Light of Dawn vs Eternal Flame

90 Human Paladin
I've recently started working on my paladin in raids and i've been wondering which of the two spells above to use. I've been told that Eternal Flame is better because of the constant illuminated healing it has but i've noticed that Light of Dawn usually does a higher percentage of healing on recount. So i guess my question would be towards the other Holy Paladins out there... Do you use Light of Dawn or Eternal Flame (Raid Healing not Tank Healing)
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
aus
I use both but I prefer to use eternal flame except when the raid is grouped and their is raid wide aoe.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Well i tried that out, and you're definately right on that one. I'm doing MSV right now, and we're on the kings... The king with volley is definately one for Eternal Flame but as for the kings in which you have to stack on, Light of Dawn is DEFINATELY better. I went from 35k HPS average to 60k average on that fight!

Thank you for the opinion :)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Comparing these two spells isn't as simple as that, as grabbing Eternal Flame also means not choosing Sacred Shield.

I've done the math in a different thread, but let me give you my own values so you can see some ballpark numbers. Taking my Crit (18%), Mastery (32%), and Beacon transfer into account, and ignoring the 4-piece PvP set bonus I have...

Light of Dawn (unglyphed) will heal 210k total, or 70k per Holy Power.
Eternal Flame will heal 315k total, or 105k per Holy Power.
Word of Glory will heal 150k total, or 50k per Holy Power (I'm estimating for this one).

Eternal Flame is clearly superior HPS and the beacon aids the tank (less of an issue for you since you're raid heals), not to mention the Mastery has a greater chance to be used thanks to the HoT extending the normal 15 seconds to 45. It does have several drawbacks, however, in that it very focused and the HoT has a fair chance to be overheal. Not to mention, the HoT half takes 30 seconds to dish out. Light of Dawn is immediate.

Still, an extra 105k is nothing to scoff at.

On the other hand, by ignoring Eternal Flame, you can grab Sacred Shield. In my gear, this sucker shields for 160k over 30 seconds.

So what does all this mean?

Continuing to ignore my PvP set bonus, I average about 12 HP gains each minute. I could thus cast a combination of 4 Eternal Flames and Light of Dawns. Assuming that the HoT portion of Eternal Flame/WoG makes up half of it's healing (and always assuming we cast it off-beacon)

With Eternal Flame: You gain 105k healing by choosing your stronger EF over LoD.
4 EF's/0 LoD: +420k healing
3 EF's/1 LoD: +315k healing
2 EF's/2 LoD: +210k healing
1 EF's/3 LoD: +105k healing
0 EF's/4 LoD: +0 healing

With Sacred Shield: You lose 60k by choosing a weaker WoG versus your LoD.
4 WoG/ 0 LoD: -240k healing, +320k shield
3 WoG/ 1 LoD: -180k Healing, +320k shield
2 WoG/ 2 LoD: -120k Healing, +320k shield
1 WoG/ 3 LoD: -60k healing, +320k shield
0 WoG/ 4 LoD: +320k shield

These are very rough estimates, but they should give you an indication. Eternal Flame *is* a small bit stronger (looks like 1,500 HPS more), and Sacred Shield requires two global cooldowns each minute to sustain. However, since you're a raid healer, you need to provide the healing where it's needed most, and in your case this would be by spamming Light of Dawn like it's patch 5.0.4, and you want to blind your teammates with the Darkmoon card Proc. Best of luck in your raid! ^_^
Edited by Wards on 12/18/2012 8:55 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
With Eternal Flame: You gain 105k healing by choosing your stronger EF over LoD.
4 EF's/0 LoD: +420k healing
3 EF's/1 LoD: +315k healing
2 EF's/2 LoD: +210k healing
1 EF's/3 LoD: +105k healing
0 EF's/4 LoD: +0 healing

Correct me if I'm wrong but, LoD does still refresh your illuminated healing on every target it reaches, thus extending its healing capability? I wouldn't even begin to know how to calculate it, and if it doesn't I haven't really noticed as I don't track the actual absorb only the EF.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Yeah, smaller things like that are harder to quantify, and each one changes in importance depending upon your raid size, healer role, and healer composition. The only real way to gauge it is to take a step back and look at all of the differences and make an intelligent decision. Logs help, but they will change to a small degree every single fight and don't tell you things such as "Your Light of Dawn hit targets with 2 seconds left on Illuminated Mastery six times in the fight, thus extending the duration! Those same targets were also damaged 9 seconds later, consuming the full Mastery."

For Light of Dawn...
Pro: Light of Dawn has lower Overheal, since it's six smaller heals on different targets. It is chosen during periods of raid damage when everyone needs healing. The smart heal function ensures less waste.

Pro: Light of Dawn will refresh any Mastery you currently have on those six targets by 15 seconds (beacon transfer does not refresh beacon unless your beacon is one of the six targets). This is stronger on 10-man than 25-man.

Con: If you have not healed those same targets within the last 15 seconds, however, there is no refresh benefit, and the randomness of chosen targets does not guarantee success. As well, Light of Dawn is often used *solely* when there is raid damage. Once raid damage ends, if any of those targets do not take further damage within 15 seconds, Mastery is wasted. For many bosses, raid-wide damage happens in chunks, meaning that this is often occurs frequently.

Pro: Light of Dawn focus allows Sacred Shield selection, which is a very powerful tank healer. Pre-emptive healing is beautiful.

Con: Sacred Shield is two (or more) global cooldowns each minute, which is a loss of an efficient Holy Light at worst and no difference at best if there are enough brief rest periods during the fight.

Regarding Eternal Flame...

Con: Eternal Flame has a greater chance for overheal on the healing portion, as it is a single target heal. This could especially be the case when a crit occurs.

Pro: Eternal flame places a 30 second HoT on the target, giving you an effective 45 seconds before Mastery is wasted. This HoT will renew your Mastery on the target every tick for the full duration, both Mastery that is already on the target, as well as any additional heals you hit that target with during its duration. Eternal Flame complements low-to-moderate degrees of raid healing, and is stronger in 10-man.

Con: Eternal Flame has a greater chance for wasteful heal sniping; as an instant heal, you would often choose the lowest health person in the raid. If it tops them off (or close to it) at the same time as another healer chooses to heal them as well, the other healer has wasted heals which is sad. :( This is most evident when healing with a Druid class that uses less immediately obvious healing (that is also instant) than with a Smart Healer, such as Disc, Shaman Chain-Healer, or Monk, in which case their spells will automatically shift to a different ally.

Pro: Eternal Flame is easier to use as a Holy Power dump than Light of Dawn (unglyphed), especially comparing 10-man to 25-man, since while you can often find one person that needs healing, finding six can be an issue. And as you can see from the above numbers, it is less efficient healing to go halfsies on LoD/SS/EF/WoG than it is to go fully one way or another.

Pro: Eternal Flame is simply stronger HPS than the Light of Dawn/Sacred Shield combination.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Question @Wards, does your pvp 4 set work with Divine Purpose anymore? It currently isn't for me.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
It does not, as of a few weeks ago or so. I believe Blizzard considered it a bug and fixed it, along with buffing the PvE 4-piece set (Used to be, the PvE set reduced Holy Shock cooldown to 5 seconds, now it is 4 seconds).

It was definitely a needed change, as the PvP set shouldn't be hands down the set to grab. However, Blizzard made the change without making any mention of it, just like they haven't mentioned many of the recent paladin changes, which is why many were greatly displeased.

Currently, though my estimates are rough until I finish my calculations, the PvP set is marginally more mana efficient than the PvE set while providing equivalent bonus healing. However, it is GREATLY more limited in Talent choices, spell choice, and what roles it can fulfill in the raid. This also assumes equivalent iLevel, which they are not. For those reasons, and because PvP gear requires PvPing, many raiders prefer the PvE set.
Edited by Wards on 12/18/2012 9:03 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]