Resto Druids: Fixing our healing

90 Night Elf Druid
After some great feed back from some druids on the druid forums, I have been told that I should post this on the healer forums for more attention.
Original link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7416062517

Druid healing right now is a little under tuned but the main issue is not that. It’s that our healing gets sniped and our lack of spell selection. I’d propose the following changes to make druid healing up to par with other healers and to make our spell selection more diverse.

Lifebloom- This spell is in a good place now, usually I keep it up on the tank along with a rejuvenation.

Rejuvenation-Right now rejuv is a very mana efficient heal but the issue is that when grouped with 1-2 healers usually most of the heal becomes overhealing because of other healers smart-heals or just lack of knowledge that the rejuv will top someone off over the duration of the HoT. Non-full bars are scary to some of the other healers while resto druids usually understand that with predictable raid damage or pulsing AoE damage that topping someone off that has a HoT on them is not the best method of healing.

There is also the issue that it really is our only spell to use when AoE damage is going out and our Wild Growth and Swiftmend is on cooldown (discounting tranquility). Instead of giving druids a spammable AoE heal (like Prayer of Healing or Chain Heal) during heavy AoE we could use rejuv as our filler in between Wild Growth, Swiftmend/Efflorescence, and Wild Mushroom (I’ll get to that). Maybe a 5-8% decrease in mana cost so we can use it as our filler during AoE. Not too much though because our t14 2 piece bonus is amazing and rejuv is still strong when healing moderate damage. In later tiers our mana regen will increase enough that the loss of the t14 2 piece bonus will be offset by our gain in spirit.

Sniping our rejuv’s is also a constant problem but by changing the way rejuv works it could solve the issue. To start off we could make it that rejuv heals for 75% of the total heal in the first half of the spell, and 25% in the second half. This would not only make it that it heals for the same amount but causes less overhealing and makes it more attractive to heal lighter damage with rejuv. Also, front loading the heal would make it so that other healers would be more comfortable when watching health bars go up faster over 9 sec instead of a constant amount over 18 sec.

Regrowth- Whether you like it or not, regrowth makes healing touch and nourish useless when glyphed. It heals for more, casts faster, is more mana efficient, auto crits, and places a living seed on the target. The glyph makes it the only spell to use as a hard cast. While I do like the high mobility of my druid, I’d also like more spell selection. The mana cost and heal amount is fine but the crit chance needs to be fixed. The glyph removes the HoT portion and makes regrowth auto-crit but it is negligible as the HoT heals for almost nothing and is only used for Swiftmend. Make it a more difficult choice between glyph or no glyph. Reduce the crit chance on regrowth but change the spell so that it heals for X amount and places a 6 second HoT on the target which heals for the same amount. Right now my regrowth auto-crits for around 70k, but with the change it will heal for 35k and then 35k over 6 seconds or can crit for 70k and then 70k over 6 seconds.

This means we would have to choose between the reliability of the glyph or the high HPS potential of a non-glyphed regrowth. Make it so the regrowth HoT stacks like a paladins Mastery bubble or a mage’s ignite so there’s not HoT munching. People could spam regrowth for a big short duration HoT at the expense of a costly inefficient heal.

Healing Touch- The fix to healing touch is relatively simple. It heals and costs about the same amount as a glyphed regrowth but is slower. Make healing touch cheaper and increase the healing coefficient a little. It is still a slow heal but it should be bigger than what it is now.

Wild Growth- The spell is good but it needs to hit a bit harder. An increase in the healing coefficient should fix this.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Wild Mushrooms- The change to wild growth is really the only change that MoP brought to resto druids. Otherwise they have been the same for the past 2 expansions. Unfortunately this spell has been a bit of a letdown with a clumsy mechanic and low healing. What we really need is a spell which allows us to place Efflorescence on our own terms. Targeting someone and swiftmending them is good and all but sometimes people just aren’t in the proper place or its on cooldown. If we can make Wild mushrooms something we can throw on the ground as a second efflorescence this would really help our weak stack healing. Essentially make it hit for an initial amount with dimishing returns if it hits over 6 people, than have it place a spot of efflorescence. Put it on a 15-20 sec cooldown with a higher mana cost. This would make druids unique in a way because they could be the only healer to have two ground effect heals up at the same time.

Nourish- Nourish is a great idea but is poorly implemented. It needs to work more like a warlocks Malefic Grasp. Make it beneficial to cast nourish. Right now the mana efficiency is worse than both healing touch and regrowth without a HoT on the target and heals for a third of the amount even if there is one. If you change it to heal for X% of all the HoTs currently on the target and have it refresh rejuv and lifebloom. This will make it more attractive to HoT someone, and cast nourish, and cast it later to keep it up. It would be impossible to blanket rejuv and then blanket nourish but it will give us more options for healing. We could keep LB and rejuv on the tank and alternate between healing touch and nourish as necessary to keep up our HoTs while throwing Wild Growth and rejuvs to other people in the raid.

My issue with druids is not that we do not have enough mana regen, or that our output is lower than some classes right now. My issue is that druids are boring to play because there are only 4 healing spells which are worth using in a raid, rejuv, regrowth, lifebloom, and wild growth. We need to make our other spells useful so we actually have to choose which spell to use to get the most out of our mana in whatever situation. Druid’s need attention and overhauling our spells, making them useful, and buffing our coefficients a little bit, is the way to do it.
Edited by Grizzlebeer on 12/18/2012 8:05 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Your proposals for Regrowth and Nourish would break druids in PvP even more. Personally, I think that the PvP/PvE balance is the main reason why druids haven't been updated since the expansion came out.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
How would it break PvP? The output would be the same, glyph it is you want auto-reliable crits, and don't glyph it if you want more HPS. Anyways nourish isn't used much in PvP is it?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
12/18/2012 09:53 AMPosted by Grizzlebeer
How would it break PvP? The output would be the same, glyph it is you want auto-reliable crits, and don't glyph it if you want more HPS. Anyways nourish isn't used much in PvP is it?

One of the things that gives druids a survivability edge in PvP is that our HoTs keep ticking, even when we are otherwise incapacitated. Having a chance at a 70k direct heal with a 70k HoT is huge, as you are not just adjusting the glyph, but changing Regrowth into a very strong front-loaded HoT.

Nourish is never used in PvP right now, but again, a heal that would have a strong upfront component and automatically refreshes all of your HoTs would be huge in PvP, especially stacked with Regrowth becoming a strong HoT. Having a Nature's Swiftness+Nourish to instantly heal me for six figures and refresh two of my strongest HoTs would be insanely powerful, especially with the CC chain-fest that is PvP at the moment.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
12/18/2012 08:04 AMPosted by Grizzlebeer
Maybe a 5-8% decrease in mana cost so we can use it as our filler during AoE.

Rejuv already heals for a a lot in relation to its mana cost, asking for more is just greedy.

Sniping our rejuv’s is also a constant problem but by changing the way rejuv works it could solve the issue. To start off we could make it that rejuv heals for 75% of the total heal in the first half of the spell, and 25% in the second half.

Sniping is a reality for all healers who aren't Paladins or Disc Priests, not just druids. And in reality, the sniping complaint boils down to you complaining that you can't game the meters. Blizzard doesn't balance around you winning the meters. They balance you around progression. Get over the sniping, if not, go play a Disc Priest, Shield > Snipe.

I used to play a Paladin in Cata and just always watched as I stayed on top of the meters consistently due to a mix of heal sniping and shielding via Illuminated Healing. Now as a Shaman, I get beat by shields or snipes all the time by my fellow heal team members. Do I complain no? I would only complain about meters if my HPS wasn't viable during pressure situations which has not been the case. You're just asking for way too much.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Resto Druid's main problem is lack of burst healing and lack of good mana regeneration.
Having Revitalize back(Or something to that effect) will greatly improve our healing and allow us to finally compete with other healers. You can say it is the player and not the class all you want, fact is: A good druid vs any other good healer and the druid will ALWAYS get destroyed by a good 10-20% on healing.

Having WG do about 60-75% of it's heal in the first half of the spell will do alot to that. Buffing Wild Mushrooms as a decent burst AoE will do that. Reducing the mana cost of Rejuvenation by 20-30% and increasing it's healing by 10-15% can also do this.

As it stands, no matter what GC says, RDruids are the bottom of the barrel no matter how you look at it. Mana Regen, Burst AoE healing, Sustained AoE healing, Single Target healing, etc. WoL supports this as at average RDruids are 15-25% below all other healers (Talking top 200, because that is where the most skilled are, usually). We are almost NEVER ranked in the top 10 world of all classes for any fight.

I support this thread and I want to see some buffs to Nourish's healing and reduce to mana cost, reduce to rejuve's mana cost and maybe more healing, different ratio of WG's healing(Doing most in the first half, less in the second), and a HUGE buff to Wild Mushrooms:Bloom so it is not a waste of bar space and can help with our burst AoE healing, and a good way to regen mana. ( Innervate is not good, it's on a 3 min CD and Priests have a Mindbender which does the same/more as Innervate and it's on a 1m CD meaning they do 3x what we do in 3 mins with just that one spell)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
top 200 on WOL is where...meter padders or raids that take too much damage are, actually. Or when one healer carries the rest of the healers.
That's where the average top10 parses come from,.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
top 200 on WOL is where...meter padders or raids that take too much damage are, actually. Or when one healer carries the rest of the healers.
That's where the average top10 parses come from,.

Yupppp. They also have weird comp set ups like having a raid healer and then a dps that tank heals (ele/shadow/boomkin) where the raid healer soaks up all the hps while the hybrid keeps a tank up.

Think of this... on lord rhyolith heroic back when fl was considered current content, almost all of the people who ranked for the fight had dps step into the fire repeatedly just to have more to heal.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
It was an example. Denying that Resto Druids are in a horrid state is either ignorance, or lack of knowledge on why it is such. Sure, we can still compete to an extent and help out, but we are still lacking in every department.

The average logs even ( not top 200 , average ) have RDruids below the rest.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
12/21/2012 09:32 PMPosted by Lionblaze
The average logs even ( not top 200 , average ) have RDruids below the rest.

lol idk what you are looking at, but in 10 man heroics and 10 man normal (the most common raid groups) u are not the worst, holy priests are, the mistweavers, then RDruids

and the reason that RDruids arent up at the top, is because in cata, they were stupid OP, its just karma now, like i bet in the next xpac, disc priests will be at the bottom.

But nevertheless, if u are skilled enough player, it doesnt matter the class u heal on, if u have the skilled ul trample the numbers. its what i do as a resto shaman
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
and actually in all parses... resto shamans are way below the pack... so if a healing class needs an update, its resto shamans

10 man heroic: http://www.raidbots.com/dpsbot/Overall_DPS/10H/all/14/60/default/#0000000000000000000000000000111111

10 man normal:
http://www.raidbots.com/dpsbot/Overall_DPS/10N/all/14/60/default/#0000000000000000000000000000111111

so yea, quit yer whining
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
and actually in all parses... resto shamans are way below the pack... so if a healing class needs an update, its resto shamans

10 man heroic: http://www.raidbots.com/dpsbot/Overall_DPS/10H/all/14/60/default/#0000000000000000000000000000111111

10 man normal:
http://www.raidbots.com/dpsbot/Overall_DPS/10N/all/14/60/default/#0000000000000000000000000000111111

so yea, quit yer whining

Utility...
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid

10 man normal:

so yea, quit yer whining

Sorry, I didn't make it clear. I was mainly talking about 25M. We're below the rest and everyone has more utility than us. That's what annoys me. All there is is raw hps and we're worst at that too...
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
The one and only thing that we need to make us viable is a living seed change.

Disc priests have a spell which we all know is spirit shell. What do i propose? An ability which acts the same as spirit shell but hots will stack living seed on people during the duration. Make living seed proc off ALL damage and make it a 1 minute cooldown. Alas, we have fixed the lack of druid burst healing which is really only an issue in 25 man. It sticks to our roots in damage prediction as well.

This wont change the state of druids in pvp and it wont change the state of druids in 10 man, i cant see how this would be hard to code in and i cant see why blizzard haven't done this already.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Non-full bars are scary to some of the other healers while resto druids usually understand that with predictable raid damage or pulsing AoE damage that topping someone off that has a HoT on them is not the best method of healing.

This is why Blizzard isn't going to do much. The real problem is player stupidity (both the sniping, and the subsequent blaming the HoT caster for the overheal), which Blizzard can't fix directly.

12/20/2012 08:05 PMPosted by Lionblaze
A good druid vs any other good healer

12/20/2012 08:05 PMPosted by Lionblaze
vs

WTF? Your goal is to keep the raid alive. The other healer's goal is to keep the raid alive. In what possible way is that "vs"?
Reply Quote

WTF? Your goal is to keep the raid alive. The other healer's goal is to keep the raid alive. In what possible way is that "vs"?

In the obvious way that there is a fixated number of healer spots on a raid group, and you need to compete with other healers to be on that spot?

If you play on a guild that has 0 competitiveness ok, but most of others plays in guilds where the best are in the progression fights and the ones with less dps, hps, etc... only goes in farms.
Edited by Sàtàn on 12/22/2012 3:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
1 Goblin Shaman
70-80k standard Healinig Touches are are a joke imo. Max HT's between 145K and 155K also a joke imo.

Would it be too much to ask for something with some punch on a consistent basis. Leave the kit as is and give HT some punch - tank low on health - got to hope a HT crits or the other healers got them is not really my idea of contributing.

It would be nice to slap someone with a HT when needed and save a wipe or a death. Just saying.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]