Better Verification

(Locked)

90 Night Elf Druid
Due to a series of unfortunate events, I lost my Ipod. Inconveniently enough, my ipod had my authenticator on it. Now, getting a new labtop for christmas I am not able to log onto my account. Ive opened several tickets, and botton line is that blizzard is asking me for my birth certificate. I find this obsurd. I pay for this game, month after month, buy things off of the blizzard store and yet they still ask me? I cant even talk to a representative on the phone, im stuck with tickets that take 6 hours to respond to. This is very stupid.
90 Night Elf Monk
While I DO feel for you I'd rather they error on the side of caution than let someone else into my account. I assume you don't know your secret password?
90 Undead Priest
I don't know why you can't talk to a rep on the phone. Last week I upgraded my phone(Razr MAXX ftw) and forgot to transfer over the authenticator to the new before I wiped the old one.

Long story short I was basically in the exact same situation you are in. I called customer service, spent about 5 minutes on hold and the rep took about another 5 to straighten everything out. Whole process took less than 20 minutes and that includes me googling what I needed to do to fix it.

Edit: Oh and birth certificate? I really hope that was supposed to be some kind of sarcasm that I missed.
Edited by Priesticles on 12/27/2012 5:40 PM PST
MVP - World of Warcraft
100 Troll Priest
Do you not have your original boxed CD keys? Usually that is enough to verify your account. I was away when I lost my authenticator and did not have access to those, which is what they asked me for, so I had to scan in my driver's license. I find it odd that the request is for a birth certificate.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Usually they just want like, a driver's license.
100 Human Paladin
Not picking on you, but for future reference: The word is "absurd" not "obsurd." It kind of is a hard word to remember. I just get it right by remembering it starts with "abs," as in washboard abs.

Not that I have those.

Maybe I do under the extra padding . . .
MVP - Customer Support
100 Tauren Druid
12/27/2012 05:32 PMPosted by Volairn
Due to a series of unfortunate events, I lost my Ipod. Inconveniently enough, my ipod had my authenticator on it. Now, getting a new labtop for christmas I am not able to log onto my account. Ive opened several tickets, and botton line is that blizzard is asking me for my birth certificate. I find this obsurd. I pay for this game, month after month, buy things off of the blizzard store and yet they still ask me? I cant even talk to a representative on the phone, im stuck with tickets that take 6 hours to respond to. This is very stupid.

The Authenticator is supposed to protect your account from being accessed by other people - even those who pretend to be you.

Yes, you're required to jump through what some might consider absurd hoops to remove it - which is the entire point.

No one else but you could jump through those hoops. If you're being asked for a birth certificate, you are most likely a minor too young to get a government-issued photo ID (which is the normal verification method). Your parents will likely need to assist you in recovering access to the account, and you'll need to continue to work with Blizzard's Billing team via tickets in order to do that.

Due to the amount of verification required, a phone call is unlikely to resolve this - you will need to send in a good bit of information, including scanned copies of government documents.
"The Universe just loves proving me wrong, doesn't it?" -- Sokka
"You make it too easy!" -- Toph
Edited by Pahanda on 12/27/2012 5:48 PM PST
Customer Support
We understand it's not the easiest undertaking to get an authenticator removed, but this is mostly intentional. If all you had to do to remove an authenticator was ask, it would serve little purpose in protecting your account. Understand that we ask for basic identification to be make sure you, the account owner, are the one trying to retrieve access.

If you enable Battle.net SMS Protect, you can have an authenticator removed via text-messaging: https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/battlenet-sms-protect
Edited by Medearn on 12/27/2012 5:49 PM PST
90 Blood Elf Priest
We should also send in a blood sample with our ID card image so the people that probably have spyware on our computers in the first place at least have a chance at getting our DNA too. Might as well be able to clone me when they fully steal my identity and not just my wow account.
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
i sent a copy of my drivers license and it worked. just do that to get your authenticator detached
1 Blood Elf Mage
I should say that this is the reason I would never use an authenticator. Your chances of permanently losing your account with an authenticator due to Blizzard's crazy demands are much greater than your chances of permanently losing it from getting your account hacked.

I would also like to point out that it's easier to apply for a driver license, register to vote, or apply for a credit card than it is to prove account ownership to Blizzard. That seems... odd to say the least.

On top of all that why would anyone want to give sensitive identification documents to Blizzard given their recent track record on security? (HAY GUYS R SERVERZ WAS HACKED BETTER CHANGE UR PSSWORD LOLOLOL) Yeah, I'm sort of glad they didn't have my birth certificate and driver license on file when that happened...

12/27/2012 05:39 PMPosted by Raziya
Do you not have your original boxed CD keys? Usually that is enough to verify your account.

Wrong. I lost a different account in the past and tried to recover it using the original CD key. They told me that the key was correct then asked for more ID documents and refused to restore the account.
Edited by Ariel on 12/28/2012 8:16 AM PST
90 Night Elf Rogue
12/28/2012 08:04 AMPosted by Ariel
On top of all that why would anyone want to give sensitive identification documents to Blizzard given their recent track record on security?

This breach was the first time in eight years blizzard has been breached quite a amazing track record if you ask me.

HAY GUYS R SERVERZ WAS HACKED BETTER CHANGE UR PSSWORD LOLOLOL

That was sent out as a precaution for you to change it just in case the ones that got through managed to break blizzard encryption. No one was forcing you to change it.
90 Blood Elf Mage
On top of all that why would anyone want to give sensitive identification documents to Blizzard given their recent track record on security?

Hmm.. You make it sounds as if Blizzard fails at security.

AFAIK, Blizzard has only had one breach - several months ago, in all the years WoW has been running.

How many other gaming companies can come near that track record? Pretty sure you'll find none.

Your chances of permanently losing your account with an authenticator due to Blizzard's crazy demands

If an account is created with correct and legitimate information, Blizzard's "crazy demands" would not be a problem for most people.

I would also like to point out that it's easier to apply for a driver license, register to vote, or apply for a credit card than it is to prove account ownership to Blizzard. That seems... odd to say the least.

Gold selling is a massive business. How do they provide gold to the idiot players who insist on cheating (by buying gold) - through compromised accounts, which are also used along with stolen credit card details to channel illicit trade of out of game items paid for with stolen credit card details for gold - in essence, not only supporting the gold stash for buyers, but alos effectively laundering money for syndicate crimes figures.

So, is Blizzard really that crazy for asking for documents if account ownership is questioned?

asked for more ID documents and refused to restore the account.

So you are blaming Blizzard for not restoring your account - yet, you refused to provide further information that Blizzard asked for?
43 Pandaren Monk
I should say that this is the reason I would never use an authenticator. Your chances of permanently losing your account with an authenticator due to Blizzard's crazy demands are much greater than your chances of permanently losing it from getting your account hacked.

Wrong. All you need to do is keep the authenticator serial number somewhere safe. If it is a mobile one you just re-activate it using the same serial #. If it is the keyfob having the serial number would allow them to remove it without ID. Also like previously stated, just enabling SMS protection allows you to remove a lost authenticator yourself.

No it isn't. If you made the account in your name, are responsible for your account and email security, a huge % of players do not have any issues with this at all.

On top of all that why would anyone want to give sensitive identification documents to Blizzard given their recent track record on security? (HAY GUYS R SERVERZ WAS HACKED BETTER CHANGE UR PSSWORD LOLOLOL) Yeah, I'm sort of glad they didn't have my birth certificate and driver license on file when that happened...

They got access to an encrypted file that had SQA info. It did not have passwords, or personal account info. Blizzard said you have to change your SQA, they recommended that you change your password.

Please do not spread misinformation. Your opinion is not fact. No one should ever be discouraged from using an authenticator. Use SMS protect and write down the serial number somewhere safe. Then you will be ok.
Edited by Tinkrashi on 12/28/2012 8:43 AM PST
95 Troll Hunter
Yeah, I'm sort of glad they didn't have my birth certificate and driver license on file when that happened...

They don't keep them, so there is nothing to be stolen. They receive them, verify them against the account information, and then destroy them.

Not even remotely true. Trust me, as someone who has done all three activities, proving my identity to Blizzard would be a cake walk, comparatively.... And generally.
Customer Support
Do you not have your original boxed CD keys? Usually that is enough to verify your account.

Wrong. I lost a different account in the past and tried to recover it using the original CD key. They told me that the key was correct then asked for more ID documents and refused to restore the account.

In situations where the accounts ownership can come into question, we may ask for additional documentation to prove that you are indeed the account owner. This is a reasonable request (albeit sometimes inconvenient) to help ensure that only the account owner can gain access to an account.

Processing this type of documentation isn't ideal but it's why we only request in in situation where control of the account has come into question. We do not wish for you to submit this kind of information on a regular basis, nor do we wish to have to handle and receive it regularly.

There is no ploy to make it harder for you to play; we're acting based on a history of players attempting to gain control of accounts they do not own.
100 Undead Death Knight
There are 7 billion people in the world.

The security measures, and identity verification measures, are there to ensure that the other 6.999999 billion (those who are NOT you) do not gain access to your account.
90 Draenei Paladin
12/28/2012 10:02 AMPosted by Medearn

In situations where the accounts ownership can come into question, we may ask for additional documentation to prove that you are indeed the account owner. This is a reasonable request (albeit sometimes inconvenient) to help ensure that only the account owner can gain access to an account.

Processing this type of documentation isn't ideal but it's why we only request in in situation where control of the account has come into question. We do not wish for you to submit this kind of information on a regular basis, nor do we wish to have to handle and receive it regularly.

There is no ploy to make it harder for you to play; we're acting based on a history of players attempting to gain control of accounts they do not own.

The problem i see with asking for ID/Birth certificate is that some country or state/provence wont allow for transmitting of those documents online or allow copying of them as most modern or current ids have copy protection on them which can if not limited to blanking out text on ID
Customer Support
12/28/2012 11:15 AMPosted by Kanashimi
The problem i see with asking for ID/Birth certificate is that some country or state/provence wont allow for transmitting of those documents online or allow copying of them as most modern or current ids have copy protection on them which can if not limited to blanking out text on ID

Those situations can be handled on a case-by-case basis.
14 Blood Elf Priest
Kanashimi, those rules are for creating false ID. Not for sending legitimate ID. When it comes down to it, it's up to the player in question to decide if they are willing to do so to get their account back.

Really, the best thing to do is to secure your computer and account such that it's never an issue that you'll have to ever worry about anyway ;) That's my opinion at least!
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]