My problem with bag space

100 Night Elf Druid
Is honestly not old gear or tabards or even cooking. they have given us a lot of solutions for that (and to be fair we are far better off then when we used to have pets in our bags!)

For some reason I have yet to fathom, I keep all of my old holiday gear - you know the pants, boots and shirt that you pay 200 of some holiday item for (be them hearts, tickets, or whatever), put them on, do a handstand in the opposing factions city while whistling the ironforge dwarf digging song backwards for 3 minutes to get an achievement for and never wear them again... Only I keep them in fear that next year I WILL have to wear them again for some new achievement that never comes and I don't want to work for them again.

and can someone please explain why I still keep my

Mallet of Zul'Farrak?
Mark of Honor Hold?

I mean seriously... what's the chance that Spirit Shard's are going to make a currency comeback and provide something useful to me at my current level (I have 32 saved up JUST IN CASE!)?

And yes, there is all the "cute" stuff that I just can't seem to get rid of! Like my
Super Simian Sphere
my Puntable Marmot
and even holiday things like my
Brazier of Dancing Flames
and archaeology items like my
Ancient Amber which I use all the time when hanging around SW.

*Maybe* Blizzard needs to do something about my bag space for some of the mentioned items, but it's clear that I need help as well. I'm an online pack rat! Which is amusing since I keep very little in real life.

I think it comes from the RPG days of old like zork where you never threw anything away because you could combine that leftover piece of magazine paper with the used bullet to make a match and light the oil rag so you would not be eaten by a grue.
Edited by Linias on 1/3/2013 12:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
87 Human Warlock
I'm in the same boat as you for the most part. Things like Spirit Shards and those HH Marks, which can still be obtained easily, I don't care to keep if I need to make space.

I like to think of it being a number of reasons, most of which stem from just wanting to be a completionist in your own way.
Reply Quote
4 Gnome Warlock
I have had to throw out so many things =( that I really didn't want to because I have no room.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I'm in the same boat as you for the most part. Things like Spirit Shards and those HH Marks, which can still be obtained easily, I don't care to keep if I need to make space.

do you have any idea how long it took me to farm all those Oshu'gun Crystal Fragment? (I was saving up for my dark war talbuk, but sadly, PVP just doesn't happen there much anymore).

the day I throw them away the pandarins might find a use for them and suddenly offer level 600 gear for them!!!
[edit] or more likely I will actually have a battle in halaa and get the rest of my defense tokens, and have to refarm all the research tokens.
Edited by Linias on 1/3/2013 12:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I've got a bag and a half of cute stuff. I have that on 3 toons. Would love to store it in void storage, but I don't believe it will fit there. As far as I can tell the only good use for windwool bags will be to create 2 new spaces in these bags.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Seriously though... I do keep too many "one of a kind" items that I have no where to put. Thinks like brewfest mugs going back for years - every color. Why? What am I ever going to do with them?

And all the dang archaeology things that play a mini-scene or whatever.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
01/03/2013 12:04 PMPosted by Linias
Also for some reason I have yet to fathom, I keep all of my old holiday gear - you know the pants, boots and shirt that you pay 200 of some holiday item for (be them hearts, tickets, or whatever), put them on, do a handstand in the opposing factions city while whistling the ironforge dwarf digging song backwards for 3 minutes to get an achievement for and never wear them again... Only I keep them in fear that next year I WILL have to wear them again for some new achievement that never comes and I don't want to work for them again.

I feel your pain.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Also for some reason I have yet to fathom, I keep all of my old holiday gear - you know the pants, boots and shirt that you pay 200 of some holiday item for (be them hearts, tickets, or whatever), put them on, do a handstand in the opposing factions city while whistling the ironforge dwarf digging song backwards for 3 minutes to get an achievement for and never wear them again... Only I keep them in fear that next year I WILL have to wear them again for some new achievement that never comes and I don't want to work for them again.

I feel your pain.

So I am not the only one keeping 4 pairs of seasonal boots (?? I think?) in the off chance I will need them again? (most likely this time to do the jig in undercity while reading aloud the monk and the dwarf in an ancient dialect of squirrel)
Edited by Linias on 1/3/2013 12:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
01/03/2013 12:34 PMPosted by Linias

I feel your pain.

So I am not the only one keeping 4 pairs of seasonal boots (?? I think?) in the off chance I will need them again? (most likely this time to do the jig in undercity while reading aloud the monk and the dwarf in an ancient dialect of squirrel)

I got some guy's severed head in storage that I'm still hanging onto. Apparently, it I'm supposed to put it on a pike in some low level Dungeon. Funny thing, I don't even know how I got it!
Reply Quote
87 Human Warlock
I hope they add a function to the farm (our closest thing to housing) that allows us to store goods for show (obviously just to yourself).
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
It would be nice if Void Storage were implemented a little better for this sort of thing. Sadly, they really dropped the ball with it.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid

I got some guy's severed head in storage that I'm still hanging onto. Apparently, it I'm supposed to put it on a pike in some low level Dungeon. Funny thing, I don't even know how I got it!

Ewwww.... That thing must smell. I wonder how much the bank charges you for the reek?

But yeah, my mage must have a few dozen gems or spears or other things that were quest starters that he kept back when he was working on his loremaster. I should really delete those.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
I went on a cleaning spree recently... but it wasn't enough. Or maybe it was, I have free space but I can't help but feel cluttered still. My big problem is transmog items, and keeping around way too many armor pieces and weapons because I think they look cool and one day, maybe, I'll use them in some awesome themed set. I also have a ton of old rep items, looking for the day/time when I'll go back and finally get whatever to exalted.

There are legit bag space limitations for many people, but yeah I agree that there are probably many more of us hanging on to things that we'll just never look at/use again because... who knows?
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I went on a cleaning spree recently... but it wasn't enough. Or maybe it was, I have free space but I can't help but feel cluttered still. My big problem is transmog items, and keeping around way too many armor pieces and weapons because I think they look cool and one day, maybe, I'll use them in some awesome themed set. I also have a ton of old rep items, looking for the day/time when I'll go back and finally get whatever to exalted.

There are legit bag space limitations for many people, but yeah I agree that there are probably many more of us hanging on to things that we'll just never look at/use again because... who knows?

This is still your fault.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
01/03/2013 01:03 PMPosted by Bashiok

Not who knows...

Memories.

There are memories locked within each item that come flooding back to us when we see the item & or wear it.

Heck, I'll never get rid of my totem from the Duskwood questlines... I remember thinking I'd have an actual totem like a Shammy. (I was a clueless little newbie).

I spent the whole day running back & fourth to do that quest (this was pre lowbie mounts) & because of that, I can't just throw it away.

Same goes for many of my things. I made the mistake of selling Linken's sword & my drinking hat to pay my bill repairs long ago & I still regret it to this day.

This is why I need more bank space, so my memories won't be lost.
Reply Quote
81 Gnome Death Knight
Cutesy/vanity stuff should be stored on its own, separate page. For that matter, so should quest items. That would free up pack space for equippable gear, vendor junk, and crafting mats.

That was one of the things The Old Republic got right - you had your one inventory bag (you purchased additional rows of slots, as you leveled and could afford it), but it had a tab at the bottom which switched it to "Mission (quest) Items", so that you could save inventory space.

I completely agree with this. I'd take it step further and say vanity items should be account wide but if that doesn't happen I won't hold my breath until I pass out in protest over it. My professor title is account wide but my archy toys aren't? Minor problem.

Okay, being undead I don't really breathe in the first place.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
It is hard to get rid of loot and vanity items. I feel your pain
Edited by Steth on 1/3/2013 1:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
I have a question related to bag space though. The single smallest addressable data size is 1-byte, and 1-byte has a maximum data value of 255, and by and large, most storage methods don't even address data-spaces below 2-bytes (65535 max value for those of you not binary learned) anymore these days .

So, with as loathe as you folks are for boosting bag sizes and such, why is the average item stack size in this game 20?? Why is 200 enchanting dust taking up *TEN* bag spaces when it could easily just take up one. Let's get blunt here, if data space is a premium commodity, why are you squandering it with infinitesimally tiny stack sizes??

Don't get me wrong, I understand why we're not stacking items to 4-digit totals (display, text-size issues, legibility), but 3-digit values (999?) are perfectly readable and would eliminate a *HUGE* amount of data replication.
Edited by Feandel on 1/3/2013 1:11 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]