Guild Robbers,Ninjas, & Just Plain thieves

90 Draenei Shaman
Blizzard seems to not care about the overwhelming increase of thieves and guild robbers occurring during the holidays. They have already robbed 2 guilds on my server and many more are to come from the looks of things. There guild name is Pirates Inc and the toons that have been used to rob the guilds are Dalvincy,Carlunced,& Ardisan from Uldaman. Please BEWARE these toons. Last night they robbed another guild for 80k of supplies and put them all in AH.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Technically they do care, the reason for all the security measures, IE ranks that can only be given if the person has an authenticator. If people are invited into a guild, and immediately given bank access, then it's on them. If officers and gms can be so easily socially engineered, then maybe they should rethink their strategies about who they give guild invite access, and bank access

*edited for spelling
Edited by Sybrora on 12/24/2012 9:55 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
You can set access at the tab level. Most GM's will only give access to the first tab or two to alts, new members, and casuals as well as limit the number of stacks those ranks can take per day. Honestly, if a guild gives full access to the bank to all members then IMO they are asking for trouble.

Sorry you had to learn the hard way. However, why it may morally be wrong, if someone has full access to the bank and they take stuff it's not really stealing.

Edit: Not that I condone this behavior but just saying that I don't think Blizz has any recourse because I don't think they broke any of blizzards rules.
Edited by Macavelli on 12/27/2012 7:39 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
If you don't lock your car doors and someone steals something, it may be stealing, but there is nothing insurance, and very little the police can do to help you.

This applies to guild banks.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Bose, when that happens, its time to call the A-Team!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MVonyVSQoM
Reply Quote
1 Dwarf Warlock
I agree with Sybrora. If a guild bank is accessible then GMs have no ground to declare "ninja" when a newly invited member withdraws items. This of course leave exempt hacks that permit bank manipulation. Furthermore, the moral issue pertaining to "ninja" is not applicable to "they took items they could take and left the guild having joined only for that purpose." These are simple "cons" that do not intend on integration but quick profit. On would perhaps profit far more from joining a guild, rising in the ranks, then "ninjaing" items and leaving in which case we are back to the original point: if a guild bank is accessible then GMs have no ground to declare "ninja". The debate that applies here is one of deception. A member is invited posing as an officer and a perhaps distracted guild leader simply promotes to officer alts at which point granting access vis a vis - in my case - the ability for my officer atls to promote. Here the Guild Master exhibited negligence, which puts the responsibility in his hands. The response should be surgical: remove the officer alts rank ability to promote. Regardless, negligence implies the Guild Master is at fault and must therefore deal with the consequences. Luckily for me the "ninja" was an idiot and failed to do his research: my guild members have VERY limited access to my bank including my High Council. Additionally, I only run my bank and do not deal with High Council promotions. They managed to take 1000 gold worth in items while I had over 100k sitting across all tabs and 300k in gold. In my opinion, my negligence is pretty well insured. Lastly, Blizzard is forgiving and returned the items. Now I think I will give them away just for fun.
Reply Quote
1 Dwarf Warlock
Oh and one more note for Macavelli. The Blizzard terms of agreement includes a clause that contracts you with anything written IN GAME. For example: I run a raid and set myself to loot master. IN GAME - not vent, skype, etc - I write that loot rules will be MS > OS and any mounts will be a free roll. A mount drops, everyone rolls, Johnny wins the roll yet I take the item for myself. Johnny can submit a ticket detailing the events, blizzard employees can look through the raid chat history and find my outlined loot rules into which I have "contracted". They find the roll showing Johnny a victor, mount is taken from me given to him. Horde players are more familiar with this system; Insomnia, for example, use to run 25 man raids in which you had to buy in your spot and bid on drops. Loot rules were clearly stated to avoid confusion in raid. The only issue with this is that sometimes loot rules are fuzzy. For example, I have a 496 piece on my Mage and my BiS 496 piece drops. Should I get it even though the Warlock next to me has a 476 item and the drop is not his BiS. These and other particularities are often left out of loot rules and contracts established in game. In my specific case, the person posed as an officer - one that had recently logged out and has 8 or 9 avatars (ideal target) - asking for the invite. His lie is fraudulent hence breaking contract. This is why Blizzard was able to restore my items. If it would have been the case that one of my high ranked officers took items and left the guild (assuming of course his account was not hacked) I remain unsure if Blizzard would be able to act since there is no "breach" of contract.
Edited by Gommalogic on 12/28/2012 11:33 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]