Latest pick for Add-on: Holy Paladin?

38 Human Paladin
I am just starting a Holy Paladin. What is best user friendly add on I should be using for PvE. Also, where can I read and learn about setting up mouseover heals?
Reply Quote
91 Human Paladin
1) As a healer you wouldn't really be looking for a holy paladin specific addon, unless (maybe) you're having trouble noticing your holy power or something like that. Look for a healing addon in general, like Vuhdo, healbot, or whatever other addons are out there. There is no "best" addon. I won't advocate for any because I don't use any.

2) http://www.worldofmatticus.com/a-guide-to-mouseover-macros/
( I don't know how to link using WoW's forums. )

And just a note, that mouseover guide is from around the time Ulduar came out, I think, but it still works. Just, you don't -need- an addon like grid or pitbull if you don't want to use them, the default Blizzard raid frames work fine.
Edited by Tóri on 12/22/2012 11:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I must say first I haven't played Holy in a while. With that out of the way, many people seem to like VuhDo or HealBot Continued to heal, as they provide quick access to heals and abilities with a simple mouse click while hovering over a target/targets frame, among other customizations you can make. I personally did not use either, I found it fine to stick with whatever raid frames you may be using and some mouseover macros.

Another good addon for any class is Power Auras or Weak Auras (both do basically the same thing, but Weak Auras seems to be more user friendly and is more stable with the current MoP patch) It will let you customize on screen displays of certain spell procs, cooldown timers, buff timers, basically whatever you could want to be displayed on your screen. Very customizable and near infinite possibilities.

As for mouseover macros, a common one is as follows (it may be outdated with MoP, but works fine):
#showtooltip
/cast [target=mouseover,exists][target=target,exists,help][target=player] Holy Light

This should work with any target-able spell or ability you have, and can be moused over on unit frames, player bars, or players themselves. You can replace 'Holy Light' with whichever spell or ability you want to make a macro for, though it will be easy to fill up with paladin with their large array of spells :(

There are many sites with macro information and places to start for making your own, try some searches and see what you come up with :)!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I use ELVUI which is a UI addon, but its a standalone you have to update yourself. No curse. Easy enough though. Having tried healbot and grid+cliq I say that ELVUI can do just about the same thing. It offers grid like unit frames for all parties and lets you rearrange everything in UI. Problem with healbot and clique is it can get me too stuck in looking at unitframes. i have found I rely on keybindings to cast spells.

http://www.methodwow.com/board/showthread.php?10501-Keybinding-Guide-World-of-Warcraft

It has a good powerbar so you see holy powers too. I am an addon junkie, but I try to set it up with some space. Problem is you have many different views, 5 man, 10 man, 25 man and 40 man. All which occupy different space.

I use:

fortexorcist for my spell cool down. It is in the middle of the screen above the unitframes. It shows me what is coming off cooldown. fortexorcist is a complex addon with multiple facets i don't even utilize, but it can do alot.

Elvui also lets me put my castbar up in huge glory. You can see it one of my screen shots right under and front of fortexorcist. I do this so I can cast right in that pink uninterruptable area. It also allows me to move my actionbars around and has easy meybinding interface and I can change minimap around as I have. There is a addon to elvui that you can get through curse, which is called shado and light. It enables me to setup the data at the bottom of the screen.

TellMeWhen is awesome. It is the cluster of icons. I can set it up to make sounds or pop up floating combat text or whisper or whatever. i can import sounds to use. So, for example when holyshock is up I have the TMW make a dinging sound.

Now if i could just figure out how to put a screenshot up for you ...o.0

http://lapsedreason.com/wowscreenshots/WoWScrnShot_122812_203705.jpg

http://lapsedreason.com/wowscreenshots/WoWScrnShot_012913_152425.jpg

http://lapsedreason.com/wowscreenshots/WoWScrnShot_012913_152156.jpg
Edited by Omzez on 1/29/2013 3:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
You will find that this question has many correct answers. I will share my personal setup.

1. Quartz for my castbar. There are other addons that do a similar job, but either way get an improved castbar that shows the effect of latency.

2. Shadowed unit frames. Has greatly improved player health and mana bars, and lots of options for target/focus bars. It also has a really good ui for holy power charges, which is the main reason I use it.

3. Dominos. Bartender works as well.

4. Weakauras. This is an amazingly powerful addon that i use to track everything from SS duration to HS cd to trinket procs to CD durations. Somewhat steep learning curve but completely worth it.

I use mouseover macros for all my healing abilities, and I use the default raid frames. Just make sure to enable class colors and disable borders and you are good to go. The basic format for my healing spells are:

#showtooltip
/cast [@mouseover,exists,help][@target,exists,help][@player][] Spell Name Here

Should be a cut and paste, just make one for each heal you need. It will heal a mouseover friendly, if that doesn't exist it will heal a friendly target, and then finally self-cast.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

1. Quartz for my castbar. There are other addons that do a similar job, but either way get an improved castbar that shows the effect of latency.

2. Shadowed unit frames. Has greatly improved player health and mana bars, and lots of options for target/focus bars. It also has a really good ui for holy power charges, which is the main reason I use it.

3. Dominos. Bartender works as well.

That's pretty much my set up, but I use Bartender > Dominos, simply because I had it first. These are about all I've needed. Once I weened myself off Healbot, I felt fantastic.

I use mouseover macros for all my healing abilities, and I use the default raid frames. Just make sure to enable class colors and disable borders and you are good to go. The basic format for my healing spells are:

#showtooltip
/cast [@mouseover,exists,help][@target,exists,help][@player][] Spell Name Here

Should be a cut and paste, just make one for each heal you need. It will heal a mouseover friendly, if that doesn't exist it will heal a friendly target, and then finally self-cast.

This is probably one of the best things you'll get out of this thread. I'd also binding and using the following abilities in the above fashion:

LoH (make sure this is in a spot where you won't accidentally hit it)
Hand of Freedom (it amazes me how few Paladins actually use this ability)
Cleanse
Hand of Purity (for lols--works very well on casters, if they're fighting a melee. Note that Hand of Purity only stops the person from doing physical damage, i.e. not spells.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. If I think of more, I'll edit this post.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]