Monk tank - Guard or Healing spheres glyph

90 Orc Shaman
Sorry if this has been asked before, I am trying to decide my major glyphs for my monk tank and for the third I was thinking guard. I read that it is useful both in fights with magic and fights without magic because even in fights without magic you get 30 seconds of 30% increased healing. My question is this though, does the guard buff from tiger palm increase this or just the guard damage absorption and whether it does or not, is this glyph worth using. I read that the damage mitigation from guard is kind of low, making it a sort of use a lot cd, so if you glyphed it, does it make a huge difference in non magic fights, or does say that 30% healing outweigh the damage mitigated.

Or would healing spheres 3 min glyph be better. I heard it works nice for boss fights where you can get like 9 of them spawned and use them all during times with a lot of damage.

The other two I chose were leer and fortifying if that makes a difference. Thanks!
Edited by Seizmic on 1/2/2013 5:24 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
sorry had to edit -
Reply Quote
One thing to consider with healing spheres is that the ones you specifically summon can be used by anyone. Like guard, healing from the spheres is also based on your vengeance level. Also remember: the increased healing from guard is self-healing only. Chi-wave is changing in 5.2 to be used every 15s (although it's getting buffed otherwise), which means you would only get 1-2 casts worth.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Yeah I knew about the everyone being able to use spheres but in the giant boss fights, I feel like most of the time no one us near you, but maybe that is too much of a generalisation.

I didn't know that about chi wave, will the same be true for chi burst. From what I understand you use guard often enough that every 30 seconds is basically always there (if you glyph it). What I am wondering is if you glyph it, is it necessary to maintain the buff to guard from tiger palm, or does that only change the damage mitigation.

Lol, both seem to be interesting choices, guard allowing you excellent magic tanking along with an almost always buff to self healing by 30% (I am guessing this only really matters for expel harm, healing spheres, and your tier 2 talent, and unless I missed something, these should be your only self healing abilities right).

On the other hand healing spheres can be saved in boss fights to create situation and on demand healing, which can be nice.

What do you guys think
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Guard because it'll allow you to mitigate that +30% healing effect longer.

If you absorb both, your shield won't last much and won't be getting any heals in the first place.

Also, that shield is meant for you to heal since it gives that bonus, and it also doesn't absorb as much as the priest bubble or has such low cooldown.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
In that case does the power guard from tiger palm change the heal bonus from guard at all, thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
anyone know :)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
01/01/2013 05:30 PMPosted by Seizmic
it is useful both in fights with magic and fights without magic because even in fights without magic you get 30 seconds of 30% increased healing. My question is this though, does the guard buff from tiger palm increase this or just the guard damage absorption and whether it does or not, is this glyph worth using.

Glyph of Guard is only useful in high magic damage fights. You don't ever want to use the glyph just to increase your healing received - the amount you absorb using the unglyphed Guard is way more than any extra healing you will receive. Your Guard amount scales with Vengeance, so it will scale very well with your damage intake (provided the damage is physical).

To answer your first question, Power Guard does not increase the amount of extra healing received, only the absorb amount.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk

Glyph of Guard is only useful in high magic damage fights. You don't ever want to use the glyph just to increase your healing received - the amount you absorb using the unglyphed Guard is way more than any extra healing you will receive. Your Guard amount scales with Vengeance, so it will scale very well with your damage intake (provided the damage is physical).

To answer your first question, Power Guard does not increase the amount of extra healing received, only the absorb amount.

This. Guard only increases SELF healing, not healing done by others. We don't heal ourselves often enough to justify losing the absorb.

Glyph of Sphere's does effect Gift of the Ox spheres according to wowhead, if you want to take that into consideration.

There is only 1 fight where glyph of Fort brew is useful in current content, that being Stone Guard.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
So... basically what you are saying then is... all our glyphs are lame lol, and it doesn't really matter much which ones you choose.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
What people are trying to tell you is this:

You mix and match and swap them out as needed for the next boss you are going to spank. For raiding that is.

Normal/heroic 5mans, it does not make much of a difference which glyphs you have active.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
What I mean is, I don't mind changing them but what is there to change to lol. If Guard is not worth it and fort brew is only good on one boss, there really aren't many choices left. Leer obviously, an extra taunt seems... okay. Maybe healing spheres too I guess, or stoneskin, who knows. I guess I can always figure it out once I begin tanking current content. Thanks for all the suggestions guys!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Seizmic
90 Orc Shaman

So... basically what you are saying then is... all our glyphs are lame lol, and it doesn't really matter much which ones you choose.

I'd say in PvE, only MW have some must-have glyphs. BM/WW glyph for PvE are just bad, some of them are necessary but not as critical as MW.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
Seizmic
90 Orc Shaman

I'd say in PvE, only MW have some must-have glyphs. BM/WW glyph for PvE are just bad, some of them are necessary but not as critical as MW.

Even the two "must-have" MW glyphs aren't all that spectacular. The use for RM is the increased range because 20 yds is wtf. The only really good glyph is mana tea because you get twice the benefit per gcd and that still can vary depending on usage and whether you end up wasting stacks due to uncommonly good rng.

IMO the best glyph BM have is the minor for BoK-at least it affects something used a lot...
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

Even the two "must-have" MW glyphs aren't all that spectacular. The use for RM is the increased range because 20 yds is wtf. The only really good glyph is mana tea because you get twice the benefit per gcd and that still can vary depending on usage and whether you end up wasting stacks due to uncommonly good rng.

IMO the best glyph BM have is the minor for BoK-at least it affects something used a lot...

You mean the glyph that affects things that are only done by windwalker's blackout kick? (it does absolutely nothing for brewmaster) lol
Edited by Theoldpanda on 1/4/2013 3:25 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]