Get the Desktop App for Battle.net Now
- All your games in 1 place
- Log in once
- Automatic game updates
Ok...thank you. I just hope its easy because sometimes I'm really bad at doing a new role. I'll have to try dps after healing. I've always been a tank and had some good and bad healers so I wanted to try and get some helpful info before running a dungeon and getting my tank mad at me. I'll come back and tell everyone how my first run does. If I do really well I may make a new thread.
Edited by Fiuunn on 12/31/2012 6:38 AM PST
Pretty much keep renew rolling on the tank. If it isn't enough, then cast heal on them as well. Or bubble. As you level up you'll get better at predicting damage and will have more tools at your disposal. until like level 30 though you shouldn't need to do much else. I do recommend finding some good mouseover macros for your raid frames or a healing addon like vuhdo or heal bot for laster dungeons but they are by no means required (although it takes much more work to heal that way for much less of a result.)
want the easiest mode? go disc, keep bubble and renew rolling on the tank. and if a dps grabs aggro(because before 20 most tanks aren't great at aoe holding) repet renew on dps and bubble if they die fast...
now for holy its keep renew rolling like crazy and pop bubble if damage gets too difficult to heal through with just heal...
I just started this priest a couple of weeks ago, and it was my first real healer, especially in dungeons. As soon as I hit 15 I started dungeoning, and it was insanely easy at those levels. I was worried as well, but as others had said, just shield and renew and you'll be ok.
Another +1 for Healbot. Best mod ever, I use it all the time.
You don't say whether you are discipline or holy, so i will confine myself to more general rules. I have all six specs of healer at 85.
1. Your job is to keep yourself and the tank alive. You are a cloth wearer. You die easily. Watch your own health carefully. As a priest, stay back! There are a few fights where you need to be near the tank, but those will be obvious and they are rare. Your spells cannot go through walls or around corners, so watch your line of sight.
2. If a DPS is determined to die, they are going to die. Do your best to keep all the dps and pets alive, but YOU are your first priority and the tank is your second priority. Do not use up all your mana on a DPS who is standing in purple stuff.
3. If a mob attacks you, run to the tank. Do NOT try to run away.
4. You do not have to use a raid frame add on like healbot or vuhdo, but it makes you faster. Sometimes on the forums people will ask "Should i use healbot or mouse over macros?" This is somewhat like asking if you want cereal or milk for breakfast. They work best together. They are NOT mutually exclusive.
5. Grow a thick skin. People do not like to accept that they died because they stood in nasty purple stuff, and will blame you. If you need lots of praise and hugs, healer is the wrong role for you.
6. Always do your best, even for characters who are rude or thoughtless. This next part is my opinion, and not everyone agrees, but... To me, if you are letting people die because you are mad at them, or because they are stupid, you should not be a healer. We are a support role, not the star.
7. Consider running each instance first as DPS before healing it. Watch for damage spikes and moments when large numbers of adds appear. Then when you are healing, have a shield or a renew on the tank and perhaps melee DPS when those spikes are about to occur.
8. Healing is mostly paying attention. I am aware that some WOW players watch movies or tv or text while playing. Don't do it while healing. Healing is sometimes long slow periods of tedium followed by moments when total concentration and alertness are required.
9. Read all your spell tooltips carefully and make sure you have keybinds that you can reach quickly for your main spells. Since we now learn new spells without going to a trainer, make sure you watch your spell book carefully and think about each new spell when you get it.
10. Sometimes tanks are very aggressive and pull new groups before you are ready. Get used to it. If you are low on mana, drink as soon as you can. Bind a macro that casts Power Word: Shield on your tank (who should be your focus.) You can cast this while running. You can also buy or make Swiftness Potion, which gives you a speed burst and has let me save many a rash tank.
Grow a thick skin. People do not like to accept that they died because they stood in nasty purple stuff, and will blame you. If you need lots of praise and hugs, healer is the wrong role for you.
Yeah I've noticed while some tanks do take responsibility, I got yelled at the other day for not keeping the tank up when I was a) looting a corpse so was about a half second back b) he ran and rolled far ahead of everybody else and pulled before anybody else was with him, and c) he pulled 10 mobs at a time, one of which was a boss.
Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.
Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.
Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.