reason to.
Edited by Sensations on 12/17/2012 6:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Smart heals snipe the majority of the time. With as many smart heals there are now I don't blame other classes for sniping. It's just how it is now. It has nothing to do with other healers not playing well.

When there's moderate raid-wide damage the other healers should be sending out their aoe healing and several of those spells are smart heals. It's not their fault if the heal lands on a target you have a Rejuv on.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
12/17/2012 06:00 PMPosted by Sensations
It's not about imminent danger. It's about sniping. Druids can go ahead and throw a Rejuv on a target at 80%, but a smart heal ends up topping the player off before most of the HoT duration.

Sounds like you're either over healing or your healing team is just bad. If no one is in danger of imminent death then why snipe the heal? No reason to.

You're assuming people are intentionally snipe healing. This isn't always the case. Healers have smart heals. Most of these smart heals are important parts of their rotation or go-to spells when a large quantity of people need health. If 3 people are at 50% and 1 person is at 80% with a Rejuv already on them, the smart heal is going to hit that person with the HoT on them.

Secondly, let's just assume we're playing with people who don't know how to adjust themselves for a druid. Why is this a valid excuse for us being ineffective at our job in a raid? Another class heals the raid faster than us without any punishment (such as running oom). Are there any other healing classes that require other healers to adjust so they can properly do their job? I can't think of one.

Third, imminent danger is something that needs to be discussed as well, because druids don't have a way to deal with this like other classes. We have 3 aoe heals, and none of them help us in this area which occurs on most boss fights:

#1: Wild Growth - Great spell but it's a HoT. If people are going down quickly, this does't help. We can cast it and pray the other healing classes keep up.

#2: Mushrooms. Clunky, would require being pre-cast, don't heal for enough.

#3: Tranquility: I actually think this spell is good, but it's cooldown is far too large be a go-to. I use this when I see the other healers can't keep up, and usually it's just enough to keep us from wiping (although it's not uncommon for a battle-rez to follow this situation).
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
12/17/2012 06:25 PMPosted by Jezebella
#3: Tranquility: I actually think this spell is good, but it's cooldown is far too large be a go-to.

It isn't a go-to, it's a raid CD.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
12/17/2012 07:37 PMPosted by Anarri
#3: Tranquility: I actually think this spell is good, but it's cooldown is far too large be a go-to.

It isn't a go-to, it's a raid CD.

I don't believe it's a significant enough contribution to be considered a raid-cooldown either.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
12/18/2012 09:14 AMPosted by Jezebella
I don't believe it's a significant enough contribution to be considered a raid-cooldown either.

It will always be more potent as a raid CD than as a panic button.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Middle of the road for me on that. Tranq, by itself, is inferior by far to HTT. Not sure where DH fits into the trifecta, but I assume it is similar in throughput to Tranq. Tranq's only saving grace is you can greatly improve it via other CDs / shaman symbiosis, as it can actually hold it's own and outheal the raw HTT when combined with NV or ToL and even move while channeling with Spiritwalkers Grace. The problem with Tranq and DH though is the channeling requirement; the shaman can cast other spells while HTT is active. Remove the channel on Tranq and DH; make them a buff on the caster that has the same effect but since it isn't a channel the druid / priest can move and cast other spells as well.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Tranquility is a good spell, but I must admit it doesn't seem to as good as it was previously. It used to be "oh crap the whole raid is damaged badly, but if I press this button everyone will be at full health in 8 seconds".
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I probably would much rather the old Symbiosis mastery over our current. It was pleasant in Cataclysm where it gave value to use a direct heal when Harmony was a 10 second buff; that's basically pointless now since you have a 5 second (8 second w/ 4 set) grace period to not use Swiftmend or a direct heal.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
12/18/2012 02:47 PMPosted by Mitimem
Tranquility is a good spell, but I must admit it doesn't seem to as good as it was previously. It used to be "oh crap the whole raid is damaged badly, but if I press this button everyone will be at full health in 8 seconds".

Yes exactly, it used to be a great spell. It's not as strong as it once was though, didn't scale appropriately. So it's not powerful enough to be considered a raid cooldown, but the cooldown is too long to be a normal part of our rotation. It's awkward.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
To fix tranq we need to have it hit hard and fast on the first tick and then tapper off a bit like the way wildgrowth does.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
12/18/2012 05:42 PMPosted by Jezebella

Yes exactly, it used to be a great spell. It's not as strong as it once was though, didn't scale appropriately. So it's not powerful enough to be considered a raid cooldown, but the cooldown is too long to be a normal part of our rotation. It's awkward.

I would have to agree. I used it on the Wind Lord Mel'jarak encounter and his Rain of Blades were cutting through Tranquility at the last phase. I would have to stop the cast because I almost died while channeling; it just wasn't keeping up on damage. It was on normal too. =(
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid

I would have to agree. I used it on the Wind Lord Mel'jarak encounter and his Rain of Blades were cutting through Tranquility at the last phase. I would have to stop the cast because I almost died while channeling; it just wasn't keeping up on damage. It was on normal too. =(

I remember starting tranq with the rain of blade in the last phase and it was very scary how close people came to dieing during my raid cooldown channel. It kind of just felt like a more efficient rejuv blanket.

Edit: I often don't use ToL + NV with tranq and I just save them as an extra type of cooldown incase we need it. Then I will preemptively lifebloom a bit and just blanket rejuv with them both going. Its like a secondary raid cooldown in 10-man if done well and you don't mind dumping lots of mana.
Edited by Stratis on 12/18/2012 8:53 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]