Mana when changing specs & trink question

90 Goblin Shaman
This is my first 90 and I've been on her since MoP hit. I have been starting to level my other characters and I notice that they don't keep their mana pools when I change spec but this shammie of mine does. Is there any reason for this? I thought this was a new MoP thing but it seems to only work on my shammy. ):

Also, I have H Vial of Ichorous Blood and worked to get rev'ed in Shado-Pan for the trink. However, the VP trick gives less spirit than Ichorous Blood does. Is the bump in int make it worth more? Also, is Spirit of the Sun good?

Thanks! :)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
spirit of the sun is BiS. the valor trinket is meh, but better than vial cus of the reduced cd.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
The mana issue I can't comment on. I'lll try to look it up. It happens for me as well. Changing from Ret to Holy, I retain mana. The other way around, mana drops to 0.

As far as the trinket goes, Keirisonis gives the proper answer. The Spirit of the Sun is completely best in Slot, even the LFR version. The Vial, however, is the worst item for us healers that is 463+. The following Elitist Jerks forum thread, about half-way down, lists every available trinket along with their average Spirit/Mp5 and Int values. Numbers in parenthesis on the Fruit Barrel and Qui-Xi's Seal are because, as a Resto Shaman, you have access to a Mana Totem. These items grant passive Spirit rather than Spirit Proc, so you'll see higher mana returns in more situations.

http://elitistjerks.com/f79/t130574-resto_raid_healing_5_1_mop/#Trinkets

Edit: Checked up on it. It's because of fixed mana pools and how they're calculated, especially as it pertains to us hybrids. Swapping specs causes you to lose your resources for that spec. So when I go from Holy to Ret, I lose it all. However, going from Ret to Holy (or in your case, from either to the other), it's because Ret, Restoration, and Elemental are all based around the smaller, 60k mana pools. I have Holy Insight, you have Spiritual Insight, and Druids get Natural Insight, which multiplies our mana pools... but not the mana we lose.
Edited by Wards on 12/25/2012 10:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Numbers in parenthesis on the Fruit Barrel and Qui-Xi's Seal are because, as a Resto Shaman, you have access to a Mana Totem. These items grant passive Spirit rather than Spirit Proc, so you'll see higher mana returns in more situations.

Yeah. I really want a pure spirit trink but those are drops. I have terrible lucky on drops of things I need for my characters. It took me like two months of running h jade spirit daily to get the helm drop. XD So I'm sort of searching for other options trink wise.

Checked up on it. It's because of fixed mana pools and how they're calculated, especially as it pertains to us hybrids.

Why then do I lose mana on my priest but not my shammy? I get going from holy to ret you'd lose it all but wouldn't I at least keep some of my mana going from shadow to holy if you retain mana going from ret to holy?
Reply Quote
12/25/2012 10:57 AMPosted by Eiltae
Why then do I lose mana on my priest but not my shammy? I get going from holy to ret you'd lose it all but wouldn't I at least keep some of my mana going from shadow to holy if you retain mana going from ret to holy?

It's because of math.

If you're a hybrid spec, your base mana pool is 60k (at 90). When you change specs, you lose all mana, but your total mana pool also increases to 300k. I.e. you gain 240k mana.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
^ Just like that.

It's the Insight ability us hybrids have. Just like any other class, we lose all of our mana when we change specs, we're no different in that regard. But! That's when WoW looks at our new abilities and says, "Hey, this guy has a special ability that increases his mana by 400%, gained at level 10 because of Holy/Balance/Resto/Resto. I need to give him the 240k mana he needs." And so we do.

Priests, mages, warlocks... they do not have this talent, so when they spec swap, bam, the mana stays gone because there isn't an ability to give it back to you.

Edit: I see what you mean about trinket drops. It is unfortunate, but yeah, RNG can be fickle. In that case, allow me to add that since you already have the Spirits of the Sun, your next most powerful trinkets are in order (taking into account that you seem to be doing mostly LFR): The purchased Darkmoon Fair Trinket Relic of Chi Ji (if you have the gold), Qin-Xi's Seal, and then the 496 Trinket from the Dominance Offensive.

The Dominance Offensive trinket is for certain above your Ichorous Blood you possess, but it looks like you also have two other solid choices, 496 belt and 496 Ring. I don't know enough about Shaman, however, to suggest which one is best to buy and which one is best to wait for a lucky drop with good itemization.

I can say for sure, though, that it wouldn't *hurt* to select your new trinket. ^_^
Math says that upgrading your trinket will give you a net gain of +305 Int and about +250 Spirit (or, if you spend JP to upgrade your Heroic trinket, a gain of 239 Int and about +196 Spirit).
Edited by Wards on 12/25/2012 12:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
If you're a hybrid spec, your base mana pool is 60k (at 90). When you change specs, you lose all mana, but your total mana pool also increases to 300k. I.e. you gain 240k mana.

^ Just like that.

It's the Insight ability us hybrids have. Just like any other class, we lose all of our mana when we change specs, we're no different in that regard. But! That's when WoW looks at our new abilities and says, "Hey, this guy has a special ability that increases his mana by 400%, gained at level 10 because of Holy/Balance/Resto/Resto. I need to give him the 240k mana he needs." And so we do.

Ah! I think my slow self sees at last! Thanks! I was reading it as Priests being hybrids too, but the classes have other mana-type things (energy, rage, etc.) while Priests just use mana. They have the buff the other classes because those prime states are different where as priests are more or less across the board equal, right?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Edited my above post to talk about trinkets.

Yep. Even though the Shaman uses mana across the board, the different specs use different amounts. Same with Druid. The default isn't the same as other classes' defaults.

And, hmm. I'll be honest, I've never considered Priests as hybrids, nor the plate tanks of warrior and DK, even though they can all three fulfill multiple roles. I'm not sure why Druids/Shaman/Paladins/Monks are. I mean, The Shaman uses mana as well for all of their specs, and it has both dps and healing ability. Funky.
Edited by Wards on 12/25/2012 12:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
I can say for sure, though, that it wouldn't *hurt* to select your new trinket. ^_^

I'm so worried that I'll get that trink and then have a trink drop in LFR. XD You know how I said I got the dungeon helm after almost two months of daily runs? Well, the next week and a couple weeks afterward, I got the token helm. XD Naturally, nothing before but when I reforge and gem up, a better one drops the next day. Haha!

It's almost maddening too. It seemed like all the vender trinks in Cata where spirit when I wanted int and now that I want spirit, they're all int. XD Haha!

The Shaman uses mana as well for all of their specs, and it has both dps and healing ability. Funky.

I could've been just a buff. Though I only leveled this character near the end of Cata, I had heard that Shammie healers were considered the weakest for a long while (save the DS encounter with all the stacking.) I dunno though.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]